Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Submission 272690: six US coins, with results & commentary

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 28, 2023 1:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just got my latest submission back. As is usually the case with me, it's a mixed bag of stuff, heavy on US Type.

1853 large cent
Results: XF40
As expected. No surprises here. I like the slightly contrasting patina on this coin. It's a bit darker brown than the norm, but I actually like darker brown coppers if the surfaces are OK on them. It got a straight grade, which was the main thing.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510050

1854 large cent
Results: AU58 BN
Disappointment. This coin was formerly housed in an NGC MS62 BN holder. That old insert was included with the coin when I bought it. I believe the former owner had cracked it out of the old NGC slab to put it in a Dansco 7070 album. Oh well. Actually, looking at the TrueView and noting the slight rub on the high points of the hair, I don't really blame PCGS for going 58 on this one. I'm also disappointed in the way the TrueView seems to accentuate the slight discolored areas on the reverse. I don't remember noticing them when the coin was in hand. So this one didn't grade out as hoped, nor did it photograph well, but as it happens, all of the disappointments with this submission got encapsulated into this one coin. The rest did OK, I think.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510051

1871 Seated dollar With Motto
Results: F12
Win. The grade was pretty much as expected. My main concern was getting a straight grade with no issues like old cleaning noted. And that happened, so I'm pleased. Though it's in a fairly modest grade, I like the contrasting "CircCam" toning on this coin. Also, I bought it on eBay raw, for $400, and the PCGS trend price in F12 is $550, so that's pretty good.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510052

1877-S Trade dollar
Results: VF35
Win. This one was a pleasant surprise. I was thoroughly expecting a "details" grade on this one, because I personally cracked it out of an ANACS "VF20 details/cleaned" holder. I like the look of the coin. It has that contrasting toning I go for. Not only did it unexpectedly straight-grade at PCGS, but it also received a 15-point boost, and it photographed nicely, too. I bought this coin in the former ANACS holder on eBay for $200. Its PCGS trend price in the new holder is $400. That's a pretty big win, so I'm delighted with the outcome on this one, and will put it in my collection.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510053

2022 $5 gold Eagle (1/10 oz.)
Results: MS70
Win. Well, you can't top that grade result, now, can you? This is only the second time I've ever made a 70-grade in a TPG submission, and the first time with a US coin. (The first was an Austrian commemorative I made a PCGS PR70 DCAM on.) And this one is all gravy, since the coin itself cost me nothing, and I'm only into it for the submission costs and nothing else. I won the coin in a generous giveaway last August, from @jessewvu, who again deserves my thanks.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510054

1904 $20 Liberty
Results: MS62
Not my coin. This was piggybacked on my submission by my friend Randy Abercrombie. I was hoping he would get a 64 on it, but looking at that mark on the cheek in the photos (which I didn't really notice so much in hand), I can see why PCGS gave this one a 62. I don't think that's a terrible result. The coin has nice cartwheel luster, and I think Randy said he bought it a long time ago, when gold was cheap.
https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510055

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 5:19AM

Hi Rob,
    First of all. What a Beautiful way to describe to us your results!
    Everything in detail w/ them important TV photos.
    Glad for you and your friend for all "straight graded" comebacks.
    For us collector's, that's always been the first litmus test. lol
    I love that Trade Dollar and It's worn Cameo appearance, along with the fact from where the coin started til it's satisfying arrival end.
    Great feeling huh? This is what this hobby is all about. Besides the collecting base factor. But the buying, sending in and than the hoping for those winning goals of the accomplishments.
    Then finally, achieving them! AWESOME👌
    Esp when the least expected happens.
    Wow, first from an under quality TPG holder ( no offense ANACS) to the BEST holder. Secondly, 15 grades BETTER? Wow!
    Than lastly, from a "detailed grade" to that beautiful hopeful straight grade!
    Congratulations.
    Not only on the T.D. but for the others as well. Even though it looks like only one was
    not as exciting as the rest.
    Thanks Rob
    Keep on hunting
    Joeykoins :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post, thank you, this is how we can educate one another about the vicissitudes of the grading companies.

I have just discovered You Tube "unboxing" videos and I can't believe how many "dealers" look at their newly slabbed coins and say they have no idea why they got a disappointing grade when it's obvious to anyone with average collecting experience.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice results. The 1854 cent may have been a 62 before being cracked and placed in an album. Doesnt take much to get a bit of rub. It might be worth more as a 58 anyways. The everyman registry set collectors might want it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan... Great results.... Thanks for the interesting commentary and the TruViews. Nice coins for sure, that $5 Gold Eagle is a real beauty. Cheers, RickO

Hey Rob,
    I too have 5 coins waiting to be graded as we speak. I should be hearing from our host, any day now. When I receive them. I'll try to display them and give those keen detailed descriptions and feelings on my coins as well as you did. I'll try anyway. 😗
    Cool!
    B)
    One is a crackout reholdered PCGS 1926s Peace Dollar ms 63.
    I want them to place the "Overpolished" variety on the slab. Along with hopefully, an upgrade like you got?
    I'll keep ya guys posted.
    Thanks 😊

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did well.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report - really like that 1853 large cent. Thanks for taking the time to share.

• I really enjoyed your post and congratulations on a couple of wins. I think you did very well!
    This brings a question to mind. I was going to post the question here but I do not want to derail your thread so I will post my own thread.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the excellent post. "You're humble and lovable".

Oh, and thanks for leaving "The Darkside" momentarily, for us guys!
    :D

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2023 2:52AM

@lordmarcovan said:
    1877-S Trade dollar
    Results: VF35
    Win. This one was a pleasant surprise. I was thoroughly expecting a "details" grade on this one, because I personally cracked it out of an ANACS "VF20 details/cleaned" holder. I like the look of the coin. It has that contrasting toning I go for. Not only did it unexpectedly straight-grade at PCGS, but it also received a 15-point boost, and it photographed nicely, too. I bought this coin in the former ANACS holder on eBay for $200. Its PCGS trend price in the new holder is $400. That's a pretty big win, so I'm delighted with the outcome on this one, and will put it in my collection.
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46510053

Oops.
    Correction: I got my Trade dollars mixed up, there. There were two I bought around the same time. One was the aforementioned ANACS VF20 details/cleaned coin, which I cracked out.

But it turns out that's not the coin here. This one is a different Trade dollar, which I had bought as a raw XF. So it wasn't as big a win as I thought it was, if it had been the ex-ANACS coin (which it's not).

I'm into this one for $379.98 plus the slab fees. So rather than it having been a great coup, it's more like I paid full retail for it (if not slightly more). Still, it's a nice coin, and I'm satisfied with it. In the straight VF35 holder, it's good enough for inclusion in my collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and some nice coins there.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file