Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Baseball Error - Never seen before

I recently acquired a small collection of 70s and 80s Topps cards. Three of the 1976 Topps (including Dwight Evans) had no stats or card number on the back of the card. The green frame was there, but anything that would have been printed in black was missing. Has anyone seen this printing error before?

Comments

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Pics?

• Options

At work now, but will add pics when I get home.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t seen it on 76s specifically, but I did have some 74s like that years ago.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Dewey NSOB

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Derrus said:
    Here is the Dwight Evans -

Very cool, sort of a reverse blackless.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Sweeeeeet

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of these are just something uninteresting that we have all seen before. I do have to say I like that card. It isn’t prevalent enough to be considered an error or a variation - but it is a unique and uncommon print defect. I do not think it is valuable but bet you can get somewhere between $10 and $100 for it. If it were mine I would keep and enjoy it. Cool card.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Most of these are just something uninteresting that we have all seen before. I do have to say I like that card. It isn’t prevalent enough to be considered an error or a variation - but it is a unique and uncommon print defect. I do not think it is valuable but bet you can get somewhere between $10 and $100 for it. If it were mine I would keep and enjoy it. Cool card.

Thank you for the information. I do intend to keep it, as it is a pretty cool defect. I have two others like it, but I can't remember the players off the top of my head.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a simple case of they forgot to print the black plate part on the back...so does this mean there's most likely 131 others from that same sheet that also have no black on back?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that is much rarer than a blank back. I can't recall seeing another like it.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Estil said:
    Looks like a simple case of they forgot to print the black plate part on the back...so does this mean there's most likely 131 others from that same sheet that also have no black on back?

Yes

• Options

@Derrus said:

@brad31 said:

Thank you for the information. I do intend to keep it, as it is a pretty cool defect. I have two others like it, but I can't remember the players off the top of my head.

The fourth plate run of black ink was not applied. Unless they switched to the six plate machine the Germans made around 1976.

Here’s mine that I pulled from a 1969 vending case.

The ones on the right missed the final black plate run.

They are VERY rare. Keep it. Pressmen usually never forgot to apply a plate.

• Options

In 1968 opc used cyan, black, green ?, and magenta.

The bottom card looks Sun exposed but it did not have the final magenta plate run applied.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Evans is definitely unusual. good idea to keep it. If this were a 1956 mantle, it would sell for a ton as a variation. Dwight just doesn't have that appeal, although I am a fan of those Red Sox teams. Rice, Lynn, Evans, YAZ. incredible.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@olb31 said:
    The Evans is definitely unusual. good idea to keep it. If this were a 1956 mantle, it would sell for a ton as a variation. Dwight just doesn't have that appeal, although I am a fan of those Red Sox teams. Rice, Lynn, Evans, YAZ. incredible.

Spot on. He can name his price in a trade or sale to an Evans fan who wants all Evans cards.

• Options

Thank you all for the information, I'll definitely hold on to these cards!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect Dewey per se, but he’s one of my favorite players, so I’m a buyer at the right price, if you’re willing to sell.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Almost looks like a "Proof"

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15