Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1902 Matte Proof Crown

Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 25, 2023 10:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here's an interesting coin for me - a 1902 Matte Proof Crown. I've wanted a Crown based on the reverse design, and when I saw this one come up for auction the level of detail looked outstanding. Also, reviewing prior auctions for matte proofs they of course lack luster but they also just seemed to lack eye appeal in general.

But I think this one is nice - it arrived today. Thanks to @Senator32 for his opinion and quick video before the auction - it was very helpful!

Any one else have some of these 1902 coins?

And my video in hand
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cn3afjYAdNc/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

(Hmmm... not sure why I can't post the video directly here, but you can follow the link.)

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is an exceptional coin and far above average. As this is "my area" I have a matte and a currency. Majestic piece when well presented such as yours and again, as nice as I have seen. IMO, the reverse is simply superb in the pictures.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really lovely example! Also seemingly a near impossible type to find in grades above MS63. Yours is also exempt from the dreaded streak marks many of these have. I love it! Good get!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - thanks for the great feedback. My understanding is that matte proof was in style because it allowed the design to come out really sharp, but that collectors did not like the look. The design IS sharp, but yes, you need a lot of light to bring out the color.

Under magnification, the surfaces are pretty funky - I believe they "pickled" the dies to get the matte effect, which I guess means they etched the surfaces of the dies?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried to land both a commercial and matte proof in 65 holders. My last matte proof attempt at PCGS was graded 64. Sadly I thought that was the one that would make it. I like this one year type. I suspect there will always be demand for 65 and higher. Sometimes its seems the line between 64 and 65 gets blurry...

I like your coin- it has the look

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Personally I don't think it all that important that the coin have the number but rather the appearance and yours does seem to fit the bill.
    It actually is my understanding that matte proofs were created post-strike by SANDBLASTING the coins. The pickling business is what I understand accomplished by acid bath to the dies and then polish the high points (fields) to mirror finish and this imparts the occasional contrast between device and field.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply beautiful, congratulations.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a “short set” of the 1902 Matte Proofs in the original box. They are all raw of course.

The “short set” has all of the coins up the gold sovereign, which includes the half sovereign. The complete set added the two and five pound coins. Naturally that adds a lot of $ to the cost. I had a Matte Proof 2 pound before I bought the raw short set. I added the five pound to make it complete. Both of those big coins are certified.

None of these coins seem to come in high grade, like beyond PR-63. It might be an urban legend, but the mint employees were said to have been so displeased with the Matte proofs that they rubbed them on their leather aprons to shine them up sometimes.

A dealer has had the complete 11 piece set for sale at the Winter and Summer FUN shows, It caught my attention, but I’m not going for it. The set goes for around $11,000.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

That has the best eye appeal of any ‘02 matte proof I have seen. Really nice pickup, Bob.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

Without diverting from the OP, the TPGs have great difficulty in consistently grading the Mattes of both this date and the later non-standard years & best leave it at that. It can be said potential bargains are to be had. Sticking to the 1902s, I managed to get a soapbox ANACS 5 Pound coin graded only 60 (prob. 62-3).