Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Card Grading fees based up Declared Value

I see some cards on eBay have sold for $10,000 less than the value for certain grades listed at PSA. A year earlier they might have sold at the higher PSA price but the price has dropped substantially. So what value does PSA use to base their fees on? I think that it’s very unfair if they aren’t using current market prices.

Comments

• In the set registry they list "PSA a Value" and "APR Value" in different columns. AMR seems like the latest auction price, almost real-time. I would say similar to 130 point. PSA Value seems to be something like Beckett magazine pricing. So more of an historical average. That's what I get out of it.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:
    I see some cards on eBay have sold for $10,000 less than the value for certain grades listed at PSA. A year earlier they might have sold at the higher PSA price but the price has dropped substantially. So what value does PSA use to base their fees on? I think that it’s very unfair if they aren’t using current market prices.

When you submit a card, never assume it is a ten (high grade).

If it is a ten and the card is significant and of great value, they will contact you about an upcharge.

In my limited experience with it, they are fair about it.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Who says they aren't using current market values? I think they are. Fact is we don't really know for sure what PSA is using for value when assigning upcharges, and it doesn't matter to be honest, there's nothing you can do about it, if you don't pay you don't get your card back...

The best thing you can do is try and accurately assign your card a fair grade and then pick a service level based on a declared value that you are comfortable having your card insured at while it is in their facility.

Plus, if you're talking about submitting a card that is fluctuating $10K in value then it's likely at one of the service levels that processes in 3 days (the fastest quoted turnaround time they have). So pick Super Express and you'll wait a week to see what the upcharge is (if any).

I think you're putting way too much thought into this whole process, just my 2 cents. What is the card you are wanting to submit?

• @Jayman1982 said:
    Who says they aren't using current market values? I think they are. Fact is we don't really know for sure what PSA is using for value when assigning upcharges, and it doesn't matter to be honest, there's nothing you can do about it, if you don't pay you don't get your card back...

The best thing you can do is try and accurately assign your card a fair grade and then pick a service level based on a declared value that you are comfortable having your card insured at while it is in their facility.

Plus, if you're talking about submitting a card that is fluctuating $10K in value then it's likely at one of the service levels that processes in 3 days (the fastest quoted turnaround time they have). So pick Super Express and you'll wait a week to see what the upcharge is (if any).

I think you're putting way too much thought into this whole process, just my 2 cents. What is the card you are wanting to submit?

I am trying to crossover a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10. I already submitted it. I paid $75 for Regular Service. I am trying to get at least a 9. I expect an upcharge. The Gem Mint 10 price on PSA is $25,000 but one hasn’t sold for more than $20,000 since January 2021. Back in 2020 a few sold for more than $50,000! About 20 years ago I bought a PSA Gem Mint 10 for $1,000 on eBay 😀 Then I bought 4 sealed sets. I sent 3 Jordan’s to PSA for grading. 2 came back an 8 and 1 a 7 which I sold on eBay. The 4th one I sent to PRO was graded a 10 and that’s the one I am trying to cross over to PSA. To my naked eyes it looks at least a 9.

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

I am trying to crossover a 1985 Nike Michael Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10. I already submitted it. I paid $75 for Regular Service. I am trying to get at least a 9. I expect an upcharge. The Gem Mint 10 price on PSA is $25,000 but one hasn’t sold for more than $20,000 since January 2021. Back in 2020 a few sold for more than $50,000! About 20 years ago I bought a PSA Gem Mint 10 for $1,000 on eBay 😀 Then I bought 4 sealed sets. I sent 3 Jordan’s to PSA for grading. 2 came back an 8 and 1 a 7 which I sold on eBay. The 4th one I sent to PRO was graded a 10 and that’s the one I am trying to cross over to PSA. To my naked eyes it looks at least a 9.

I would have picked $75 Regular as well. Good luck with your grading results!

• @Jayman1982 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

I would have picked $75 Regular as well. Good luck with your grading results!

Thank you!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2023 5:44PM

As prices rose during pandemic PSA updated values nearly every day, now that prices are plummeting on most non-vintage there is nary an update to be found since last spring when bubble burst.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are trying to cross over from a PRO holder, you may actually be lucky if it even receives a grade from PSA.
    Keep us posted!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • @PROMETHIUS88 said:
    If you are trying to cross over from a PRO holder, you may actually be lucky if it even receives a grade from PSA.
    Keep us posted!

Well, years ago I bought 4 sealed sets from the same seller and two 1985 Nike Jordan’s were graded PSA 8 and one came back a PSA 7. The PRO which graded a 10 looked just as good as the PSA 8. I am confident it is legit and that PSA will grade it. The question is will it get at least a 9. I will keep you posted!

• Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Keep us posted!

Well, years ago I bought 4 sealed sets from the same seller and two 1985 Nike Jordan’s were graded PSA 8 and one came back a PSA 7. The PRO which graded a 10 looked just as good as the PSA 8. I am confident it is legit and that PSA will grade it. The question is will it get at least a 9. I will keep you posted!

call me what you will, but I find it a bit odd you had 4 examples of the card, but only sent 3 of them to PSA...why would you send the 4th one to PRO?

• @Kepper19 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Keep us posted!

call me what you will, but I find it a bit odd you had 4 examples of the card, but only sent 3 of them to PSA...why would you send the 4th one to PRO?

It was at least 20 years ago and I was a novice. Now I am wondering the same thing myself! LOL. Maybe my feeling back then is they all looked the same to my naked eye, I knew that PRO was an easier grader and it would probably come back a 10 which it did, and I knew in the future I could always do a PSA crossover, plus PSA was quite a bit more expensive to grade cards. Anybody can think what they want to who reads my posts but this is the truth and it is what it is! 😀

• Yankeefan320Yankeefan320 Posts: 160 ✭✭
    edited February 1, 2023 11:35PM

@Kepper19 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Keep us posted!

“PSA labels are being printed, and each eligible item is being sonically sealed within a PSA holder.”

I would think since it’s at Stage 5 my 1985 Nike Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10 must have crossed over to at least my minimum PSA 9.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankeefan320 said:

@Kepper19 said:

@Yankeefan320 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Keep us posted!

“PSA labels are being printed, and each eligible item is being sonically sealed within a PSA holder.”

I would think since it’s at Stage 5 my 1985 Nike Jordan PRO Gem Mint 10 must have crossed over to at least my minimum PSA 9.

That is an assumption I would not make. All cards go through Stage 5.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be worth celebrating if the order had been put on hold during the processing, because then you'd likely be able to anticipate getting a message from PSA asking for approval for a fees upcharge relative to the increased value of the item. If it is taking a long time to be processed but there is no official hold on it, it could just as easily come back MinSize as graded.

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

YF320, if it was 20 years ago there were a few grading companies trying to get going. Even PSA was relatively new. It makes sense you wanted to sperad it out because maybe PRO would be where PSA is today. If the other three came back graded, I'm sure this one will as well. I'm rootin for ya. At $75 it should be a quick turnaround. Keep us posted!

• @totallyradd said:
    YF320, if it was 20 years ago there were a few grading companies trying to get going. Even PSA was relatively new. It makes sense you wanted to sperad it out because maybe PRO would be where PSA is today. If the other three came back graded, I'm sure this one will as well. I'm rootin for ya. At $75 it should be a quick turnaround. Keep us posted!

I will. Thanks! It’s at stage 6 so I should know shortly!

• jraytayjraytay Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    As prices rose during pandemic PSA updated values nearly every day, now that prices are plummeting on most non-vintage there is nary an update to be found since last spring when bubble burst.

The link they have to RECENT SALES PRICES from Ebay is much more current than their price guide.