Home U.S. Coin Forum

Playing with Some Slab Shots

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 15, 2023 4:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Took some slab shots today, and I was fairly pleased with the results. Some things need a bit more ironing out, but for now I'm happy.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent technique. The coins are really sharp. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice technique. I would think you would be able to align the holders.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

One case where you don't want to is because the coin is slightly rotated in the holder. It seems the obverse shot of the 42 dime had this issue. The reverse doesn't have wonky prongs, but you can see the rotation.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

One case where you don't want to is because the coin is slightly rotated in the holder. It seems the obverse shot of the 42 dime had this issue. The reverse doesn't have wonky prongs, but you can see the rotation.

Yes, this is true. I had some extra time to redo the dime photo and I think the new one is much better with the prongs in line. It's in the OP.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great work, these look amazing!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, you did a nice job with that.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea. I usually don't spend too much time on slabs... I focus on the large closeups. I hadn't thought to superimpose the coin over the slab. I might have to give it a try one of these days.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

slab pic, then coin pic, then photoshop coin onto slab? like APMEX does sometimes?

they look nice - I do have a minor suggestion

right now you are flipping slab side to side (obverse background is lighter on top than bottom, reverse background lighter on bottom)
    if you flipped top to bottom, you would not see the background light difference between slabs and you would not have to rotate slab pic during editing.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    slab pic, then coin pic, then photoshop coin onto slab? like APMEX does sometimes?

they look nice - I do have a minor suggestion

right now you are flipping slab side to side (obverse background is lighter on top than bottom, reverse background lighter on bottom)
    if you flipped top to bottom, you would not see the background light difference between slabs and you would not have to rotate slab pic during editing.

Yes - this is how APMEX does it but I don't think they do it very well - that's my opinion though. They've got a lot of coins so I don't think they take the time to make it look good.

As to your idea - I agree. I was thinking that I wanted to make the label side of the slab have the same lighting so it looked consistent so I was hesitant to flip, but when I got to editing I realized I had made the opposite mistake. :lol:

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have APMEX beat on composite shots

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally gorgeous coins Buddy.....Always impressive to see your work.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.... Not something I will try :D The images came out really nice - good work. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file