Options

An EBAY seller BLOCKED ME!

Comments

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@MS66 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I also blocked someone this week for sending me lowball offers. Now, I know, I could just ignore the offers but why do I want to have to sift through them, not to mention the justifications for them which are borderline insulting when he's offering significantly less than I paid.

99.99% of eBay users are a delight. If i can weed out a couple of the 0.01%, all the better.

Why not simply adjust your offer settings to eliminate lowballs?

Don't know about @jmlanzaf, but I don't set up an auto-reject on my listings because I have a handful of buyers who will make offers on 15-20 items at a time and I'm willing to accept an occasional lower than desired offer from them that would otherwise be rejected. I don't want these buyers to get the idea I'm trying to squeeze them for the last dime by having one of their offers rejected automatically.

"...15 or 20 at a time." That's impressive.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one that amuses and sometimes confuses me is the auto-accept feature.

Recently I made offers on three items from one seller that were auto-accepted. And they weren't tiny discounts, either. ;)

I had previously missed out on a couple of the seller's items while deliberating on how much to offer, when it turns out my offer would have been auto-accepted.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

"Penny wise pound foolish. " Thats a British pound.
    Returned a $28 coin to a dealer after spending . $6 to $8K with him. He blocked me for the return.
    He does not seem to sell much. I wonder why?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2023 12:19PM

I had a guy give me a low ball offer on a coin which I declined. He then tried to lecture me about market price. A lot of boorish nonsense you this you that the 19 so and so and on…. I asked him if he had ever seen the TV show You.

Later on he had some low pop slabbed similar nice low pop world coins in auc starting bid $30 - won them all about that or slightly more than slab cost then marked up accordingly. They have done well for me. Sometimes there can be buy opportunity from them.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have blocked a buyer who returned a coin or withdrew a bid because the price of gold or silver moved against them. I could not believe anyone would speculate on the price of a PM with a one or two ounce eBay purchase. Bidiots.

Vplite99
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    Returned a $28 coin to a dealer after spending . $6 to $8K with him. He blocked me for the return.

That happened to me too. Spent like $20k with this guy over 10 years or so , then I returned a coin which was blatantly AT (which was hard to tell from his crappy scans), so he blocks me. So he loses a customer as well as a very competitive underbidder on his auctions.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all these offers and counter offers, it seemed like I had a lot of 'mini bidding wars', if you will, with offers and counter offers, trying to come to an agreement before running out of offers... That was last year. I hardly ever get a counter to an offer anymore, whether initiated by me or a potential buyer.

I have had people try to explain to me in message why their lowball offer was somehow fair a couple times lately. Or my favorite... If it doesn't sell I'll buy it for well below market.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2023 9:02AM

I block non-payers. I had a couple people try to buy multiple times and not pay multiple times (I got burned by the same person more than once before I started blocking). My listings potentially look like damaged goods when I have to put them back up due to non-payment. I think ebay doesn't punish as harshly as it used to for non-payment either. My account got locked due to a single non-payment when I was a teenager. I think they allow you to not pay 3+ times before they lock it nowadays.

I won a coin from a seller once and he blocked me. I paid quickly, didn't complain, etc. Not sure why. I asked a friend to buy another coin on my behalf from that seller. They got blocked. They got the coin with no issues. I repeated with a 3rd person. They also got blocked. I think the seller might just block everyone that wins an item from them. I'm not sure what's going on.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@krueger said:

That happened to me too. Spent like $20k with this guy over 10 years or so , then I returned a coin which was blatantly AT (which was hard to tell from his crappy scans), so he blocks me. So he loses a customer as well as a very competitive underbidder on his auctions.

You spent $20k over ten years with a dealer with crappy scans?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:
    I block non-payers. I had a couple people try to buy multiple times and not pay multiple times,l. And my listings potentially look like damaged goods when I have to put them back up due to non-payment.

I'd say definitely, Coins that are flipped rarely do well the second time, and NPBs make yours look like that, or that they were shilled.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Connecticoin said:

@krueger said:

You spent $20k over ten years with a dealer with crappy scans?

Yes, that is how I got good deals ;)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had someone last week saying that the certified Morgan dollar he ordered arrived with the package slit open, coin missing. I asked him to send me pictures. He said he brought the package back to the post office. He opened a delivery failure claim on ebay, I responded to the guy and the claim with the tracking. He also said he had two operations the day before. He still tried to get the $83 item for free.....And then he wanted to order again at discount after the claim was denied....I try to be nice and understanding. "Trick me once, shame on you, trick me twice, shame on me."

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    So the seller cut off their nose to spite their face. Interesting move to block someone who expressed interest and made a reasonable offer on a niche item. Oh well, they possibly cost themselves 25 bucks and you got the coins cheaper than you had hoped for!

There are members here who sell on ebay and, over the years here, have bragged about blocking ebay buyers if they felt the offers were "insultingly too low". Doesn't matter if the offer is what they are actually worth...all that mattered was if the offer was (much) lower than the seller wanted.

So, the OP doesn't surprise me at all, and wouldn't surprise me if the seller were a forum member here at the time either.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 12:15AM

Blocking doesn't bother me.. Lots of coins out there and lots of sellers and not all the coins are on Ebay or Heritage! Gasp!. Block away sellers I say block um all when they hurt your little feeler's.. Laughs!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    So the seller cut off their nose to spite their face. Interesting move to block someone who expressed interest and made a reasonable offer on a niche item. Oh well, they possibly cost themselves 25 bucks and you got the coins cheaper than you had hoped for!

There are members here who sell on ebay and, over the years here, have bragged about blocking ebay buyers if they felt the offers were "insultingly too low". Doesn't matter if the offer is what they are actually worth...all that mattered was if the offer was (much) lower than the seller wanted.

So, the OP doesn't surprise me at all, and wouldn't surprise me if the seller were a forum member here at the time either.

Statistically unlikely.

You assume the "insultingly low " offers were fair. Every "insultingly low" offer I've gotten was grossly below market and often below melt.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I got blocked by a seller whose coin I purchased had scratches not revealed
    in the photo. I told him as much. He went on a rant. Yikes. The emotional episode
    was worth witnessing. So I have to say some ebay sellers think their coins
    are heavenly pristine-- you know, better than all the others ever offered for sale.
    He told me he blocked me.
    Well good, I told him. I'm glad.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

Disgruntled customers can do a lot of damage to your account. If someone is disrespectful or clearly unreasonable, why do business with them? Heck, I'm a tough customer sometimes and understand other business people reluctant to do business with people they have issues with for some reason. But I have a pretty high tolerance for difficulties but I don't need to get involved in sado-masochistic situations.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Disgruntled customers can do a lot of damage to your account. If someone is disrespectful or clearly unreasonable, why do business with them? Heck, I'm a tough customer sometimes and understand other business people reluctant to do business with people they have issues with for some reason. But I have a pretty high tolerance for difficulties but I don't need to get involved in sado-masochistic situations.

Agreed. I try to accommodate, but some people are just more trouble than they are worth.

I had a customer...well ALMOST customer...a couple weeks ago. They sent me 2 or 3 questions. I answered. They negotiated the price down on a $20 toy to nearly break even. Then they didn't immediately pay. I sent a follow up invoice after 2 days and they replied they would pay the next day. The next day they started asking questions again. I told them that I loved answering those questions but they should have been asked BEFORE the sale. I offered to cancel the sale. They replied in all caps that they didn't want to cancel the sale. But they still didn't pay. So I canceled the sale and blocked them. It wasn't worth my time to maybe net $7 (shipping and ebay fees) on a toy I paid $5 for when the odds of a return seemed high.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 7:18AM

After reading the posts from the dealers on here, I am happy I don't buy from the majority of you.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 7:40AM

hfjacinto, I am quite sure the reverse is equally true.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know tire kickers. Kick 'em 'til they're flat.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 7:46AM

Join the crowd. I’m a glass half full kind of guy. Now you don’t have to remember a year from now that he was a putz. If you bid and come up blocked you know it’s someone you didn’t want to do business with. I’ve been blocked for returning a crappy coin.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    I had someone last week saying that the certified Morgan dollar he ordered arrived with the package slit open, coin missing. I asked him to send me pictures. He said he brought the package back to the post office. He opened a delivery failure claim on ebay, I responded to the guy and the claim with the tracking. He also said he had two operations the day before. He still tried to get the $83 item for free.....And then he wanted to order again at discount after the claim was denied....I try to be nice and understanding. "Trick me once, shame on you, trick me twice, shame on me."

You might get a chargeback. That happened to me on a $200 coin - USPS said it was “delivered”, buyer claims he never got it, I ask the buyer to follow up with USPS to see if they delivered to the wrong address, don’t hear a peep. 2 months later a chargeback from the CC company comes through, ebay charges me for it, plus another $20 to add insult to injury. So much for ebay “seller protection”.

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

@logger7 said:

You might get a chargeback. That happened to me on a $200 coin - USPS said it was “delivered”, buyer claims he never got it, I ask the buyer to follow up with USPS to see if they delivered to the wrong address, don’t hear a peep. 2 months later a chargeback from the CC company comes through, ebay charges me for it, plus another $20 to add insult to injury. So much for ebay “seller protection”.

A legal remedy depending on how much time and effort you want to spend probably exists for that fraud. Possibly he is engaging in mail fraud. If you have a sterling record with no other claims that stuck and the guy has done this before then you could provide the evidence to the credit card company and ebay, etc.. It comes down to evidence. If the buyer provides none and all we have is his word then the decision should be in your favor. Another possibility if you want to fight it would be a small court claim, and I'm sure there are other venues that could be employed creatively.

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

@logger7 said:

Happened to me once but ebay have me the money when i called them (except the $20). Thanks seller protection.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Connecticoin said:

@logger7 said:

Happened to me once but ebay have me the money when i called them (except the $20). Thanks seller protection.

I guess I do not have enough status to call them. I tried their chat to get my money back (which has worked to get sales tax refunds), but they claimed they could do nothing, I tried messaging them to no avail, got tired of wasting time on it and considered it a selling cost. USPS won't pay an insurance claim in that situation either.

• Options

Sometimes the feedback on customers making fraudulent claims in your case gives some clues. Ebay won't do anything unless the squeaky wheel does its job. Also always hold back leaving feedback until potentially problem buyers get the item and are happy. If the fraud starts after delivery, at least you can alert others. It really makes no sense for sellers who work so hard and make so little in many sales to leave the typical delirious feedback until the deal is finally done.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea why one would get upset over being blocked by a seller. Either you did something truly annoying (in which case you deserved to be blocked) or you didn't (and seller blocked you for no good reason, which is a reflection on the seller anyway).

My only complaint is that buyers cannot block sellers; I have to keep a list of sellers from whom I no longer want to buy.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bochiman said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Statistically unlikely.

You assume the "insultingly low " offers were fair. Every "insultingly low" offer I've gotten was grossly below market and often below melt.

I assume nothing. There you go again trying to put words into other people's posts.
    I don't care what someone offers, or what someone tries to sell at. I do know that others have posted here that ANY offer below their ask will get someone banned from them.

I have no idea of your business model as I really don't pay attention to you nor would I attempt to buy from you, after seeing many of your posts here.

People get "insultingly low" offers all the time, from dealers, and dealers get them from customers. It really isn't that hard to just say "no" and move on and only get upset if the other party gets upset at being told a polite "no".

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Bochiman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bochiman said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Statistically unlikely.

I assume nothing. There you go again trying to put words into other people's posts.
    I don't care what someone offers, or what someone tries to sell at. I do know that others have posted here that ANY offer below their ask will get someone banned from them.

I have no idea of your business model as I really don't pay attention to you nor would I attempt to buy from you, after seeing many of your posts here.

People get "insultingly low" offers all the time, from dealers, and dealers get them from customers. It really isn't that hard to just say "no" and move on and only get upset if the other party gets upset at being told a polite "no".

I just read what you wrote and considered the implication: "Doesn't matter if the offer is what they are actually worth...all that mattered was if the offer was (much) lower than the seller wanted."

Could you identify a single forum member who ever claimed to block anyone for offering market value?

You can just say "no". But you can also save time by weeding out people who waste your time. I just had someone who I DIDN'T block but I might as well. I had an item listed for $89. I sent him an offer of 10% off. He asked me my "best price". I replied $75, which was my break even point and below catalog which was the original $89. He countered at $50. I just said "no". He countered my "no" at $60. He's wasted my time and he's never going to buy.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to check eBay to see if anyone has blocked you?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

I don't think so.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

welcome to my world they dont like when you speak your true feelings about their coin, their price, etc ive been blocked by several be proud

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 8:21AM

not uncommon for an ebay seller to block anyone who they believe will be a problem buyer. Why take the chance? Problem buyers are about the only problem with selling on ebay.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

I don't think so.

I had a problematic buyer a few weeks ago. Many email exchanges were descriptions had to be repeated and such along with other nonsense. Even so, fast forward a couple of weeks and this same buyer bid on a coin and then quickly withdrew his bid. I couldn't figure out why he would do so but I imagine it was to check and see if I had blocked him. I hadn't, so his bid went though and probably after seeing that withdrew it as he really wasn't interested in the coin he bid on- just checking his status.

peacockcoins

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

I don't think so.

I had a problematic buyer a few weeks ago. Many email exchanges were descriptions had to be repeated and such along with other nonsense. Even so, fast forward a couple of weeks and this same buyer bid on a coin and then quickly withdrew his bid. I couldn't figure out why he would do so but I imagine it was to check and see if I had blocked him. I hadn't, so his bid went though and probably after seeing that withdrew it as he really wasn't interested in the coin he bid on- just checking his status.

Sometimes an eBay buyer will put in a very high bid to discover what the highest bid is among the competition and he can then withdraw his bid. It only works if no one puts in a high snipe bid at the end of the auction.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part, I just stay away from eBay all together for coin purchases and sales. I'm fortunate in having coins shows available locally almost every weekend of the year and many coin dealers around southeast MI. There's also reputable coin auctions on-line any day. I do poke around and make an occasional purchase or sale on eBay but would always prefer having the coin in hand.

I suppose for those not so fortunate have to deal with eBay headaches... not for me.

Mark

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Offer buttons are weird. Just the other day I made an offer on an item that was $19.99 BIN. I offered $19 and it was immediately rejected. So, I offered $19.50 and it too was rejected after several minutes (this means the seller does not have to auto reject/accept enabled). So, finally I offered $19.75 and it took a full day to have that also rejected.
    I messaged the seller as to why he had a Offer button on his auction but was not willing to accept one. He never responded and I decided to just go ahead and pay the full price. Nope, couldn't bid as I was now blocked.
    lol,
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@braddick said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

I don't think so.

Sometimes an eBay buyer will put in a very high bid to discover what the highest bid is among the competition and he can then withdraw his bid. It only works if no one puts in a high snipe bid at the end of the auction.

I had a bidder do this twice on the same listing, several days apart. He didn't do it a third time because I blocked him.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 9:36AM

I don't block people too often. Even when I've had items returned. I did block someone recently who made me an offer that was considerably lower than my asking price and market. I rejected. He then offered a bit more, rejected. He then offered a bit more and I countered with my best price. He messaged me to explain the market price for the coin etc. I assume he plans to resell. We aren't far off, but I already gave him my best price. Told him sorry that's the bottom price. Week goes by, he sends me his same offer in a message. Told him sorry no. Another week goes by another message with his offer. Tell him again, sorry no. Then three more messages for three different coins that I consider lowball or ridiculous, so I blocked him. I can't imagine how any business from this person would be beneficial to me moving forward.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2023 11:53AM

In terms of low ballers off the bay / suggest reply sounding like some mindless auto bot lol “Unless our item bin mo already at our best price.”

At shows from my table my lowballer reply “do you have one sell me at that.” Or “send them (CDN) a check.” Decades ago at shows One jerk lowballer (don’t believe he even setup) a know it all guy always his hateful rip off bs - he was given name by us El Crappo Nit Wit. He would always say something hateful like “your competition has it for less.” I would telll him “go buy it from them / go find one.” After a couple of years El Crappo was not around.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

People who post Best Offer listings but don't accept offers less than the BIN are wasting everyone's time.
    So are buyers who think Best Offer means "I can offer 30% of the BIN and expect to be taken seriously".

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Offer buttons are weird. Just the other day I made an offer on an item that was $19.99 BIN. I offered $19 and it was immediately rejected. So, I offered $19.50 and it too was rejected after several minutes (this means the seller does not have to auto reject/accept enabled). So, finally I offered $19.75 and it took a full day to have that also rejected.
    I messaged the seller as to why he had a Offer button on his auction but was not willing to accept one. He never responded and I decided to just go ahead and pay the full price. Nope, couldn't bid as I was now blocked.
    lol,

It could have accidentally had offers on.

• Options

@steve76020 said:
    welcome to my world they dont like when you speak your true feelings about their coin, their price, etc ive been blocked by several be proud

I'm not sure why you think you should be speaking your "true feelings". Buy it, don't buy it. You really don't need to criticize their coin or their price.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps but then there would be no reason to block me. Just poor business practices is all I see.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

Perhaps but then there would be no reason to block me. Just poor business practices is all I see.

I almost blocked a guy this week for annoying me with offers. [Not enabled] He started messaging offers on gold at melt. I politely refused the first one and explained that I could melt it here without cost or risk of shipment. He offered on another. Same response. He offered in a 3rd. I told him I would NEVER sell a coin for melt on ebay because of ebay fees and shipping risk. He made a 4th offer which I just ignored.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@steve76020 said:

I'm not sure why you think you should be speaking your "true feelings". Buy it, don't buy it. You really don't need to criticize their coin or their price.

If you wasted my time contacting me to complain about one of my listings, you would be getting blocked.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2023 11:13AM

One lowballer I went and looked what he was selling and picked up some low pop world silver coins at slab cost he had on auc then marked them up accordingly / did well making lemonade out of lemons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file