Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Creating a Custom Dansco Album - Test #1 - New Zealand - Florins & Shillings

It took a TON of trial and error, but I finally found the same material to make the gold lettering look precisely like the original.

Here is my first personally made custom album. I'm pretty happy with how the cover turned out. Figuring out the right material was the biggest hurdle.

This last photo shows the other materials I could have used

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

The album cover came out great. The labels on the inside not so much. They are crooked.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nicely done overall!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@AlbumNerd said:
    It took a TON of trial and error, but I finally found the same material to make the gold lettering look precisely like the original.

Here is my first personally made custom album. I'm pretty happy with how the cover turned out. Figuring out the right material was the biggest hurdle.

This last photo shows the other materials I could have used

Looks GREAT, Where did you find the material ? I need to do a couple album covers to. Thanks

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlbumNerd ... That is great work. How do you apply the gold lettering?? I have no expertise in this process. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice - the book and pages are Dansco so there are no patent/trademark infringements?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    very nice - the book and pages are Dansco so there are no patent/trademark infringements?

This is something you should look into. Make sure you are not setting yourself up for an expensive legal issue.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pages and covers look great! Good job on your efforts. Per the comments immediately above mine and with Dansco back in proper production, I recommend you be wary and cautious that you don't step on their toes if you pursue offering this kind of work as a service.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

This is something I'm trying to get clarification on. The cover and pages are from Dansco. The gold lettering and labels were created by me.

If I was to make this a service, I would make it clear that these are custom covers and pages made by a fan. I'm not trying to pass these off as actually made by Dansco. It's just a fan trying to help other fans make their custom albums look more professional :smiley:

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them. Wish I had them for my Canadian Large and Small cents as well as Nickels. Those blue things look out of place.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very professional looking @AlbumNerd! 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@dbldie55 said:
    I like them. Wish I had them for my Canadian Large and Small cents as well as Nickels. Those blue things look out of place.

You might like this :)

https://imgur.com/a/dBdqWfB

• Options

@AlbumNerd-

This page isn't as nice as I had hoped. You seem to be the right guy to ask this question to. I made this page for the back of my 7070 with a blank small dollar page. How would you have used your magic on this page?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR there are some quick suggestions that would make your page much more presentable

My biggest recommendation is to minimize the margins around the text

Right now you are using the entire label like this

The reflection from the tape around the text will put the reader off

You should cut as close to the text like below

You can easily see how the two compare on the same page

I think it's really interesting how you used material to hold smaller coins in bigger holes. What item did you use?

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2023 11:04AM

I would suggest trimming the labels down as much as you can down to the edge of the lettering. It appears that you did that to some but not all. This cuts down on the glare so it's not so obvious that you have labels. Also, trying to copy the Dansco font will help it blend in. And I will admit, getting them straight every time is a bear.

If anyone is interested in Dansco fonts...
    Dates under coin openings: Futura 10pt (old style), Times New Roman 10pt (newer style)
    Top of page header: Stymie 12pt
    Cover spine: Brush Script 54pt
    Cover front: Brush Script 54pt
    Avery 18695 labels work the best.

I Haven't yet figured out the best gold blend to mimic the cover/spine.

• Options

Thanks very much for that feedback @AlbumNerd, very helpful!! 👍🏻

I used the foam rings from these air-tite capsules.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great examples of the creativity on these boards!

• Options

@AlbumNerd said:

How are you going to tell us that was the hardest part without giving the material and process? Why so secretive lol! I’m trying to make a custom US $1 Dollar Gold 1849 - 1889 album and the only thing stopping me is getting the cover and spine lettering correct.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could I have missed this when it was first posted!? In any event, very cool!

I have, BTW, tried to get myself interested in NZ coinage but haven’t had much success…

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@Matt1701 said:

@AlbumNerd said:

How are you going to tell us that was the hardest part without giving the material and process? Why so secretive lol! I’m trying to make a custom US $1 Dollar Gold 1849 - 1889 album and the only thing stopping me is getting the cover and spine lettering correct.

I don't know what Albumnerd uses, but here is what I find works for me. First, I use a Circut Joy for my lettering for the spine and album cover, there are 2 golds that will work for me, one has a texture the other does not (font Bush Script). For the pages I use Avery labels either the #6520 or #6521 that is what I like. For the coins I need to put in an opening larger than the coin, Hobby Lobby has a black thin foam that i use a circle cutter. Below are some pictures, hope this is of some help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file