Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Lincoln cent sms?

Not sure is this is the way to post or ask a question?....but needing help finding out if this is a sma 1964 us cent

Comments

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    You do not have one.

You didn't even looked at it but thank you

• Options

Have a nice day ....

• Options

Haters going to hate..

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 3:54PM

@Bouncer956 said:
    Haters going to hate..

Predictable. :D Nobody is hating, just giving you the facts, this question gets asked often and the result is always the same, when told the truth the new poster gets angry and lashes out. Does not change the facts.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bouncer956 said:
    Not sure is this is the way to post or ask a question?....but needing help finding out if this is a sma 1964 us cent

It looks like you've posted a ton of photos to your "wall" rather than to this thread. The little icon of a square with sun and mountains at the far right above your post is how you get a photo posted here.

BTW, you should only hold coins by the edges. The oils and salts n your skin will damage the coin otherwise.

None of this changes the result, but if it will make you feel like you are getting a better review of your coin then you can post the photos.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos would cinch a decision.
    Welcome to the forum by the way!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. The reason that people say you don't have a 1964 SMS was explained above. These coins are all accounted for, and there is nothing to find. No one wants to hate on you, but want to help you. You will win Powerball several times before you find one of these coins.

Now that we have the bad news out of the way.... what do you like to collect?

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bouncer956 said:
    Haters going to hate..

Welcome to the forum. This is not a coin that can ever be found in the wild. No one is hating in you, but all known copies trace to the same estate. All are accounted for.

Good luck!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not one - every example made is accounted for.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is threads like this, with replies like this, that turn people away from coin collecting. Honestly folks, we need more collectors, not to alienate the new ones that are just starting to learn about coins. Shame on those who are not supportive of new collectors. You may think you're being supportive, but if you just listen to the response of the OP you will realize you're not. Help the OP post pics. Point out why the coin is not, or maybe it is? If you can't do that, don't respond at all.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Bouncer956 said:

It looks like you've posted a ton of photos to your "wall" rather than to this thread. The little icon of a square with sun and mountains at the far right above your post is how you get a photo posted here.

BTW, you should only hold coins by the edges. The oils and salts n your skin will damage the coin otherwise.

None of this changes the result, but if it will make you feel like you are getting a better review of your coin then you can post the photos.

You forget that new members aren't allowed to post pictures right away. The OP likely doesn't have that icon.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate it when they don't put a pic in the thread 🥱

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2023 4:35AM

@Bouncer956 said:
    Haters going to hate..

Realists gonna get real. That's all.

I don't think hatin' had much to do with the discussion, in this particular case.

This question was sort of like someone saying, "I just found a 1913 Liberty nickel in change".

Well, no you didn't. It's just not within the statistical realm of possibility.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is worth re-posting and being saved for the next time that this topic inevitably comes up again:

TomB Posts:

"Howdy and welcome.

The short answer is that you do not own an SMS 1964 Lincoln cent. The longer version is that the coins recognized and certified as 1964 SMS pieces all came from the estate of the US Mint Director at the time of their 1964 production. That requirement is one of the central definitions as to how 1964 SMS coinage is recognized. If it didn't come directly from the estate, and if it doesn't have the paperwork to prove that it came directly from the estate, then there is no way, no how that the coin will be a 1964 SMS. All of the pieces from the estate were auctioned off decades ago and have been certified already.

We on these boards have this question "do I have a 1964 SMS..." asked rather frequently, which is why so many folks gave short answers to you. I expect that there are myriad YouTube videos out there screaming to folks that they might have tens of thousands of dollars in their pocket change and using the 1964 SMS pieces as an example. As with much on the internet, there is a kernel of truth in the videos, but they are otherwise sadly mistaken and likely intentionally manipulative in order to get clicks and dollars from ad revenue.

You may or may not like it on these boards and you may or may not want to stick with coins, but there are certain hot button questions that we get bombarded with over and over and over. Good luck with your endeavors."

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bouncer956.... Welcome aboard. You have the facts regarding the SMS cents above... There was no 'hate' intended. There are many expert numismatists that post on this forum, so one can learn a lot here. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file