Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint Wrapped Small Dollar Rolls

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the Mint sold these for?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options

Hmmmm. So someone is buying these from the Mint, taking them to the bank and cashing them in for face value and them I'm getting them???

Or someone bought them from the Mint as gifts and the recipients took them to the bank, cashed them in and I got them??

Or maybe dealers were getting them from the Mint for face?

Are there any other scenarios?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

People paid a premium for these. Someone decided to cash out.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or somebody stole them from somewhere and cashed in at the bank.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before or after Inflation?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bank has a 50 plus USM wrapped rolls available for the asking. I think they are coming from the families where the parents have passed away and they just want the cash ( not coin collectors and no idea the value of each roll exceeds face value). :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of rolls of Sacagawea dollars, purchased from the mint when first issued.... Do not recall the price. I really should open them and spend them. Might be a speared eagle in there... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because the Mint sold them for a premium doesn't mean you can get more than face value for them. Just keep that in mind

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Hmmmm. So someone is buying these from the Mint, taking them to the bank and cashing them in for face value and them I'm getting them???

Or someone bought them from the Mint as gifts and the recipients took them to the bank, cashed them in and I got them??

Or maybe dealers were getting them from the Mint for face?

Are there any other scenarios?

They were sold to a dealer who took them to the bank. I've done it. They come in with collections or estates. You try to sell them at a premium but a lot of them don't sell for more than face. So i dump them at the bank.

Interesting, thanks!

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have a couple of rolls of Sacagawea dollars, purchased from the mint when first issued.... Do not recall the price. I really should open them and spend them. Might be a speared eagle in there... Cheers, RickO

You haven't opened them yet? Or a complete roll of speared eagles! 😉

• Options

@jclovescoins said:
    Just because the Mint sold them for a premium doesn't mean you can get more than face value for them. Just keep that in mind

I wasn't thinking of selling them. I've already opened them and throw them back. But I do see them on eBay.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

From 2007 - 2011 you could get the new rolls at banks for face value, (there was a push to make the new dollar coin successful). They were available from the USM for 35.95 per roll, later 39.95 per roll, and most recently 34.50 per roll. In 2008 the USM had a direct ship program where you could order a 10 roll box for $250 with free shipping. This changed around 2012 when the banks no longer got the new releases and you had to order from the mint. The price for a box (10 rolls) went to 289.95.

• Options

Thank you for the feedback gents!

• Options

@OAKSTAR ... Unopened... No idea if there are any speared eagles. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 22, 2023 4:45PM

@ricko said:

I know. I'm just wondering if there are any in there.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

[ I'm just wondering if there are any in these. ]

Where's "Carnac the Magnificent" when you need him?

• Options

• Options
    edited February 20, 2023 5:53PM

@ricko said:

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2001 yellow wrapped $1 roll with a 2000 dated coin on the end. I got it directly from the US Mint when they were selling them for face value, free shipping.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

every roll I've ever gotten has either been given to my wife to spend or we have used them for tips at restaurants. Never bothered to even look at them. Made by the bazillions.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@jessewvu said:
    I have a 2001 yellow wrapped $1 roll with a 2000 dated coin on the end. I got it directly from the US Mint when they were selling them for face value, free shipping.

You have pictures of that roll?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

That one might be the mule.

• Options

@jessewvu said:

Mint using up excess quantities of paper dollar rolls?

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

@OAKSTAR said:

From 2007 - 2011 you could get the new rolls at banks for face value, (there was a push to make the new dollar coin successful). They were available from the USM for 35.95 per roll, later 39.95 per roll, and most recently 34.50 per roll. In 2008 the USM had a direct ship program where you could order a 10 roll box for $250 with free shipping. This changed around 2012 when the banks no longer got the new releases and you had to order from the mint. The price for a box (10 rolls) went to 289.95.

You left off the rest of the story.

So people would buy these with rewards credit cards, immediately trot them over to their banks, deposit them unopened, and pay the credit card bill. Free rewards for making the trip between the mailbox and the bank. Not surprisingly, the government eventually killed that program.

• Options

@ricko said:

See what could happen if you had a roll of them? 😂 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204291294896

• Options

@OAKSTAR... :o Wow... Had no idea..... Guess I better check... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Still getting these from banks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file