Home U.S. Coin Forum

one more thread before i take a break - 1794 Half Disme Transitional (Flowing Hair)

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

the path that led to this little lady is:

uspatterns.com (thanks @MrEureka) - Image Courtesy of the NNC @ The Smithsonian

it is purported this piece is unique, per the info on the page. (i'm not doubting it, just sharing)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Excellent!

    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Excellent and thank you for sharing.

    Was at the Met museum last night and was sort of disappointed that they did not have any American numismatics on display.

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    BREAK. What break. Get back to work young man.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 3:42PM

    @vulcanize said:
    Excellent and thank you for sharing.

    Was at the Met museum last night and was sort of disappointed that they did not have any American numismatics on display.

    ANS - have you tried?
    https://numismatics.org/collections/
    https://numismatics.org/about-us/visiting/

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fantastic! I have not seen this coin before. Shame on me (as a half dime enthusiast).

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rhedden said:
    Fantastic! I have not seen this coin before. Shame on me (as a half dime enthusiast).

    well, i guess you get a pass this time considering it is unique AND buried in the archives of a museum. ;)

    NOW, if you are into archaeology at all, you're back on the hot plate.

    now you make me wonder if i can find another...

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The lovely 1794 Judd-14 copper half dime is fantastic in hand. Quite an early Mint marvel!
    I was able to visit the Smithsonian a couple of months ago with JD and Jeff Garret. 1794 copper half dimes with stars are known in two patterns with stars (Judd-15 [R8]and Judd-16[unique]). Judd-15 has a reeded edge while Judd-16 is plain.

    The only other no stars 1794 pattern is a dollar. The unique 1794 Judd-18 copper dollar without stars was recently sold from the Simpson collection. Its graded PCGS VF30 and shows some surface corrosion. Another fantastic object as being America's first dollar. The orginal law did not include stars in what was required in the coins design. The obverse die for the Judd-18 dollar is unique and not used on 1794 dollars (discovered by JD). The Smithsonian also has the unique 1794 Judd-19 copper dollar with stars. I think it grade MS64-5. It is mounted in a display case, so I wasn't able to see it in hand. So apparently after making the coins to the letter of the law, they decided to add stars to create a more exciting coin and give credit to the orginal states and away we go.

  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @GoBust said:
    The lovely 1794 Judd-14 copper half dime is fantastic in hand. Quite an early Mint marvel!
    I was able to visit the Smithsonian a couple of months ago with JD and Jeff Garret. 1794 copper half dimes with stars are known in two patterns with stars (Judd-15 [R8]and Judd-16[unique]). Judd-15 has a reeded edge while Judd-16 is plain.

    The only other no stars 1794 pattern is a dollar. The unique 1794 Judd-18 copper dollar without stars was recently sold from the Simpson collection. Its graded PCGS VF30 and shows some surface corrosion. Another fantastic object as being America's first dollar. The orginal law did not include stars in what was required in the coins design. The obverse die for the Judd-18 dollar is unique and not used on 1794 dollars (discovered by JD). The Smithsonian also has the unique 1794 Judd-19 copper dollar with stars. I think it grade MS64-5. It is mounted in a display case, so I wasn't able to see it in hand. So apparently after making the coins to the letter of the law, they decided to add stars to create a more exciting coin and give credit to the orginal states and away we go.

    great addition. ty! (i did/have seen some of the ones you mentioned and they really stand out) i have yet to see a site that lists the entire catalog so i think in order to do that, i'll probably have to get the redbook on them which was shown in a video posted recently)

    away we go...classic.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @vulcanize said:
    Excellent and thank you for sharing.

    Was at the Met museum last night and was sort of disappointed that they did not have any American numismatics on display.

    Perhaps something could be done in conjunction with a coin show like NYINC?

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful coin.... Hope your break is a short one.... and for good reason... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file