Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

"Greenland Pillar Dollar" coming soon

One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

Comments

  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 10:31AM

    :)

    https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:
    One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

    Nice coin!

    I have no idea where the pricing on these currently is....

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:
    One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

    I'm not a pillar dollar collector, but it does rise my pressure :)

  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool looking motifs.

    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Millennia Collection specimen (NGC MS66) sold for $178,250. Wow!

    Here is what was said about the coin in that sale: Of this issue only 543 pieces were struck in 1771, with the bulk of the issue being restruck in 1774. Discerning between the two emissions by die combination analyses, it has has been determined that only 5 of the 1771 strikes are known. Of 1774 mintage, which comprised some 44,900 pieces, only 20 pices are known to have survived. Of these, half are in museum collections. Truly one of the ultimate classic numismatic rarities.

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’d like one but not sure if it’s this one.

  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Boosibri said:
    I’d like one but not sure if it’s this one.

    Holding out for the 1777 shown in the Elizando book or a different one?

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

    Did not know about this coin until now, did a quick search and found one sold for 135,000.00USD wow!

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ELuis said:
    Did not know about this coin until now, did a quick search and found one sold for 135,000.00USD wow!

    This seems to be the one to aspire to, though it's technically a restrike.

    I wonder what are the grades of the 5 known original strikes?

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is it I am selling the house!!! But seriously this is one cool coin I can only dream of owning.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:
    That is it I am selling the house!!! But seriously this is one cool coin I can only dream of owning.

    You can buy a VF Details example and only have to sell a kidney. At least you will have a place to store the coin.

  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hmm, well there goes my idea to shift to collecting the complete coins of Greenland in my retirement. That is pretty neat and as a complete non-collector of pillar dollars I didn't even know this existed.


  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @ELuis said:
    Did not know about this coin until now, did a quick search and found one sold for 135,000.00USD wow!

    This seems to be the one to aspire to, though it's technically a restrike.

    I wonder what are the grades of the 5 known original strikes?

    I plan to own that coin one day

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:
    One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

    Would you be able to post the link to the auction? Would like to follow it. Thanks.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    @messydesk said:
    One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

    Would you be able to post the link to the auction? Would like to follow it. Thanks.

    https://www.kuenker.de/en/auktionen/stueck/344892

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 7:27PM

    that is a coin that needs to be looked at in hand before bidding....if your not going to the auction in person to do that this is an example to have the coin looked by a professional.... like Mr Eureka

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Take a look at the video on the Kuenker website. Lots of luster. Now I’m thinking a TPG grade of AU rather than XF.

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It does look nice

  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Salton’s spread their coin collection over different auctioneers

    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.




  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll never be able to afford it, but I'd rather buy the 8R from Columbia (probably 1759) or Chile (probably 1755 or 1758) for less.

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WCC said:
    I'll never be able to afford it, but I'd rather buy the 8R from Columbia (probably 1759) or Chile (probably 1755 or 1758) for less.

    Of course that is our main interest for I bet almost all of us here. Still a cool coin and extremely rare to boot.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    @WCC said:
    I'll never be able to afford it, but I'd rather buy the 8R from Columbia (probably 1759) or Chile (probably 1755 or 1758) for less.

    Of course that is our main interest for I bet almost all of us here. Still a cool coin and extremely rare to boot.

    I didn't say otherwise. The OP asked, so I answered. If I had the money, I'd buy it to include in my pillar collection, after buying all other coins in the series I consider comparable which includes all from these two mints.

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 5:41PM

    @WCC said:

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:

    @WCC said:
    I'll never be able to afford it, but I'd rather buy the 8R from Columbia (probably 1759) or Chile (probably 1755 or 1758) for less.

    Of course that is our main interest for I bet almost all of us here. Still a cool coin and extremely rare to boot.

    I didn't say otherwise. The OP asked, so I answered. If I had the money, I'd buy it to include in my pillar collection, after buying all other coins in the series I consider comparable which includes all from these two mints.

    Agreed. I would rather add to the series I collect this type of coin would be if I had lots of money I would say what the heck and try to win it but I don't have to worry about that happening.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 11:28AM

    Sold for I believe is 55 000$ Euros (59 000$ US) correct me if I am wrong.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Sold for I believe is 55 000$ Euros (59 000$ US) correct me if I am wrong.

    Correction. It hammered for €55k. I believe the BP is 18%, so all in price was €64,900 or $69,527.

  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

    With the juice €66,000 ($70,833) for non-EU buyers, €68,750 ($73,785) for EU buyers that had to pay VAT. I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see another cross the auction block.

Sign In or Register to comment.