Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

"Greenland Pillar Dollar" coming soon

One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

Comments

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 11:31AM

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    One of these is shown as one of the highlights of a Künker auction in a couple weeks in Berlin. Does this get die-hard pillar dollar collectors whipped into a frothy frenzy or not really?

Nice coin!

I have no idea where the pricing on these currently is....

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

I'm not a pillar dollar collector, but it does rise my pressure :)

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool looking motifs.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

The Millennia Collection specimen (NGC MS66) sold for $178,250. Wow!

Here is what was said about the coin in that sale: Of this issue only 543 pieces were struck in 1771, with the bulk of the issue being restruck in 1774. Discerning between the two emissions by die combination analyses, it has has been determined that only 5 of the 1771 strikes are known. Of 1774 mintage, which comprised some 44,900 pieces, only 20 pices are known to have survived. Of these, half are in museum collections. Truly one of the ultimate classic numismatic rarities.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d like one but not sure if it’s this one.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I’d like one but not sure if it’s this one.

Holding out for the 1777 shown in the Elizando book or a different one?

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did not know about this coin until now, did a quick search and found one sold for 135,000.00USD wow!

• Options

@ELuis said:
    Did not know about this coin until now, did a quick search and found one sold for 135,000.00USD wow!

This seems to be the one to aspire to, though it's technically a restrike.

I wonder what are the grades of the 5 known original strikes?

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is it I am selling the house!!! But seriously this is one cool coin I can only dream of owning.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    That is it I am selling the house!!! But seriously this is one cool coin I can only dream of owning.

You can buy a VF Details example and only have to sell a kidney. At least you will have a place to store the coin.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, well there goes my idea to shift to collecting the complete coins of Greenland in my retirement. That is pretty neat and as a complete non-collector of pillar dollars I didn't even know this existed.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@ELuis said:

This seems to be the one to aspire to, though it's technically a restrike.

I wonder what are the grades of the 5 known original strikes?

I plan to own that coin one day

• Options

@messydesk said:

Would you be able to post the link to the auction? Would like to follow it. Thanks.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

Would you be able to post the link to the auction? Would like to follow it. Thanks.

https://www.kuenker.de/en/auktionen/stueck/344892

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 8:27PM

that is a coin that needs to be looked at in hand before bidding....if your not going to the auction in person to do that this is an example to have the coin looked by a professional.... like Mr Eureka

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Take a look at the video on the Kuenker website. Lots of luster. Now I’m thinking a TPG grade of AU rather than XF.

• Options

It does look nice

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Salton’s spread their coin collection over different auctioneers

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never be able to afford it, but I'd rather buy the 8R from Columbia (probably 1759) or Chile (probably 1755 or 1758) for less.

• Options

@WCC said:
    I'll never be able to afford it, but I'd rather buy the 8R from Columbia (probably 1759) or Chile (probably 1755 or 1758) for less.

Of course that is our main interest for I bet almost all of us here. Still a cool coin and extremely rare to boot.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

Of course that is our main interest for I bet almost all of us here. Still a cool coin and extremely rare to boot.

I didn't say otherwise. The OP asked, so I answered. If I had the money, I'd buy it to include in my pillar collection, after buying all other coins in the series I consider comparable which includes all from these two mints.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2023 6:41PM

@WCC said:

@WCC said:

I didn't say otherwise. The OP asked, so I answered. If I had the money, I'd buy it to include in my pillar collection, after buying all other coins in the series I consider comparable which includes all from these two mints.

Agreed. I would rather add to the series I collect this type of coin would be if I had lots of money I would say what the heck and try to win it but I don't have to worry about that happening.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2023 12:28PM

Sold for I believe is 55 000$ Euros (59 000$ US) correct me if I am wrong.

• Options

Sold for I believe is 55 000$ Euros (59 000$ US) correct me if I am wrong.

Correction. It hammered for €55k. I believe the BP is 18%, so all in price was €64,900 or $69,527.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the juice €66,000 ($70,833) for non-EU buyers, €68,750 ($73,785) for EU buyers that had to pay VAT. I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see another cross the auction block.