Home U.S. Coin Forum

The rarest of the Bat coins!!! 2020-W Gem Proof quarter now available for only $125,000.

Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

**THIS COIN SHOULD NOT!!! EVEN... EXIST!!! **

Here is your chance to win the one of a kind Gem Proof 2020-W Bat Quarter for a mere $125,000.00 As the seller states, this coin should not even exist. What an awesome error coin for a Bat Man. It's just a long way out of my budgetary means so I present to you here the offer of a lifetime. Almost guaranteed to increase in value over time... according to the seller...

I'm not trying to bash this unique coin or anything... but... I'm just not seeing it as either GEM or Proof. But it does come up on the cert verification page listed as a Genuine Gem Proof. Does anyone know what Grade Code 88 stands for? I didn't see it listed on the PCGS Designations page.

https://ebay.com/itm/225362332505?hash=item3478a44b59:g:7jsAAOSwMRpjyNuo&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4G0QkGCLu7NBxS3QYQp5B1lqmfiQTdM%2FTa22ji%2FW8tTETq9tYffd331cxM%2B%2FGGJVBdfu8njW%2B5rA3E4kLH3%2FPH4o3%2FbXFJBEc1deQ6bPwqVUui9kLIdt8dliF%2BVVzNRMKVYi5CJFnuO7WUQfyRDe1X9zbTEVhJIlZl%2FvKI7DUY5OEUb%2FLKWdDNsDsrc9VBPjv%2B7uw8k26H20VJAsPtw2nhnAi8dCULPhkgZP31NpKzD9s%2F2rLfttW2F9TAQBRiB7yWCF2brwjafLjMMU46y53RD0L1%2FpOu1wpWXFfWIHyANn%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_aG9rW5YQ

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i THINK this may be a situation where the details on holder option was unchecked or however the option works. i may not have thought of it if you didn't show the cert page. (it still seems oddly worded)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s one expensive typo…
    :lol:

Coin Photographer.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real error and a nice one too!

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical error on the holder. Worth no more than the price of a W quarter (~$10)

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im wondering what a code 88 is. That coin isn't "GEM" either. Could this be a counterfeit slab?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they make these in proof?
    I didn’t think they did - these were only made to be circulated in business strikes. Something not quite right here imo.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a label error.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got mine for free and it looks better than the above one. But it is an anacs slab....

@privatecoin said:

A mechanical Label error is the first thing I thought. But... the cert verification as you listed matches what the label states. It confirmed it is a Genuine Gem Proof with designation code 88. Is it both a label and database error? Or is this a unique 6 figures coin? ;) Inquiring minds would like to know. I still don't know what code 88 is... As Oakstar states... I'm so confused :D

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 9:31PM

@Batman23 said:

A real error and a nice one too!

But is it a W Bat? The one that OP listed is a W....

I saw this on Ebay and immediately thought WTH?🤔

I am still trying to figure out what the seller is claiming...is it an error because it was minted on a proof planchet?

Also, it appears that it is a circulated coin found in the wild not pulled from a new coin roll.

Either way...this will be never sell for the asking price in my opinion 😎

@Che_Grapes said:
    Did they make these in proof?
    I didn’t think they did - these were only made to be circulated in business strikes. Something not quite right here imo.

No W quarters were made as proofs

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 9:18PM

@Batman23 said:
    **THIS COIN SHOULD NOT!!! EVEN... EXIST!!! **

Here is your chance to win the one of a kind Gem Proof 2020-W Bat Quarter for a mere $125,000.00 As the seller states, this coin should not even exist. What an awesome error coin for a Bat Man. It's just a long way out of my budgetary means so I present to you here the offer of a lifetime. Almost guaranteed to increase in value over time... according to the seller...

I'm not trying to bash this unique coin or anything... but... I'm just not seeing it as either GEM or Proof. But it does come up on the cert verification page listed as a Genuine Gem Proof. Does anyone know what Grade Code 88 stands for? I didn't see it listed on the PCGS Designations page.

https://ebay.com/itm/225362332505

Here's the description saying it was struck on an unplished proof planchet. What's the difference between an unpolished proof clad planchet and a regular strike clad planchet?

mcmasterjay3608 said:
    2020-W AMERICAN SAMOA QUARTER PCGS "CERTIFIED" ( "GEM PROOF") ("US.MINT ERROR") EXTREMELY!!! RARE!!! ("TECHNICALLY") THIS COIN SHOULD NOT!!! EVEN... EXIST!!! "THIS 2020 WEST POINT QUARTER" WAS STRUCK ON THE WRONG! ("PROOF" PLANCHET! ) "BUT" THE PLANCHET WAS NEVER!!! POLISHED! OR PREPARE TO BE A PROOF STRUCK COIN!!! NOR WAS THE DIES POLISHED! "THE DIE STRUCK THIS COIN ONLY! ONE! TIME! BECAUSE THIS COIN WAS INTENDED TO BE RELEASED... TO THE "GENERAL PUBLIC" A LONG WITH THE OTHER 2 MILLION WEST POINT ("CIRCULATED BUSINESS STRIKE")... COINS, THAT WAS SENT TO THE LOCAL BANKS... THIS 2020 WEST POINT SAMOA ("GEM PROOF") QUARTER WAS "NEVER! PREPARED TO BE A PART OF THE 2020-S PROOF SETS. AGAIN...(" TECHNICALLY") THIS ("CIRCULATED") WEST POINT ("GEM PROOF COIN") SHOULD HAVE NOT!!! EXIST!!!!) THE ("US. MINT MADE A MISTAKE") 'THIS 2020-W AMERICAN SAMOA ("GEM PROOF COIN") HAVE RECEIVED A 'VERY' ('SPECIAL') "CERTIFICATION" FINEST MAC. ("FIRST!!!!) ("SOLO") STICKER... "EXTREMELY RARE" WOW!!! AWESOME!!! 'WE BELIEVE THIS ("EXTREMELY!!!RARE!!!) AMERICAN SAMOA-PCGS "CERTIFIED" (WEST POINT "GEM PROOF COIN") WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE IN VALUE OVER THE YEARS TO COME. THE PCGS HOLDER HAVE SOME SMALL SCRATCHES ON HOLDER. THANK YOU! FOR INQUIRING IN OUR AUCTION,PLEASE MAKE YOUR BEST OFFER... THIS COIN WILL BE SHIPPED OVERNIGHT-NEXT DAY EXPRESS MAIL, A SIGNATURE WILL BE NEEDED AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY

My apologies!!! It appears this seller has another W coin for sale which is listed for $99,000..
    This one is an American Memorial W quarter.

This is highly suspect 🤔

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225364110707

edited January 19, 2023 9:33PM

It should be noted that both
    of these coins have the MAC labels on them which is a guy down in Florida who thinks he is a special grader.😂🤣

In my opinion he is competing with CAC stickers and his MAC label devalues a PCGS slab....🙄

My guess is this seller bought these from the guy in Florida who sells these labeled coins:

When we refer to a MAC SOLO sticker-ed coin, we are referring to the finest graded coin of that date, mint mark(s) or type as being the first coin to be graded SOLO or SOLO finest graded Pop-1 none finer. This Solo Finest designation coin will maintain its value better than if a second coin is now grade as Finest graded Pop-2. The SOLO Finest coin will always maintain its SOLO Finest value better THAN IF the MAC SOLO sticker is affixed to the coin.

MAC takes up where CAC leaves off. MAC stickers spotless coins. A MAC sticker could enable you to increase the value of your coins above that stated market existing Price Guides. MAC provides the Price Guide and POP reports for all coins that have been through its process.

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    My apologies!!! It appears this seller has another W coin for sale which is listed for $99,000..

This is highly suspect 🤔

Ouch, that quarter looks like its beat up and with counter wheel damage. How does PCGS justify putting it into a GEM holder? I thought GEM was supposed to be comparable with MS65.

• wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

This is highly suspect 🤔

But how is it a Gem Proof?

Yes 60-62 is UNC, Choice UNC is 63 and 4, GEM UNC is 65-6 and Superb GEM is 67 and up

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not find any definition of code 88 on the PCGS site. The label is weird. Not something I would bother with.... Cheers, RickO

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a clad. The Coin Facts number 813458 confirms it as regular strike clad. If it was on a proof blank, polished or not, I am pretty sure it would be silver. High probability this is a label error. Not uncommon these days for those.

They make proof coinage from clad also. But West Point doesn't strike proof quarters, only San Francisco does. Either way, an unpolished blank struck with non-proof dies does not make Gem Proof coins. The PCGS coin number does reflect its non-proof.

It probably comes down to what this code 88 is. I am surprised no one here has any information on code 88.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's a PCGS slab. We're on a PCGS forum. It's only been a day, feels like a month. I wonder what a normal time frame would be for an official PCGS representative to chime in here with a little help?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:

@privatecoin said:

A mechanical Label error is the first thing I thought. But... the cert verification as you listed matches what the label states. It confirmed it is a Genuine Gem Proof with designation code 88. Is it both a label and database error? Or is this a unique 6 figures coin? ;) Inquiring minds would like to know. I still don't know what code 88 is... As Oakstar states... I'm so confused :D

This coinfacts page says a mintage of 2 million. Wasnt that the TOTAL mintage for each W quarter? :/

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very strange convergence of info on this holdered coin. What's next?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Code 88 has something to do with the questionable authenticity. Maybe someone from PCGS will chime in.

Dwayne Sessom
    edited January 20, 2023 11:46AM

@HeatherBoyd

Heather, please provide an explanation of this coin label and if Code 88 exists what it means.

I have never seen a W quarter labeled this way so your help is appreciated in solving this riddle.😎

@stawick said:

@Batman23 said:

@privatecoin said:

This coinfacts page says a mintage of 2 million. Wasnt that the TOTAL mintage for each W quarter? :/

Yes. 2 million of each W quarter

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I messaged the owner of the coin. Here are his replies:

“ I've contacted pgcs, I contacted the US mint trust me I did my homework and sir you got it wrong! it has been confirmed that it is a United States Mint error not! a pgcs label error. It has been confirmed thank you for your inquiry have a blessed day. John”

“ I HAVE MORE!!! THAT HAS BEEN CERTIFIED! W. GEM PROOF QUARTER FROM PCGS... DIFFERENT DATES AND A DIFFERENT YEAR QUARTER. THANK YOU AGAIN!”

“ I'M SORRY SIR, I DO NOT MEAN TO BOTHER YOU, BUT A THOUGHT CAME TO MY MIND. IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!! FOR ME TO HAVE SEVERAL WEST POINT "GEM PROOF" CERTIFIED QUARTERS FROM PCGS AND ALL OF THEM!!! ARE FROM DIFFERENT YEARS!!! WERE "ALL" LABELED WRONG??? IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!! I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING COINS FOR 57 LONG YEARS!”

I sent him the link to this thread to explain his position. No reply yet it seems.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

He contacted PCGS and "The Mint"??? I'd really love to know who he contacted at the mint!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

More importantly that SOLO sticker was not put on by PCGS so in my opinion he is NOT the original owner.

I believe he bought it at a coin show from maccointrading.

Also, if it was a true error coin it would be labeled as such right?

@Bikergeek said:
    What I want to know is, WHY IS THIS SELLER SCREAMING AT US?!!!??

Some older people type in caps due to eye sight issues.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie I think you are a nice person to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I did see that he'd been collecting for a long time. But I'm one of those older people whose eyesight is not great, and I actually appreciate the normal mixed case without all the hyperbolic punctuation.

My simple pro-tip for the other optically challenged is: you can increase fontsize on your browser by holding the CTRL key on the keyboard, and rolling your mouse wheel away from you. (Easy shortcut to the resize menu at upper right on most browsers).

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Maybe @burfle23 would know something about what is going on here? He (I think ) is very knowledgeable about fake slabs and maybe knows about the 88 code.

• erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds batty to me.

@Bikergeek said:
    @WQuarterFreddie I think you are a nice person to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I did see that he'd been collecting for a long time. But I'm one of those older people whose eyesight is not great, and I actually appreciate the normal mixed case without all the hyperbolic punctuation.

My simple pro-tip for the other optically challenged is: you can increase fontsize on your browser by holding the CTRL key on the keyboard, and rolling your mouse wheel away from you. (Easy shortcut to the resize menu at upper right on most browsers).

Thank you. I have a customer who sends me emails using all caps and he explained why he does it.😉

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see an 88 designation for an impaired proof of another series but don't see proofs for this issue; interesting seller covered the PCGS number on the label.

I have asked my contact to help!

@burfle23 said:
    I see an 88 designation for an impaired proof of another series but don't see proofs for this issue; interesting seller covered the PCGS number on the label.

The seller didn't cover it. He bought it that way....

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 8:53PM

PCGS did respond that they are looking at this and I notice the certificate is no longer valid.

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@burfle23 said:

The seller didn't cover it. He bought it that way....

OK, a seller covered it...

Listing was removed.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 12:34PM

Nice work guys. The good guys prevailed 👍🏼
    Now for the answer to the 88 question 🙋

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS should send a prepaid return shipping label to get this coin back. Just what is going on in that grading room ? Don't we know that [if it was a proof] it would be a DCam ?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 1:00PM

@burfle23 said:

Just FYI, the text for the Grade 88 coin doesn't have anything to do with the specific coin or grade.

The full text is:

ALWAYS VERIFY THE LEGITIMACY OF ANY TRANSACTION BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Verification of certification numbers on the PCGS Certification Database does not eliminate the risk of buying counterfeit and altered coins. Though uncommon, counterfeiters may also counterfeit PCGS grading inserts using actual certification numbers derived from public sources.

As a general rule, PCGS encourages the purchase of PCGS verified coins from PCGS Authorized Dealers.

Here's the coin shown:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/15950798

Apparently BOTH listings have been eliminated by Ebay. Not just. canceled by the seller but completely removed by Ebay😎

Yes, both were reported.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Code 88 is like Star Trek Section 31.

It doesn't exist.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file