Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Baseball Grading Standards

I was going through some of my raw sets last night and was reminded of that time in 2016 when I made the mistake of subbing some 1975 baseball. We all understand why it is a tough year (like ‘71) for getting good results, but all these years later I’m still mystified on why the below card received a PSA 7. When I look at it, then and now, I see nothing but 9. But I learned my lesson and stuck to ‘72s after that. 😂

Comments

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

Paper loss middle to the bottom left edge is the most obvious defect I notice. looks all scraped up.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

yep bottom left has some issues.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is zero paper loss, it’s just the light reflecting off the dark edge.

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a really nice raw set a number of years ago and I submitted about 75 cards after going through them a few times. They are super tough on 75s and ANY sign of white on the corner is going to put you at an 8 or lower. I did receive a fair amount of 9s and one 10 that was a POP1. But also received a lot of 8s and a few 7s. Maybe on a really good day you get an 8 on this card, but I believe the card was accurately graded.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 5:56PM

And now from that angle below where it says " Nolan Ryan" I'm seeing a splatter affect of 4-6 white dots
    plus more in Busby's Hat
    I circled the areas in red

• Options

I’m not gonna bother looking on eBay and finding all the 9s with these same “defects.” It is what it is. 👍

• Options

Well, maybe just one 😂

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul - I get it and feel your pain.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA has always been especially tough on 75 Topps. No way that card should grade a 7. There is very slight PD but very minimal. Should be an 8 all day, at least, assuming back is clean and there are no surface issues we can't detect from the scanned image. Very often the reason for a lower grade on a card that looks mint on the computer screen is a surface issue. Collectors tend to focus on centering and corners and not so much on surface issues but that is often the reason a card that looks like a 9 or 10 grades lower.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    PSA has always been especially tough on 75 Topps. No way that card should grade a 7. There is very slight PD but very minimal. Should be an 8 all day, at least, assuming back is clean and there are no surface issues we can't detect from the scanned image. Very often the reason for a lower grade on a card that looks mint on the computer screen is a surface issue. Collectors tend to focus on centering and corners and not so much on surface issues but that is often the reason a card that looks like a 9 or 10 grades lower.

I understand Tim. I just find it frustrating when people point out every little speck of snow or fish eye, when we all know there are plenty of 9s (both recently graded and not) that have the same defects.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 10:01PM

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

I understand Tim. I just find it frustrating when people point out every little speck of snow or fish eye, when we all know there are plenty of 9s (both recently graded and not) that have the same defects.

Very true, that is why I stated that no way should this card be a 7 unless there's some kind of surface issue because those issues are not detectable via a scan or screen. If that's not the case here, that card should be an 8, at least, and wouldn't look out of place in a 9 holder, either. PSA has always been tough on 1975s, in my experience, which spans several hundred submitted cards from that year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2023 5:21AM

When I started collecting in 81, I don't even recall anyone talking about condition at all. Occasionally corners, but mostly everyone just said Mint or Excellent / Mint.

Back then, I was just be excited to own such and such card, appearances be dammed. We have gone too far the other way.

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Wow... how is that Yaz a 9??

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I started working on a 1975 set years ago with the intention of getting all HOFers in PSA 8. I quickly realized that I was much better off buying the graded items than subbing myself.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I started working on a 1975 set years ago with the intention of getting all HOFers in PSA 8. I quickly realized that I was much better off buying the graded items than subbing myself.

This is true for all cards. It's just too much of a crapshoot to submit cards. The worst is when a card is rejected as N6, is resubmitted and suddenly the size is fine. No way did the card grow between the 2 submissions.

Daniel
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:

This is true for all cards. It's just too much of a crapshoot to submit cards. The worst is when a card is rejected as N6, is resubmitted and suddenly the size is fine. No way did the card grow between the 2 submissions.

True, but some years, 1962, 1971 and 1975 are ridiculous.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all know who got the 9 on the yaz, come on man!!!

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2023 2:37PM

@olb31 said:
    We all know who got the 9 on the yaz, come on man!!!

Wasn’t that the era of those certs all starting with 81? 🤔

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fisheye is my favorite part.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I think the grader wrote the grade down in pencil and forgot to draw a line under the 6 as not to confuse the finalizer....