Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another Ebay story - anyone else ever do this?

Not card related but it could happen with any buyer. Besides being a sports card collector, I buy and sell vintage video games. A seller listed a copy of "Sonic the Hedgehog" for Sega Genesis for $19.99 with free shipping - buy it now or best offer. It was a cartridge and case - no manual, but I had an extra manual to make it complete. This copy was a very specific revision that I was looking for and I knew I could sell it for at least 2X once I add my manual to it.

I offer $15 - after a day seller declines with no counter.
I offer $16 - seller declines with no counter.

I now know I'm dealing with a stubborn seller who claims to accept offers but refuses to negotiate. I make a final offer of $17, fully expecting a counter now as I'm only 15% below the buy it now price. Again, a decline with no counter.

If it was listed without offers, I would have bought it immediately for $19.99 as it was specifically what I was looking for.

Normally I would move on and not do business with a seller like this. However, I really felt I would be losing money if I passed on it so I just paid the full $19.99. My reasoning was I didn't want to to give him the satisfaction of having me accept an offer of $19.50 (if he even decided to take offers).

Anyway, I got it pretty quickly and it was in great condition. I have it for sale now and it's currently bidding at $132 - though I have it bundled with a copy of "Sonic the Hedgehog 2" that I paid $15 for.

I've paid the full price on a best offer listing many times if I felt that it was an amazing deal at full price and I don't want it to get away.

Comments

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

That has happened to me several times. I thought maybe the seller gets some kind of break for doing that. Why would seller list B.O and then not accept any offers. Yeah, that can really get you ticked off.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I think a lot of time people list things in bulk and accidentally put the best offer on, although if they didnt want to take offers, he should have just told you that after your first offer. The best offer feature can be a point of frustration for both buyers and sellers. To be honest, most of the time, if I see a good deal on something at full price, I go ahead and buy it and not even worry about the offer part

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a BB set for around $10 BIN. Probably worth $80 - 100. Guy writes me saying his kid listed it in error and he was Cancelling order: he added that I must have known it was an error because no one could think a seller would list it for that low of a BIN. A bit snarky for me so I didn’t bid when he relisted with no reserve and no BIN. It later sold for $16. That man was Albert Einstein.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judgebuck said:
    Here's a good one that happened to me: Item listed at $45 with Best Offer. I bid $42, and seller responded that he anticipated someone would bid $35 and he would counter and sell for $40. So, he said he would reject my $42 bid "as a matter of principle" because he felt like if I would bid $42, then I should have been willing to pay $45. He said I could have it for $45 or he wouldn't sell it to me. I passed on $45.

That is some funny math.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 2:03PM

@BBBrkrr said:

@judgebuck said:
    Here's a good one that happened to me: Item listed at $45 with Best Offer. I bid $42, and seller responded that he anticipated someone would bid $35 and he would counter and sell for $40. So, he said he would reject my $42 bid "as a matter of principle" because he felt like if I would bid $42, then I should have been willing to pay $45. He said I could have it for $45 or he wouldn't sell it to me. I passed on $45.

That is some funny math.

Ahhh… I’ve heard this somewhere before…..

He knows you won’t offer that amount … so he can’t accept another offer… but you know he knows, so you know he won’t offer another amount… but he knows you know he knows you know… so he can clearly not choose the wine in front of him!!!!

This seller has a dizzying intellect… Plato, Aristotle, Socrates…morons!!!

This game ends when you choose and we both drink!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:

@BBBrkrr said:

@judgebuck said:

That is some funny math.

Ahhh… I’ve heard this somewhere before…..

He knows you won’t offer that amount … so he can’t accept another offer… but you know he knows so you know won’t offer another amount… but he knows you know he knows you know… so he can clearly not choose the wine in front of him!!!!

This seller has a dizzying intellect… Plato, Aristotle, Socrates…morons!!!

This game ends when you choose and we both drink!!!

Inconceivable!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest