Home Sports Talk
Options

The Tom Brady 2023 news thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone has any updates on what Tom Brady is going to do for the 2023 NFL season, please share them on this thread as the news develops, I can't wait to see what his next move is going to be. I want to track this story throughout the offseason. Perhaps? 🤔

Comments

• Options

I don't think he'll retire, he loves the game too much, I think he'll play until the wheels fall off.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope he retires. The options are as follows: play next year at the same or worse mediocre level and tarnish a stellar career --- or --- play next year and risk a very serious injury due to diminished physical ability. I'd hate to see either outcome. My preference is to see him ride off into the sunset. B)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see him retire but he will play next year in my opinion

• Options

I disagree with the theory that he's washed up, I think he's still got a lot left in the tank. He threw for 4,694 yards, 25 TDs, and 9 INT this year. Those stats are better than some of his seasons in New England. Oh no, don't count number 12 out just yet.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he succeeds with the next team, he will need some decent receivers and a competent offensive coordinator. He left New England because of the receivers and will leave Tampa because of the coaching.

I still think he should retire. Why end up in a wheelchair?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Ok, I'll give the Cowboys credit, they got the best of the GOAT last night. We'll let them have their moment in the spotlight.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Brady said he was going to go home and try to get a good night of sleep, but beyond that, he offered no timeline for when he might make a decision about his future. Last year, he retired and then returned little more than a month later. This time, he said, it would be "one day at a time, truly."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

He can't tarnish his career at this point. I think he will go to SF, Vegas, or Miami if he doesn't hang it up.

While he definitely didn't play great this season, you could tell he had no faith whatsoever in his line. I think peak Brady would have still won with the Bucs this year, they had enough talent to get deep into the playoffs but this version Brady needs a great O line and receivers that can get open (as well as coaches that don't suck).

Any of the three teams above would be a great fit for Brady, all have lots of offensive weapons.

Robb

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    He can't tarnish his career at this point. I think he will go to SF, Vegas, or Miami if he doesn't hang it up.

While he definitely didn't play great this season, you could tell he had no faith whatsoever in his line. I think peak Brady would have still won with the Bucs this year, they had enough talent to get deep into the playoffs but this version Brady needs a great O line and receivers that can get open (as well as coaches that don't suck).

Any of the three teams above would be a great fit for Brady, all have lots of offensive weapons.

Robb

LV makes sense. I honestly think, in the back of his mind, that he wants to have another chance to clean up the film for the naysayers, even if he doesn't get a good chance for a ring.

• Options

Las Vegas would be a great choice, he would look awesome in Silver and Black. I just wish the Raiders had a different owner, I don't know about this Mark Davis guy. The man is a billionaire and look at him, Tom is going to have give him a few tips on fashion and haircut.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Las Vegas would be a great choice, he would look awesome in Silver and Black. I just wish the Raiders had a different owner, I don't know about this Mark Davis guy. The man is a billionaire and look at him, Tom is going to have give him a few tips on fashion and haircut.

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else in the sports world that you feel has hair issues? I ask, because, I don't feel it is right to just pounce on one guy. If we are talking about humorous and/or unusual styles of hair in the sports world there are probably a lot of people who could make your list...

• Options

^^^^^^^
    besides Cam Newton, that is... :D

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone else in the sports world that you feel has hair issues? I ask, because, I don't feel it is right to just pounce on one guy. If we are talking about humorous and/or unusual styles of hair in the sports world there are probably a lot of people who could make your list...

I mean can you think.of anyone that looks more ridiculous than this guy?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I should have included an emoji. My tone was meat to be in jest, and I was thinking that DD could fill up this thread with "hair stuff" as we await Brady news.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I disagree with the theory that he's washed up, I think he's still got a lot left in the tank. He threw for 4,694 yards, 25 TDs, and 9 INT this year. Those stats are better than some of his seasons in New England. Oh no, don't count number 12 out just yet.

He had 6.4 yards per attempt probably the lowest of his career. He only got those yards because he set a record for attempts at 733.
    To put it into perspective Mahomes would have thrown for just shy of 6000 yards with his 8.1 per attempt if he had 733 pass attempts.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

I would love to see the Raiders make another colossal mistake and sign Grandpa Brady. A QB in silver and black who is borderline incompetent playing in the same division as Mahomes and Herbert, yeah that’s gonna work out great. 🤭
    Bring back Gruden also.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    I would love to see the Raiders make another colossal mistake and sign Grandpa Brady. A QB in silver and black who is borderline incompetent playing in the same division as Mahomes and Herbert, yeah that’s gonna work out great. 🤭
    Bring back Gruden also.

It's not entirely inconceivable that the GOAT lurks here. This would make for pretty good bulletin board material for him. Your words might come back to bite you. 😉

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I think Mark Davis has the biggest problem with hair issues, and it's rubs off on his players. Remember when Antonio Brown signed with the Raiders for a brief time, what happened to his hair? Here, just look at him, he was a sloppy mess!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to make it clearly known that I am against having a Tom Brady 2023 news thread and I believe that every thought we have about Tom Brady in 2023 deserves its own thread on this fine forum. 😎😎😎😎😎😎 B)

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I should have included an emoji. My tone was meat to be in jest, and I was thinking that DD could fill up this thread with "hair stuff" as we await Brady news.

I like where your going with this 🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hang it up, shoulda last year but divorce Brady prob wants something to do for another year.

• Options

I definitely remember the above Tebow incident. Rookie hazing. I hear more and more stories of NFL players (and people in general) being unwilling to carry out the traditions of yesteryear. There are many nuances to all of this.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I'd like to make it clearly known that I am against having a Tom Brady 2023 news thread and I believe that every thought we have about Tom Brady in 2023 deserves its own thread on this fine forum. 😎😎😎😎😎😎 B)

this times 1000

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

and by the way, I think he will be back next season. they should have fired Byron halfway through the season and had Arians call plays the rest of the way.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    and by the way, I think he will be back next season. they should have fired Byron halfway through the season and had Arians call plays the rest of the way.

I'm curious if you feeel like me, as you are also one of the strong Brady supporters like me...I will absolutely not watch or support him if he follows through on his wish to play in Miami. I was disgusted by those reports.

• Options

Draft kings has him at +150 odds taking his first snap for the Raiders next year.
    Please let this happen nothing like going out on bottom!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

Quick little fact here, this is insane, Tom Brady has about as many playoff victories as the Cowboys franchise.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought Brady looked awful against Dallas. Even when not pressured, he was underthrowing receivers left and right. He looked like he'd lost more than a little bit off his fastball in that game.

That said, in the right situation, with a team that has a running attack, I think Brady can be successful again. But if the team is built around him as a one-man show? No chance for success.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady needs a good team to carry him. He can no longer carry a mediocre to good team. I hope he retires before they let him know he is no longer welcome.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Brady needs a good team to carry him. He can no longer carry a mediocre to good team. I hope he retires before they let him know he is no longer welcome.

Agreed. But then just about any QB can plug and play so why take a 46 year old? Let’s not kid ourselves about Purdy. He has a stacked team around him and hasn’t taken that “Welcome to the NFL” hit yet. Let’s see if he really belongs

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I'm curious if you feeel like me, as you are also one of the strong Brady supporters like me...I will absolutely not watch or support him if he follows through on his wish to play in Miami. I was disgusted by those reports.

I will watch and cheer for Tommy no matter where he plays. I am super loyal to him. I will do exactly as i did when he played for the Bucs. when he plays the Patriots, I will root for him to have a big personal game and for NE to win.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I will watch and cheer for Tommy no matter where he plays. I am super loyal to him. I will do exactly as i did when he played for the Bucs. when he plays the Patriots, I will root for him to have a big personal game and for NE to win.

I guess that is where we differ then. I feel exactly as you say above regarding watching him in TB, wishing him success, ut hoping NE beats the Bucs if it's head to head. . However, built into those feelings is the knowledge of and sense of history and what he achieved within the Patriots organization. And Brady knows darn well that it should be a non-starter for him to play for another AFC East team. Yes, it is a business, and guys get traded or sign elsewhere. But part of Brady's legacy is that two decade one team run. It was unique. And special in a way that has never been done before. So if he was to go to Miami, and play there, I will feel that he has gone a step too far. I say I wouldn't watch or support him. That does not mean that I would wish for his failure. I would not openly root against him. It would just be different. I am sure that many people here will read my words and scoff at the silliness of one of the last remaining Brady holdouts, but it is just my opinion. :#

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

Brady has a history of being able to make chicken salad out of chicken pop tarts. and i mean that as an extreme compliment. in my mind that's a huge reason why he's considered the GOAT. but that's no longer the case.

and eventually, if he sticks around long enough, a loaded team is not going to be able to make chicken salad out of his chicken pop tarts. the erosion process will no doubt continue, and it'll be even more demonstrable if he is out there playing at age 46.

@thisistheshow thinks i'm a Brady hater, but truthfully i'm not. the extreme adulation bugs me, but it doesn't play a part in my objective analysis. when a game kicks off, i'm simply watching and observing as a fan of the sport. and what i observed against the Cowboys was a 45-yr-old man attempting to play quarterback, as i stated previously. he is absolutely a shell of his former self. might sound harsh, but that's simply what the eye test told me. i saw so many unBrady-like throws. the red zone can of corn INT he just lofted up made me wince.

Dak Prescott's QBR was four times higher than Tom's was in that game. one quarterback elevated his play when his team needed him most, and the other quarterback produced a bottom-of-the-barrel performance. if you watched that game intently and are being completely honest with yourself, there's no other way to describe it.

and it's just unwise to think that things will miraculously get better from here. father time is probably chuckling at the mere thought of it.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I guess that is where we differ then. I feel exactly as you say above regarding watching him in TB, wishing him success, ut hoping NE beats the Bucs if it's head to head. . However, built into those feelings is the knowledge of and sense of history and what he achieved within the Patriots organization. And Brady knows darn well that it should be a non-starter for him to play for another AFC East team. Yes, it is a business, and guys get traded or sign elsewhere. But part of Brady's legacy is that two decade one team run. It was unique. And special in a way that has never been done before. So if he was to go to Miami, and play there, I will feel that he has gone a step too far. I say I wouldn't watch or support him. That does not mean that I would wish for his failure. I would not openly root against him. It would just be different. I am sure that many people here will read my words and scoff at the silliness of one of the last remaining Brady holdouts, but it is just my opinion. :#

Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I have always enjoyed following the "local" legends even after moving on from Boston. I enjoyed watching Bledsoe, Boggs, Clemens, Pedro, Evans, Betts and a whole host of others after they left my local teams. I dont remember rooting for them to come back and beat the local team, but I always wanted them to have good individual games.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I have always enjoyed following the "local" legends even after moving on from Boston. I enjoyed watching Bledsoe, Boggs, Clemens, Pedro, Evans, Betts and a whole host of others after they left my local teams. I dont remember rooting for them to come back and beat the local team, but I always wanted them to have good individual games.

That's the thing. I did the same thing. There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about him possibly being a Dolphin ( or a Jet or Bill, lol). I guess I am just talking this through and preemptively trying to get ahead of my feelings if this were to happen.

• Options

To sum it up better perhaps for you @craig44 ...I feel about Brady as I do Larry Bird. And this would be like Bird in a Lakers uniform. I was saddened, but always rooting for him watching him play as a Buccaneer. But an AFC East team??? No.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 491 ✭✭✭

Going On A Trip CANTON

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

That's the thing. I did the same thing. There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about him possibly being a Dolphin ( or a Jet or Bill, lol). I guess I am just talking this through and preemptively trying to get ahead of my feelings if this were to happen.

I don't mean to scare you, this might mean something or it might mean nothing at all, but I figured you need to know. Tom Brady has rented an apartment in Miami.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/nfl/news-nfl-fans-believe-tom-brady-s-latest-70k-miami-beach-purchase-sign-things-come

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I don't mean to scare you, this might mean something or it might mean nothing at all, but I figured you need to know. Tom Brady has rented an apartment in Miami.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/nfl/news-nfl-fans-believe-tom-brady-s-latest-70k-miami-beach-purchase-sign-things-come

No worries, that's just Tom's new shag pad. Its for when he's sneakin in random super models, so he doesn't have to worry about his ex baby mama standing in the yard across from the family house and keepin a head count. 😎

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

No worries, that's just Tom's new shag pad. Its for when he's sneakin in random super models, so he doesn't have to worry about his ex baby mama standing in the yard across from the family house and keepin a head count. 😎

Ah yes, a shag pad, of course. I'm sure Tom will put it to good use. 🤔

• Options

@doubledragon think of the children please

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@doubledragon said:

He had 6.4 yards per attempt probably the lowest of his career. He only got those yards because he set a record for attempts at 733.
    To put it into perspective Mahomes would have thrown for just shy of 6000 yards with his 8.1 per attempt if he had 733 pass attempts.

Excellent point. TB was behind so often this season, Brady was able to rack up a lot of cumulative stats this season. His 6.4 YPA was second lowest after 6.3 back in 2002.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@Darin said:
    Draft kings has him at +150 odds taking his first snap for the Raiders next year.
    Please let this happen nothing like going out on bottom!

Are you just sick of Brady? Because I can only assume you appreciate him like I do Mahomes...

• Options

Brady's newest comments - " Of course I'm going to play somewhere next season - I't's not like I have a Wife and family to go home to"

• Options

Dov Kleiman
    @NFL_DovKleiman
    ·
    Follow
    The #Raiders believe Tom Brady would consider signing with them if he returns for the 2023 season.

The Raiders are one of "about three teams" Brady would consider, according to @JFowlerESPN

The #Bucs are also not completely out of it.