Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 2023 Boeing Coin Show is this Saturday and Sunday!

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2023 2:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

JAN 21-22, 2023

Kent Commons
525 4th Ave. N.
Kent, WA

I missed this show last year, but I cleared my schedule this time.

This is a fun NW show! Lots of dealers, and some interesting Boeing artifacts as well.

Who's going this time?

Dave

seattlebecc.org/show/CoinShow.html

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Too far west for me, awaiting your report with pics! Please. Good luck.

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The Boeing Coin Show was always a really good show. I always went when I lived in Seattle. Show reports please.... Cheers, RickO

  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ll be set up there with a single table! Great show!

  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Planning on Saturday.

  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Made me think of Russ, R.I.P.

  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just for technical correction, it's the Boeing Employee's Coin Club (BECC), not a Boeing show.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

    I’ll try to get down there on Saturday

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 4:02AM

    The 2023 medals are coming:

    http://seattlebecc.org/medals/Medals.html

    It's very cool to see the updates on progress on the website.

    Does anyone know who strikes these?

    BECC said:
    2023 medals feature KC-46A

    December 2022 update: Medals will be available in the very near future as I try to assemble three-piece set holders and put orders together. See you at the December meeting!!

    October-November 2022 update: There has been a strong response to this year’s medals as the orders keep coming in. The medals are in the process of being struck. Pewter medals are in the process of being polished. We are hopeful that the medals will be available at the November meeting. Instead of going with a generic holder we approached Capital Plastics for custom holders again and are waiting for the quote and delivery. If things are favorable, we will go with the custom black holders.

    September 2022 update: The 2023 KC-46 Refueling medal design will have its entire production run of silver medals at the standard one ounce. The club ordered enough material for 200 silver, and 100 each of pewter, bronze and copper, one ounce medals. The BECC has cut a check to the mint to purchase the needed silver. The price of silver was locked at $21.50. Silver medals will cost $40. There were minor increases in the price of bronze, pewter and copper medals due to increases in minting costs.

    June 2022 update: Last year, supply chain issues and silver demand had a huge impact on our medals order. I was hoping that the "supply chain issues" were all going to be resolved for this year’s medal. The demand for silver is still high. Even though the price has dropped some, it’s not a lot compared to last year. I don’t know if all the foundries are back up and running or not. But after having BEX, the company that makes our medal, checking around with all the foundries I have some bad news … The 2023 KC-46 medal design will have its entire production run of silver medals at the standard one ounce. The 1.5 ounce planchet is non-standard and the demand for the standard one ounce is so high that no foundry will stop to convert their process for our limited run of planchets. So 2023 will have a one-ounce silver medal, which beats no silver medal at all.

    May 2022 update: Boeing Licensing and Marketing has approved the design on the club’s 2023 medal. Two planes meant two different “groups” had to approve the design. Yes, there were changes that had to be made, but the good news is they provided a similar photo except the picture was taken from the other side of the plane. Not that they were really nitpicky, but it turns out the photo I was given by Boeing that I based the design off of was actually an artist concept of the plane before final design and there were subtle differences. Some tweaking was done and they liked how it turned out so it didn’t take too long the second time around for the collective okays and approval. A deposit for this medal has been mailed to the mint.

    March/April 2022 update: Work has begun on the club’s 2023 medal!! The current 2023 design is ready to go for Boeing approval – hoping this goes smoothly as they supplied the picture the main design is based on.The 2023 design is going to depict a KC-46A refueling a F-15E fighter jet with another F-15E in the view.

  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins

    "Who makes the medals? - Over the years, BECC medals have been made by a variety of mints, including Medallic Art Co., Metal Arts Co., Golden State Mint, Northwest Territorial Mint and BEX Engraving of Fullerton, Calif. BEX in the current minter of the medals. BECC medals are manufactured based on artwork supplied by the Boeing graphics department, or by a Boeing artist. The medals are struck using specially polished dies and medal blanks.

    Former U.S. Mint sculptor-engraver Thomas D. Rogers, who is a PNNA honorary life member and designed the obverse of the PNNA’s 75th anniversary medal, also has sculpted the Boeing airplanes on some recent BECC medals when commissioned by BEX Engraving."

    The Golden State Mint struck the medals for quite a few years, going back to the 1980's.

    Eric Holcomb has been doing a fantastic job with the BECC and PNNA websites for over two decades.

    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Nysoto said:
    @Zoins

    "Who makes the medals? - Over the years, BECC medals have been made by a variety of mints, including Medallic Art Co., Metal Arts Co., Golden State Mint, Northwest Territorial Mint and BEX Engraving of Fullerton, Calif. BEX in the current minter of the medals. BECC medals are manufactured based on artwork supplied by the Boeing graphics department, or by a Boeing artist. The medals are struck using specially polished dies and medal blanks.

    Former U.S. Mint sculptor-engraver Thomas D. Rogers, who is a PNNA honorary life member and designed the obverse of the PNNA’s 75th anniversary medal, also has sculpted the Boeing airplanes on some recent BECC medals when commissioned by BEX Engraving."

    The Golden State Mint struck the medals for quite a few years, going back to the 1980's.

    Eric Holcomb has been doing a fantastic job with the BECC and PNNA websites for over two decades.

    Great info @Nysoto!

    The PNNA 75th Anniversary medals look really nice!

    Found some images on the PNNA website thanks to Eric!

    https://pnna.org/catalog/convention32.html

  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2023 11:00PM

    I believe my uncle-in-law was a BECC member and always went to this show in the 80s and 90s.

    I should be there for my first time on Saturday as I'm in the area.
    May be a short visit as I mainly look for half dimes, but we'll see!

  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Im debating going tomorrow. It’s close and I like stopping by even if it’s quick, but I haven’t bought anything there in years and my schedule is really busy. Can anyone tell me it’s definitely not worth attending so I don’t have fomo if I don’t go?

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Shoot - can't make it - have fun! :+1:

    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @airplanenut said:
    Im debating going tomorrow. It’s close and I like stopping by even if it’s quick, but I haven’t bought anything there in years and my schedule is really busy. Can anyone tell me it’s definitely not worth attending so I don’t have fomo if I don’t go?

    Great show. You should go, Jeremy! West Coast Coins has a HUGE number of tables, with incredible coins. It was very busy yesterday. Wish I had more time to go today.

    Dave

    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 9:47AM

    @2windy2fish said:
    I’ll be set up there with a single table! Great show!

    It was good to catch up with you Daryl.
    See you at Spring PNNA.

  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Dave99B said:

    @airplanenut said:
    Im debating going tomorrow. It’s close and I like stopping by even if it’s quick, but I haven’t bought anything there in years and my schedule is really busy. Can anyone tell me it’s definitely not worth attending so I don’t have fomo if I don’t go?

    Great show. You should go, Jeremy! West Coast Coins has a HUGE number of tables, with incredible coins. It was very busy yesterday. Wish I had more time to go today.

    Dave

    When I don't finish my work today, I'm blaming you. Gah, I chose the wrong week to get famous.

    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 4:43AM

    Here are photos of a couple of my (half dime) finds from the show.

    1843 V-1b - obv bisecting die crack


    1849 V-1

    (crop of the above, showing the under digits 846)

  • 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @yosclimber! next time say hello! i had several half dimes in binders that you likely missed…not sure what you may be looking for!

  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2023 3:20AM

    I'll definitely say hi if you are at the 2/11 Kent show or the Spring PNNA.
    The above are good examples of the coins I am looking for - raw seated half dimes with die cracks.
    Most dealers don't have them, which is understandable.
    (I don't buy ones as nice as your avatar coin, the 1838 V-14; that coin is the second finest known V-14).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file