Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a truer reflection of the actual coin

I have been reading a lot on these boards, trying to learn, and have taken heed to being patient while collecting. I don’t purchase based on the grade on the slab rather the coin itself. I have been collecting the Morgan Silver Dollars and came across this 1892 coin. At first glance it seemed somewhat “polished” I checked on the PCGS verification page and the digital version of the coin came up and it looked a lot different then the coin I was looking at. My question is two fold.
Are the digital pictures the PCGS provides a good representation of the actual coin? Does the coin being shown on the eBay website better reflect the actual coin? I don’t want to accuse anyone of doing anything immoral, but they don’t look like each other in the way of luster to me, but then again I admittedly realize I am a pure novice when it comes to this so I thought I would ask for opinons before making a decision.
Thank you in advance
Scott

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say without the coin in hand. The True Views will be accurate if you light the coin the same way. PCGS has no reason to try to fool some with the photo.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

It’s not really possible to say which images are more accurate, without having seen the coin in hand.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

TruViews tend to look much different than the coin in hand in most cases.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

The truer reflection of the actual coin will always be what the coin looks like in the lighting you are looking at it. Therefore, it will not be a single image.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Especially with toning, the coin will look very different in different light. Those pictures from the seller and true view and two different views with different lighting. It appears to be the same coin, and nothing nefarious going on. In most cases I find slab shots to be closer to what it will look like in hand in normal light in a room, so personally I would only buy the coin if those pictures appealed to you.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 11:26PM

@gumby1234 said:
    TruViews tend to look much different than the coin in hand in most cases.

I’ve found TrueViews to be very similar to viewing coins in hand for those with strong color.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

A savey seller, to me,should showcase the photos that show the best copy,he thinks, would make the customer relaxed and confident with his decision.
    Photos are very easy these days and are a good reference on file.
    Also its fun and self rewarding.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EaglesWin52... Welcome aboard. You are correct to be cautious. It has been demonstrated here on the forum, hundreds of times, how photographs of coins, in different lighting or angles, can be different than in hand. Such differences may not be intentional, or they may be concealing something. In purchases, be sure you can return the coin, do not be afraid to ask for additional images. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Welcome!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file