Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I watched this ebay auction I'm kind of intrigued

Can you guys tell me what you think of it.
Take a close look at it especially the reverse.
I didn't bid on it and if someone here did I am not making light of it.
I'm really just curious.
Item number 165875800572

Comments

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I didn’t see that item number. Please post a link to the listing.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Extremely suspect. Poor, possibly deceptive photography. Likely cleaned or some other alteration, IMO.

  • Options

    I don't know how to do that

  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The item number is not correct I believe.

  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 7:29PM

    How about posting the title/description?

    ----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Can't comment if we can't find it....

    ----- kj
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Idk

    It is reflective but they are flooding it with light so it's hard to see the actual surface.

  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 15, 2023 10:38PM

    If you look on the reverse from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock it looks like they also may have put a little sparkle on the coin.
    I am not always correct in my assumptions so I am trying to zero in on a better eye for detail and I will. I have done it very well in other aspects of my life. I know it takes time.
    I'm trying to learn the ins and out of some of these coins. I think ebay is a good place to learn many different things from a purchasing standpoint. It's not the same as the knowledge garnered here.
    I'll just leave it at that.
    Edit to correct spelling.
    I made a mistake and spelled put incorrectly as pit. I am very sorry and I will try not to make another mistake.
    I'm doing the best I can to be a good part of this community.
    I am sorry.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Watchtower said:
    If you look on the reverse from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock it looks like they also may have pit a little sparkle on the coin.
    I am not always correct in my assumptions so I am trying to zero in on a better eye for detail and I will. I have done it very well in other aspects of my life. I know it takes time.
    I'm trying to learn the ins and out of some of these coins. I think ebay is a good place to learn many different things from a purchasing standpoint. It's not the same as the knowledge garnered here.
    I'll just leave it at that.

    I looked at the reverse images, but didn’t see anything resembling “If you look on the reverse from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock it looks like they also may have pit a little sparkle on the coin.”.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If I enlarge that area between 2 and 5 on the reverse, there is a cross shaped “sparkle” on the serif area of the top of each of the raised letters. I also see a bunch of horizontal parallel scratches going from right to left angling upwards towards the right.. The scratches go up and over the devices like it was cleaned with something abrasive. I believe the photo was altered to mask the scratches and the “sparkles” are a side effect of the photo alteration.

    Mr_Spud

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Mr_Spud said:
    If I enlarge that area between 2 and 5 on the reverse, there is a cross shaped “sparkle” on the serif area of the top of each of the raised letters. I also see a bunch of horizontal parallel scratches going from right to left angling upwards towards the right.. The scratches go up and over the devices like it was cleaned with something abrasive. I believe the photo was altered to mask the scratches and the “sparkles” are a side effect of the photo alteration.

    Ah, thank you.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PL's and DMPL's are really hard to photograph. I think it's a 50/50 shot at getting what you think will be legit. There are very few professional photos on ebay and the rest you just have to gamble.

  • Options

    @bsshog40 said:
    PL's and DMPL's are really hard to photograph. I think it's a 50/50 shot at getting what you think will be legit. There are very few professional photos on ebay and the rest you just have to gamble.

    Or we can pass I suppose.

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Watchtower said:

    @bsshog40 said:
    PL's and DMPL's are really hard to photograph. I think it's a 50/50 shot at getting what you think will be legit. There are very few professional photos on ebay and the rest you just have to gamble.

    Or we can pass I suppose.

    I like the idea of passing on it. If you have doubts its probably best especially with those photos.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @gumby1234 said:

    @Watchtower said:

    @bsshog40 said:
    PL's and DMPL's are really hard to photograph. I think it's a 50/50 shot at getting what you think will be legit. There are very few professional photos on ebay and the rest you just have to gamble.

    Or we can pass I suppose.

    I like the idea of passing on it. If you have doubts its probably best especially with those photos.

    Based on the images, to do otherwise would be looking for trouble.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That would be a pass for me.... When on ebay, anything that raises suspicion on my part, gets passed over. Just not worth the hassle. Have I missed any good deals? Probably! However, I am sure most of what I passed were just potential problems and disappointments. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would pass just based on the images.

    Vplite99

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file