Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can this coin be conserved?

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2023 8:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I did a quick dip on this coin as it's toning was ugly (IMO). Unfortunately one small area is left that I can't seem to get off. I tried a q-tip with some solution to see if I could gently wipe it out but that didn't work.

Opinions on if PCGS can get rid of this? Otherwise its a nice sample... no toning present on reverse.

Thanks!

Before:

After:

Comments

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would guess it would likely leave an obvious mark if it was able to be removed.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @privatecoin said:
    I would guess it would likely leave an obvious mark if it was able to be removed.

    That's what I'm afraid of... Otoh it's in a somewhat busy area so maybe it won't be distracting.

    A little more info: under a loupe it seems to be mostly in cracks and crevices, not so much on the surfaces.

  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe a Redfield dollar with peach juice caked in. If the dip and Q-tip didn't work, doubt it can be removed.

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @nwcoast said:
    Might try a long soak in acetone in case it’s some organic matter.

    As I understand it acetone won't affect the surfaces, correct?

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Have you tried a long soak in acetone? If that crud is organic, the acetone may dissolve it. If the acetone only softens it, you may also want to gently work on that crud with a sharp toothpick or a rose thorn.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Have you tried a long soak in acetone? If that crud is organic, the acetone may dissolve it. If the acetone only softens it, you may also want to gently work on that crud with a sharp toothpick or a rose thorn.

    I would need something smaller than a toothpick. Perhaps a thorn might work. I'll try an acetone bath today.

  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @spyglassdesign said:

    @nwcoast said:
    Might try a long soak in acetone in case it’s some organic matter.

    As I understand it acetone won't affect the surfaces, correct?

    Acetone will not affect the silver adversely and is much less invasive than the dip.

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Acetone won't hurt your coin. Good luck and let us see how it turns out. :)

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Acetone won't hurt your coin. Good luck and let us see how it turns out. :)

    Thanks. I always try to show the results good bad or ugly. I've learned a lot from this forum and it's members and if my successes or failures help someone else in the future, all the better 😁

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would send it to NGC and have them do the conservation. They have done an excellent job conserving gold for me lately, removing all the problem spots.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Are you sure that's the same coin? ;)
    Before you go to bed tonight, change out the acetone with fresh acetone. It should look great by tomorrow morning. When you're done soaking it, you can do a final rinse with acetone which will quickly evaporate from the surface.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    Are you sure that's the same coin? ;)
    Before you go to bed tonight, change out the acetone with fresh acetone. It should look great by tomorrow morning. When you're done soaking it, you can do a final rinse with acetone which will quickly evaporate from the surface.

    I know... It was shocking how fast it started working.

    Will do thanks!

  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @spyglassdesign said:
    I know... It was shocking how fast it started working.

    If acetone is going to work at all, it usually starts working straight away. An hours-long soak rarely works better than a couple of minutes.

    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

    Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i didn't read the whole thread so maybe it is already said and/or you already know, if you have acetone uncovered in a large amount, MAKE sure you get some ventilation. :)

    glad the acetone munched that crud right off of the coin so easily. :)

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i didn't read the whole thread so maybe it is already said and/or you already know, if you have acetone uncovered in a large amount, MAKE sure you get some ventilation. :)

    glad the acetone munched that crud right off of the coin so easily. :)

    Seems a good portion of it so far. It's in a sealed jar, but yes good to mention ventilation for others that might read this.

  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm going with yes.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It looks great! The obverse looks like a MS64. Not sure what the reverse looks like. B)

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That coin now looks really good. Acetone is always my first 'go to' dip for contaminated surfaces. Will not affect the metal, or normal tarnish. But is a demon on organic contaminants. Thanks for the before, mid and after pictures. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:
    It looks great! The obverse looks like a MS64. Not sure what the reverse looks like. B)

    Thanks! It was actually in a pcgs ms64 holder before but the toning was so bad (imo). Now it's more presentable.

  • Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    That coin now looks really good. Acetone is always my first 'go to' dip for contaminated surfaces. Will not affect the metal, or normal tarnish. But is a demon on organic contaminants. Thanks for the before, mid and after pictures. Cheers, RickO

    Also, if a toned coin is sitting in acetone and you shine a light on it, the light will penetrate the toning better while it's wet, allowing a better look at the surfaces underneath. It's not perfect, but it works well enough for me to determine if a coin is a candidate for a dip, or best left alone.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Atcarroll ... That is an excellent tip... I have noticed that phenomena before, but neglected to mention it. I do not think it will reveal everything, but certainly allows better evaluation. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Atcarroll said:

    @ricko said:
    That coin now looks really good. Acetone is always my first 'go to' dip for contaminated surfaces. Will not affect the metal, or normal tarnish. But is a demon on organic contaminants. Thanks for the before, mid and after pictures. Cheers, RickO

    Also, if a toned coin is sitting in acetone and you shine a light on it, the light will penetrate the toning better while it's wet, allowing a better look at the surfaces underneath. It's not perfect, but it works well enough for me to determine if a coin is a candidate for a dip, or best left alone.

    Interesting. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time! Although in this case once I cracked it out I was going to dip it regardless, but good to know for future!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file