Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recommendation for Label Maker/Printer for Dansco Albums [Gold Lettering]

AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2023 10:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello all! I am trying to see if others have already tackled this idea.

I am trying to create a custom Dansco album and have it look as close as possible to the real thing.

I've been able to find a label maker for printing text for pages. For example here is a page I made for the American Women Quarters Series

But I am having the darndest time finding any sort of label maker or printer for the gold lettering for the spine and front album.

Folks have any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look up Nerdforge on YouTube, the designers make custom medieval styled books and apply gold lettering in a way that would work for a Dansco. It's not printed on, rather they etch the letters into the cover and use a gold leaf paint of sorts.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlbumNerd... Nice work on the quarters page. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently created a custom album for my encased irradiated dime collection and faced some of the same issues. I ended up opting for the Whitman album. I bought blank pages and customized them like you did.

As far as the Dansco goes, it will be nearly impossible to find a label tape with gold lettering on brown. What might work is to buy a blank Dansco binder cover and then use label tape with gold lettering on clear tape. Several widths of tape available.

Another option might be to create a rectangular title block out of a contrasting material and then put the gold lettering on that. That is essentially what I did on my project, but admit it looks a little clunkier than I hoped. It is gold letters on a black title block on the navy blue album cover.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't you just get a Dansco that says Quarters on it already?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

You used to be able to buy sheets of transfer letters (Letraset is the brand name).

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    You used to be able to buy sheets of transfer letters (Letraset is the brand name).

Wow, that brings me back to the '60's. I used Letraset all the time with my model trains.

I haven't seen Letraset in decades, but a quick search of Amazon for dry transfer letters - gold yields a number of choices.

The only thing about Letraset is that I recall getting the best transfers on hard objects. It might be tricky on an album cover.

Great Suggestion!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking into this as well, I have bought a few different gold leaf pens that didn't work. In the mean time I just did white lettering on brown background, this is still a work in progress.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did an OUTSTANDING job on that page @AlbumNerd!! 👍🏻 I don't see how anyone could improve on that! I like your incentive and motivation to create your own custom album. It really adds to the interest in this hobby. Sorry, I have no idea about the spine and cover for the album.

I've only attempted one custom page. This was a blank small dollar page. It's in the back of my 7070. My wife created the labels on the computer. After seeing your page, I'm now thinking about modifying it somehow.

Not the best pictures but you get the point.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Beautiful @WALLE!! 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Can't you just get a Dansco that says Quarters on it already?

Sadly the plain Quarters album is both expensive and rare. Plus I would like to go for an album that specifically says American Women Quarters

@OAKSTAR said:
    You did an OUTSTANDING job on that page @AlbumNerd!! 👍🏻 I don't see how anyone could improve on that! I like your incentive and motivation to create your own custom album. It really adds to the interest in this hobby. Sorry, I have no idea about the spine and cover for the album.

I've only attempted one custom page. This was a blank small dollar page. It's in the back of my 7070. My wife created the labels on the computer. After seeing your page, I'm now thinking about modifying it somehow.

Thank you for the kind words OAKSTAR! I really like your page as well!

May I ask what you used to hold the coins in holes that didn't fit them? It looks like some sort of black cardboard?

• Options

I used these foam rings from the Airtite holders.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 1:03PM

Very nice. Thank you for the heads up!

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭

Find a friend with a cricut or pick one up for yourself at hobby lobby. You can get gold vinyl, put it into a computer and it will cut it out. I've been thinking of getting one for this very purpose

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file