Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bolivian Coinage reference

Does anyone have any literary sources for Bolivian Republic pieces? 1827-1863, 8,4,2,1 and 1/2 soles (any and all.) I’ve had a hard time finding much in way of…well, anything! 😅 Old our new.

Much appreciated!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only Bolivian reference I know of is for procs.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, don’t think one exists

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 6:15AM

Do not know if this might help you, it is in Spanish:

Banco Central de Bolivia
    MUSEO VIRTUAL DE BILLETES Y MONEDAS [VIRTUAL MUSEUM OF BANKNOTES AND COINS]
    https://www.bcb.gob.bo/?q=museo-virtual

Edit: and do not know if brings more info as the one on the Krause catalogs.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen that, thanks Eluis. I speak Spanish, so that’s just fine.

I really think someone should work on the National Bolivian coin collection. It’s severely lacking.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect you are looking for something far more comprehensive but the Julius Guttag collection arranged by Edgar Adams has some pages dedicated to Bolivian coinage- this book dates back to 1974 and was published by Quarterman Publications

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I suspect you are looking for something far more comprehensive but the Julius Guttag collection arranged by Edgar Adams has some pages dedicated to Bolivian coinage- this book dates back to 1974 and was published by Quarterman Publications

Actually the Guttag book dates to 1927-ish. You have a reprint.

• Options

Did they update the reprint at all? I’ve seen the original.

• Options

No. They just reprinted it to make it more available.

• Options

I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

1929- And yes... mine is a reprint

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW said:

I really think someone should work on the National Bolivian coin collection. It’s severely lacking.

I attended a public event in 1975 (like a county fair) when my family was living in Bolivia. There was a surprisingly good exhibit of Bolivian coinage but at the age of 10, I can't remember what was in it.

Mostly though, I suspect the national collection (whatever there is of it) doesn't meet US collector standards because practically all of the better coinage left the country a long time ago. It's possible a lot of it ended up being melted too in the 1979/1980 silver boom, like the thousands of Bolivianos I saw in the markets. It wasn't worth very much at the time. None of that apparently since I have been back as an adult.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 1:21PM

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 3:30PM

@pruebas said:
    I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

Freeman Craig sales too. He did a nice job of providing context on certain coins in the descriptions. Been very helpful to me in the past.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

Freeman Craig sales too. He did a nice job of providing context on certain coins in the descriptions. Been very helpful to me in the past.

Decimal or pre-decimal?

I wasn't aware Paul Bosco conducted auctions. I bought the NGC MS-64 1875 Boliviano from him as an AU but sold it in 2006 to fund acquisitions from the Heritage Whittier sale.

I still regret selling the coin.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 4:14PM

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

Decimal or pre-decimal?

I wasn't aware Paul Bosco conducted auctions. I bought the NGC MS-64 1875 Boliviano from him as an AU but sold it in 2006 to fund acquisitions from the Heritage Whittier sale.

@WCC maybe they were fixed price lists? I’m just recalling this from memory. Paul was a serious numismatist in the 1970s (before my time as a collector).

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 4:42PM

Found these, no idea if they are avail... or if they could help

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 4:43PM

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@WCC said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

Decimal or pre-decimal?

@WCC maybe they were fixed price lists? I’m just recalling this from memory. Paul was a serious numismatist in the 1970s (before my time as a collector).

No you're remembering correctly, as I just bought one of his old auction catalogs for the info on chop marked coins

• Options

Thanks folks! I picked up a few things that may be helpful from your suggestions!