Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bolivian Coinage reference

Does anyone have any literary sources for Bolivian Republic pieces? 1827-1863, 8,4,2,1 and 1/2 soles (any and all.) I’ve had a hard time finding much in way of…well, anything! 😅 Old our new.

Much appreciated!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The only Bolivian reference I know of is for procs.

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Agree, don’t think one exists

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 5:15AM

    Do not know if this might help you, it is in Spanish:

    Banco Central de Bolivia
    MUSEO VIRTUAL DE BILLETES Y MONEDAS [VIRTUAL MUSEUM OF BANKNOTES AND COINS]
    https://www.bcb.gob.bo/?q=museo-virtual

    Edit: and do not know if brings more info as the one on the Krause catalogs.

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ve seen that, thanks Eluis. I speak Spanish, so that’s just fine.

    I really think someone should work on the National Bolivian coin collection. It’s severely lacking.

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suspect you are looking for something far more comprehensive but the Julius Guttag collection arranged by Edgar Adams has some pages dedicated to Bolivian coinage- this book dates back to 1974 and was published by Quarterman Publications

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinkat said:
    I suspect you are looking for something far more comprehensive but the Julius Guttag collection arranged by Edgar Adams has some pages dedicated to Bolivian coinage- this book dates back to 1974 and was published by Quarterman Publications

    Actually the Guttag book dates to 1927-ish. You have a reprint.

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Did they update the reprint at all? I’ve seen the original.

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No. They just reprinted it to make it more available.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1929- And yes... mine is a reprint

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SimonW said:

    I really think someone should work on the National Bolivian coin collection. It’s severely lacking.

    I attended a public event in 1975 (like a county fair) when my family was living in Bolivia. There was a surprisingly good exhibit of Bolivian coinage but at the age of 10, I can't remember what was in it.

    Mostly though, I suspect the national collection (whatever there is of it) doesn't meet US collector standards because practically all of the better coinage left the country a long time ago. It's possible a lot of it ended up being melted too in the 1979/1980 silver boom, like the thousands of Bolivianos I saw in the markets. It wasn't worth very much at the time. None of that apparently since I have been back as an adult.

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 12:21PM

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 2:30PM

    @pruebas said:
    I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

    Freeman Craig sales too. He did a nice job of providing context on certain coins in the descriptions. Been very helpful to me in the past.

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Boosibri said:

    @pruebas said:
    I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

    Freeman Craig sales too. He did a nice job of providing context on certain coins in the descriptions. Been very helpful to me in the past.

    Decimal or pre-decimal?

    I wasn't aware Paul Bosco conducted auctions. I bought the NGC MS-64 1875 Boliviano from him as an AU but sold it in 2006 to fund acquisitions from the Heritage Whittier sale.

    I still regret selling the coin.

  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 3:14PM

    @WCC said:

    @Boosibri said:

    @pruebas said:
    I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

    Freeman Craig sales too. He did a nice job of providing context on certain coins in the descriptions. Been very helpful to me in the past.

    Decimal or pre-decimal?

    I wasn't aware Paul Bosco conducted auctions. I bought the NGC MS-64 1875 Boliviano from him as an AU but sold it in 2006 to fund acquisitions from the Heritage Whittier sale.

    I still regret selling the coin.

    @WCC maybe they were fixed price lists? I’m just recalling this from memory. Paul was a serious numismatist in the 1970s (before my time as a collector).

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 3:42PM

    Found these, no idea if they are avail... or if they could help






  • ELuisELuis Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 3:43PM

    .

  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pruebas said:

    @WCC said:

    @Boosibri said:

    @pruebas said:
    I heard that early Paul Bosco catalogs had lots of Bolivian and might serve as a reference of sorts.

    Freeman Craig sales too. He did a nice job of providing context on certain coins in the descriptions. Been very helpful to me in the past.

    Decimal or pre-decimal?

    I wasn't aware Paul Bosco conducted auctions. I bought the NGC MS-64 1875 Boliviano from him as an AU but sold it in 2006 to fund acquisitions from the Heritage Whittier sale.

    I still regret selling the coin.

    @WCC maybe they were fixed price lists? I’m just recalling this from memory. Paul was a serious numismatist in the 1970s (before my time as a collector).

     
     

    No you're remembering correctly, as I just bought one of his old auction catalogs for the info on chop marked coins

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks folks! I picked up a few things that may be helpful from your suggestions!

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Sign In or Register to comment.