Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just thinking again … is there a role for GPS trackers like Airtags or Smartags in Coin shipments

retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reading several of the blogs here recently about lost and or delayed coin shipments, it got me to thinking about GPS type tracing devices.

I just shipped a piece of luggage in advance of a 2 week trip (as I did not like what I saw on the news about all the delays and lost pieces at airports). My luggage piece shipped via Fed Ex ground and I had put in 2 different Android trackers to try them out. Oh yea - I had entertainment for the next 5 days as I watch my luggage ship across the country right to the doorstep of the address. This included all the truck stops and the couple of FedEx truck transfers points.

So saying that, I wonder if sellers and auction houses could use similar GPS tags in those higher (one of kind) value shipments to track the article. Kind of like for the Bass pieces. I picture a seller enclosing a GPS tracker housed in the package and enclosed it in a self-address envelope that when arrived, the buyer would return the tracker in the envelope for reuse by the sellers

I would think insurance companies would jump on this to help make claim management more manageable.

Well … I was just thinking.

Comments

  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For Ebay stuff and other online sales - yes. PCGS/NGC registered - marginal

  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭

    what is the cost of the trackers?

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If anyone is interested, here is some info on the FedEx offering (i.e., SenseAware).

  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fedex single journey in US is $150

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think GPS trackers are a good idea for high value shipments. With the technology becoming more advanced and cheaper, I think we'll see more of them in the future.

    Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here’s a couple from eBay.


    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I bought a 2 pack of each ... Smarttag and TILE ... for Android devices ... about 35$ for pack of 2.

    Thanks for the feedback ... I did not know these options at PCGS and FEDEX were available the

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is an interesting option. It will help with lost/misplaced packages. Not sure it will help much with stolen goods though... Of course, there are a lot of dumb thieves out there, so it could catch some... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @retirednow said:
    Reading several of the blogs here recently about lost and or delayed coin shipments, it got me to thinking about GPS type tracing devices.

    I just shipped a piece of luggage in advance of a 2 week trip (as I did not like what I saw on the news about all the delays and lost pieces at airports). My luggage piece shipped via Fed Ex ground and I had put in 2 different Android trackers to try them out. Oh yea - I had entertainment for the next 5 days as I watch my luggage ship across the country right to the doorstep of the address. This included all the truck stops and the couple of FedEx truck transfers points.

    So saying that, I wonder if sellers and auction houses could use similar GPS tags in those higher (one of kind) value shipments to track the article. Kind of like for the Bass pieces. I picture a seller enclosing a GPS tracker housed in the package and enclosed it in a self-address envelope that when arrived, the buyer would return the tracker in the envelope for reuse by the sellers

    I would think insurance companies would jump on this to help make claim management more manageable.

    Well … I was just thinking.

    thanks for the post. we've discussed these before and mostly, in my mind, i was only thinking of the negative applications but using these in such fashion is a great idea.

    if the shipping services get enough gps tracking data from missing packages, it will help to refine and triangulate precisely where in the chain the problems are occurring.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The TILE Pro 4-packs are sometimes on sale at Costco. I use them to find my checked bags, locate by bourse keys, etc. The app can take the phone's battery down a little faster, but that is not a big deal to me.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 9:35AM

    I received a package in a Priority Mail flat rate envelope once that had all sorts of stickers the seller had printed up with anti-theft warnings, more numerous than the Colonel's herbs and spices, all presumably based on distrust of the USPS. One of the labels mentioned RFID tracking. All BS, but worth a chuckle for the day. I love the coin I received, but the seller was definitely a piece of work.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:
    I received a package in a Priority Mail flat rate envelope once that had all sorts of stickers the seller had printed up with anti-theft warnings, more numerous than the Colonel's herbs and spices, all presumably based on distrust of the USPS. One of the labels mentioned RFID tracking. All BS, but worth a chuckle for the day. I love the coin I received, but the seller was definitely a piece of work.

    have you ever shared a pic. i for one would LOVE to see it. i've seen some doozies in my day but i get the impression the package you mention, SET the standard! :)

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Glen2022 said:
    what is the cost of the trackers?

    In the $20 to $50 range... single unit price. Amazon has $29/1 or $99/4 for the Apple AirTag. Samsung Galaxy SmartTag+ is $32. Tile's units range from $20-25.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just sent my $7000 emtb air from Newark to Paris, then ground from Paris to Faro, the airtag did a good job of tracking it.

  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hmmm... I should hook one to my Ex's car for fun.... :D

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The dealer I bought my Early Gold from used an Apple Air Tag and included a postage paid envelope to send it back.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pcgscacgold said:
    The dealer I bought my Early Gold from used an Apple Air Tag and included a postage paid envelope to send it back.

    I imagine that before long you'll be able to get custom branded trackers with your company logo on them.

  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    This is an interesting option. It will help with lost/misplaced packages. Not sure it will help much with stolen goods though... Of course, there are a lot of dumb thieves out there, so it could catch some... Cheers, RickO

    Interesting. I was told by a friend that they had a another friend that lost luggage with the airline and tracked it with a tracker, when showed up at the airport, they went down to see if they could retrieve it .... then it showed up in a new location ... the dump. Airline claimed they did not have it revived at the airport.

  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @privatecoin said:
    Hmmm... I should hook one to my Ex's car for fun.... :D

    there are app's for smart phones that will detect if it being ping frequently ... this would imply a tracker is close to the phone and most likely riding along with it .... just saying

  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pcgscacgold said:
    The dealer I bought my Early Gold from used an Apple Air Tag and included a postage paid envelope to send it back.

    that is smart ,,,, I wonder what their feedback is about using tracker?

  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That’s a great idea.

    It made me think, if/when they get cheap enough, maybe PCGS can include a gps tracker in with the chip inside the slab as an anti theft device.

    Mr_Spud

  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Mr_Spud said:
    That’s a great idea.

    It made me think, if/when they get cheap enough, maybe PCGS can include a gps tracker in with the chip inside the slab as an anti theft device.

    Power is the problem. It still takes a fair bit to pull in the satellites for tracking. Amplification and signal processing aren't free on the energy budget. The RFID style tags are passive, and just need a tiny amount of energy to power on and squirt a weak signal.

    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If I was using a PO Box, I don't think I'd be too happy to bring a package home with a GPS tracker in it.

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suspect they will work great when the shipment goes as planned. If somewhere along the way, the package was rifled or stripped of contents, it would only show where the empty package and packing material were left.

  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If the thief doesn't know there's a tracker in the package, the discard locale is still a lead worth following up on. There are cctv cameras in a lot more places than ever before. Just saying.

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file