Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My favorite Goudey Ruth #181. Paying the premium for eye appeal within the grade is worth it.

I love the #181 due to the vibrant colors, the bold close up of Ruth, and because it doesn't take any artistic liberties showing he wasn't exactly a Clark Gable. He's a ballplayer not a movie star :)

Finding a Ruth with a clean front, great color, no creases, corners better than a 1971 Topps Super; and excellent centering is extremely hard and super satisfying. Honest corner wear on this example. The back of the card is equally as nice.

Sometimes you just have to pay up and grab one when it presents, even if it isn't in the 2005 price range anymore :smile:

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful card... I suspect I would be disappointed with the grade so I will not ask.

Seems the Ruth cards from the 1962 Topps set is worth mentioning

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭

With colors like that I would NOT care about the corners. Looks beautiful.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Wonderful card... I suspect I would be disappointed with the grade so I will not ask.

Seems the Ruth cards from the 1962 Topps set is worth mentioning

PSA 2

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color looks vibrant for the type and age. It is sad that a card with this look does not grade higher as it is being held to an unobtainable standard. It was simply a different world in 1933. And grading standards simply overlook this. While I have an appreciation as to the need for having popular cards graded that have value based on condition, the grade assigned to this card rings hallow in terms of capturing what kids experienced during the Great Depression as well as how similar types of cards and paper survived in varying states of preservation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    The color looks vibrant for the type and age. It is sad that a card with this look does not grade higher as it is being held to an unobtainable standard. It was simply a different world in 1933. And grading standards simply overlook this. While I have an appreciation as to the need for having popular cards graded that have value based on condition, the grade assigned to this card rings hallow in terms of capturing what kids experienced during the Great Depression as well as how similar types of cards and paper survived in varying states of preservation.

I hear ya. Standards are tough on the big cards. I think the market has taken that into account since some low grade cards with good eye appeal have been outpacing some higher graded cards.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

181 is the coolest vintage card imo / my all time favorite congrats

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Thankful I bought mine before Covid. I was only somewhat patient, feeling as though I was going to miss my chance, and I would have been right,. It's a 1 that is nice, with strong corners, but O/C and the green isn't as bright, looking a bit washed out. Oh, it had a pin hole too, but my budget was right around $1-1.2K.

I would have loved to pick up a copy just like yours and looking back now, it would have been a very good decision to do so.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, great card. Congrats on the pickup!

Daniel
  • Options

@mrmopar said:
    Thankful I bought mine before Covid. I was only somewhat patient, feeling as though I was going to miss my chance, and I would have been right,. It's a 1 that is nice, with strong corners, but O/C and the green isn't as bright, looking a bit washed out. Oh, it had a pin hole too, but my budget was right around $1-1.2K.

I would have loved to pick up a copy just like yours and looking back now, it would have been a very good decision to do so.

You got in with a great buy regardless!

It's always that balancing act. Fill the collection at a lower cost example that is more rough or pay the premium. I bought a very rough 1922 Caramel Montage Ruth. Can't pay the premium on all of them.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2023 7:54AM

I love that card! Congrats!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking #181. Congrats.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes you just have to pay up and grab one when it presents, even if it isn't in the 2005 price range anymore

I would've done the same.

Congratulations on a great pickup.

Been collecting for over 30 yrs and don't have a Ruth. Ya done real good buddy.

Mike
  • Options

That’s my favorite of the ‘33 Goudey Ruths as well.

I feel the prices on the 33 Ruths have moved too high for me to ever own one. Sadly I did not pull the trigger on this back in Fall of ‘18. sigh Win some lose some I tell myself.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Pickup!! Beautiful

• Options

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    That’s my favorite of the ‘33 Goudey Ruths as well.

I feel the prices on the 33 Ruths have moved too high for me to ever own one. Sadly I did not pull the trigger on this back in Fall of ‘18. sigh Win some lose some I tell myself.

Prices are quite high now on the Goudey Ruth's. Keep your eye out, they may still pull back a little.

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson ❤️
    I thought I was the only one!

• Options

@Tecmo Boil said:
    @1948_Swell_Robinson ❤️
    I thought I was the only one!

Fantastic! I just love how Babe's face is so big and bold on this card as if it is a representation of his personality.