Home Sports Talk
Options

The biggest, most unexpected blow out you ever saw.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Brazil. 2006

World Cup semi final

Germany 7
Brazil. 1

Comments

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2023 9:16AM

Personally, the Eagles-Raiders Super Bowl or game 5 of 83 World Series, which felt like blow outs.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember thinking the 1990 A's were going to destroy the Reds in the World Series.

Nope, they lost 4 games to 1 I believe.

so much for the bash brothers.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's keep it clean, guys...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had the misfortune to play Bama in the fall of 1972. We thought we were a very good team, lol.

The plane flight back to California was silent. Bama 66, Cal 0.
    Ouch.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the original post, Germany vs. Brazil (7-1) was a real blowout.

I know there have been other lopsided games in other sports, but what made this particularly a major blow out was that it happened in the semi-finals of the biggest sporting event of the world between two very good teams (actually, the two very best teams historically in the sport during a time when both teams were having a good year). Also, you have to factor in the fact that it was Brazil's home turf. This was not a game where a very strong team beat a mediocre team by a wide margin. These were the best of the best with none having an off year or rebuilding year. That is why it is so lopsided.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I remember thinking the 1990 A's were going to destroy the Reds in the World Series.

Actually, the Reds swept them in the Series. They presently have a nine game winning streak in the World Series.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Bowl XXIV (Jan. 28, 1990) - San Francisco 49ers def. Denver Broncos, 55–10

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jags 62-7 over the Dolphins in a 1999 playoff game. Dan Marino's final NFL game.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

65-7 two nights ago.

• Options

Almost. Key word Unexpected.

Ralph

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:

@craig44 said:

Actually, the Reds swept them in the Series. They presently have a nine game winning streak in the World Series.

Yes, you are correct. I must have been thinking about the 88 series vs LA. I think oakland won the first game and then lost 4 in a row that year.

The Reds blew the doors off from the A's even with Eric Davis being out. I dont remember which game he was injured, but I think he injured a kidney? attempting a diving catch in the OF.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers - September 10th, 1989. Browns laid on an old fashioned Butt Woopin"

Browns 51 - Steelers 0

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2023 8:09AM

Wasn't that a Bud Carson led team?? He showed promise as a HC but faded fast. The Browns have been paying for that walk-over for 30+ years now but it was fun to watch!! :p

• Options

If I remember correctly, which I do on occasion, Pittsburgh won the rematch and the Browns had their usual sucking year.

Ralph

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said: "Super Bowl XXIV (Jan. 28, 1990) - San Francisco 49ers def. Denver Broncos, 55–10"

This game was not as close as the score indicated.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't actually watch this game but the Memphis Grizzlies beating the OKC Thunder by 73 points has to be up there. The Griz won 152-79 in december of 2021.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jags 62-7 over the Dolphins in a 1999 playoff game. Dan Marino's final NFL game.

That game was unimaginable. It was like 55-7 at half or something like that.