Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Turn around times?

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been years since I sent something in. I sent in some orders last week. One of which is a walkthrough, but some moderns and regulars. Some are regrades, some crossovers, and some raw. What has been your experience in the turnaround times? I am not complaining I am just trying to set my expectations. In the past I have seen it be months and months with some submissions.

Comments

  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have not heard of delays in the walkthroughs. As for the others it will depend on what submission level and then if you are about average or long or short of average. Here are the averages - As noted: business days after being logged in and does not count shipping.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hi. I think these most recent submissions will come back to you a bit faster than the last time you submitted a few years ago. Wondercoin

    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I might get my submission that was just received by our host in April.

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have an economy submission that was receieved on 10-3-2022 still in "grading". I hope it moves to encapsulation sometime this month.

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SanctionII said:
    I have an economy submission that was receieved on 10-3-2022 still in "grading". I hope it moves to encapsulation sometime this month.

    I have an economy and a regular both received 10-11 that are also still in grading.

  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

    @SanctionII said:
    I have an economy submission that was receieved on 10-3-2022 still in "grading". I hope it moves to encapsulation sometime this month.

    That's nothing! Early September for me. No signs of improvement in times from my accounts. Hopefully things improve!!

    2288xxx 2694xx 10/6/2022 N/A Grading 10 Economy
    2287xxx 2689xx 9/26/2022 N/A Grading 9 Economy
    2284xxx 6692xx 9/9/2022 N/A Grading 10 Economy

  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

    economy is 3-4 months.

    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I thought 20 business days sounded too good to be true........

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @privatecoin said:
    I thought 20 business days sounded too good to be true........

    Not necessarily. I've had one modern order and it was done in half that time and the express orders I've submitted have also been fairly timely. It's just standard and economy that are very backed up.

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I did a quarterly special of 20 moderns that they received 12/28/22 and has tracking info for return now.

  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Should I be using Modern instead of regular (20 days vs. 50)? I'm only sending in moderns from the sixties and up.
    And does Gold shield mix with that? I Like to TV everything I send in.

  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Coinscratch said:
    Should I be using Modern instead of regular (20 days vs. 50)? I'm only sending in moderns from the sixties and up.
    And does Gold shield mix with that? I Like to TV everything I send in.

    Yes, absolutely, modern is 65 and up. They will TV each coin but you need to select the option and it's $5 extra for each coin.

  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am still waiting on results for a 1-coin world order that was logged in at PCGS on August 28. It finally moved to the QA stage late last week.

    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Coinscratch said:
    Should I be using Modern instead of regular (20 days vs. 50)? I'm only sending in moderns from the sixties and up.
    And does Gold shield mix with that? I Like to TV everything I send in.

    Just what lermish stated. Here is the submission form. In section 3 select gold shield. The moderns are like the Economy and do not come with gold shield as seen in section 6 with the little gold shield not being shown by them.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 1:33PM

    Deleted.

    @lermish and @lilolme typed faster than I did. :)

  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lilolme said:

    @Coinscratch said:
    Should I be using Modern instead of regular (20 days vs. 50)? I'm only sending in moderns from the sixties and up.
    And does Gold shield mix with that? I Like to TV everything I send in.

    Just what lermish stated. Here is the submission form. In section 3 select gold shield. The moderns are like the Economy and do not come with gold shield as seen in section 6 with the little gold shield not being shown by them.

    I never use the form I just do it from the website but you’re telling me that all this time I could’ve had my coins back in half the time? And so does this mean it will be True View but not with a gold shield emblem?

  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It should come with the gold shield on the holder. Example - I had some without a gold shield or TV and did a re-holder with gold shield. They came back in a gold shield holder with a TV.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options

    Can I ask what the gold shield indicates?
    Seems like a good time to ask.

  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Watchtower said:
    Can I ask what the gold shield indicates?
    Seems like a good time to ask.

    While this pcgs page indicates it includes the NFC, I believe that is now standard on all pcgs slabs.?

    https://www.pcgs.com/goldshield

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Watchtower said:
    Can I ask what the gold shield indicates?
    Seems like a good time to ask.

    PCGS Gold Shield, which includes TrueView at no extra cost.

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 2:28PM

    @lilolme said:

    While this pcgs page indicates it includes the NFC, I believe that is now standard on all pcgs slabs.?

    https://www.pcgs.com/goldshield

    Yes, since OCT-2020.

    Reference: https://www.pcgs.com/security

    Edited to Add:
    NFC was originally introduced for GS holders in early 2020. It was then expanded to all holders in OCT-2020.
    Article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/groundbreaking-nfc-technology-included-in-all-holders

  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've been dragging my feet on the next order but am now ready so I'm glad I checked in - Thanks for the info and I'll come back if any problems when selecting Modern and then TV. Now, if that price is higher than $38 I'll just run Regular w/gold..

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fast running out of time to get stuff submitted for the June 30 registry deadline.

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 2:53PM

    @Coinscratch said:
    I've been dragging my feet on the next order but am now ready so I'm glad I checked in - Thanks for the info and I'll come back if any problems when selecting Modern and then TV. Now, if that price is higher than $38 I'll just run Regular w/gold..

    Service Group = "Gold Shield", which includes TV at no extra cost

    Modern Service Level = $30 Grading Fee + $5 "Gold Shield" Upcharge = $35 per coin

  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MetroD said:

    @Coinscratch said:
    I've been dragging my feet on the next order but am now ready so I'm glad I checked in - Thanks for the info and I'll come back if any problems when selecting Modern and then TV. Now, if that price is higher than $38 I'll just run Regular w/gold..

    Service Group = "Gold Shield", which includes TV at no extra cost

    Modern Service Level = $30 Grading Fee + $5 "Gold Shield" Upcharge = $35 per coin

    I drove myself mad trying to figure out how/why I could not get true-view on a submission. I firckin gave up on the web form and just printed it and filled it in by hand. Thank you for the info.

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I saw the CDN NGC and PCGS discussion. I didn't see much about turn-around times.

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Coinscratch said:

    @lilolme said:

    @Coinscratch said:
    Should I be using Modern instead of regular (20 days vs. 50)? I'm only sending in moderns from the sixties and up.
    And does Gold shield mix with that? I Like to TV everything I send in.

    Just what lermish stated. Here is the submission form. In section 3 select gold shield. The moderns are like the Economy and do not come with gold shield as seen in section 6 with the little gold shield not being shown by them.

    I never use the form I just do it from the website but you’re telling me that all this time I could’ve had my coins back in half the time? And so does this mean it will be True View but not with a gold shield emblem?

    you need to do service group (3) Gold Shield with your moderns to get Gold Shield which comes with TruView. Many of the more expensive levels come with Gold Shield.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Judging by the lines of submitters at Winter FUN last week, I'm guessing they just received a new deluge of coins that may add further to the turnaround times. But it is what it is....when you want the best, like most of us do, it's going to take awhile.

    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Walkerguy21D said:
    Judging by the lines of submitters at Winter FUN last week, I'm guessing they just received a new deluge of coins that may add further to the turnaround times. But it is what it is....when you want the best, like most of us do, it's going to take awhile.

    And that is what sort of makes me think twice about attending the New York show (Jan. 12th through 14th) and submit since there is no onsite grading.
    Judging by the trend, probably have a wait time till May/June to hear back I guess. :s

  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm waiting for CACG, that would be quicker than submitting now to PCGS. I ate 4 vouchers in 2022 given what is going on, re-upped with no vouchers this year, got smart (LOL).

    Best, SH


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lilolme said:
    I have not heard of delays in the walkthroughs. As for the others it will depend on what submission level and then if you are about average or long or short of average. Here are the averages - As noted: business days after being logged in and does not count shipping.

    .
    Just looked, most of the NGC comparable services have turnaround times of about 1/2-ish of this. World coins abit longer than 1/2 - looks like they are swamped in World coins, not surprising. But their Ancients service, where they are the leading TPG for this, is apparently even slower (80 days!) for Standard or Regular. They must not have enough graders for this part of the grading market.


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well I am on day 3 of a walkthrough which is a problem since I am leaving on Saturday for 10 days. I called at 7 AM PST to tell them to just hold shipment until next week. No response. This is an 1868 cross over CAC MS62 $20 gold. I kinda don't want it sitting in the local PO for 10 days.

  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My Economy submission of 10-3-2022 today moved from grading to encapsulation. This is good news.

  • Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

    I had 6 submissions received by our hosts on 12/8/22. A modern value order with 13 ASE was received back 12/29. A gold shield re-holder submission was received back on 1/9/23. My other 4 subs are still in grading, this includes modern value with non ASE, Modern Value World Coins, Regular, And Mint Error submissions.

  • Options

    I sent a gold Liberty Double Eagle to PCGS via Registered Mail on December 23. I received the coin this morning, January 13. And the TrueView photos posted a couple of days ago.

  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My economy submission moved from encapsulation to quality assurance in 24 hours.

    Maybe the 45 coin order will ship back to me next week.

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I received email notices yesterday that both my economy and regular submissions dropped off at FUN last Friday are now received and in the pipeline. Not holding my breath, I’m assuming April timeframe. I don’t care how long it takes as long as they all get straight grades-fingers crossed!

    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file