Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Morgan MS 65PL -- a NEWP -- Would it earn a CAC sticker?--> CAC RESULT POSTED

AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 10, 2023 9:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This 1921 Morgan graded at MS65PL, and is a new purchase for me. I am curious to know your thoughts about this coin— pros and cons. PCGS lists three coins that exist with higher grades from the MS 65PL category. Based on these images, do you think the coin would earn a CAC sticker? Thanks for taking a look / sharing comments....

--> The coin has been sent to CAC, and I have the result. I will post the result after 48 hours......

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos make it look like it has been dipped to death.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be tough to assess from the photographs, since CAC not only has to approve of the 65 grade, but also endorse the PL designation and the reflectivity is tough to show in a photo. The things that would work against you are the nose hit and the hit in the reverse left field, but I don't know if they would preclude a 65 for CAC. Either way, its a very nice coin!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet your Morgan is lovely in hand.
    PL 1921s are super scarce, and to get one in a GEM grade must be a sight to behold.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

PL is super cool to have / cac unlikely to sticker a 64 common date imo - just my opinion. Worth a try if important to you

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 364 ✭✭✭

I think CAC sticker is unlikely; mark on top of nose and on reverse left of eagle; lustre seems weak, possibly due to photo ?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dhikewhitney said:
    I think CAC sticker is unlikely; mark on top of nose and on reverse left of eagle; lustre seems weak, possibly due to photo ?

I can’t tell whether the luster and mirrors are adequate, but I don’t think either of those marks would prevent the coin from receiving a sticker. The one to the right of Liberty’s mouth is more significant to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think yes just because it is a PL and I don’t see too many distracting marks in the fields.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I do not think it will.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2023 5:57PM

@Che_Grapes said:
    PL is super cool to have / cac unlikely to sticker a 64 common date imo - just my opinion. Worth a try if important to you

1) that’s a 65
    2) a 65PL 1921 is not at all common. It is a pop 18/3 worth about $2K at least. A CAC sticker makes that closer to $3K
    3) they sticker plenty of common dates and I don’t think they are any more or less strict than on better dates.

I would imagine it’s already been tried but I think it looks like a solid 65. It’s hard to confidently judge the mirrors though. Good luck!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Morgan! 👍

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I believe it will CAC

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has a good chance.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is likely to receive CAC approval IMO... I say likely, based on the pictures, which do not allow for evaluation of luster or reflectivity - significant elements for CAC approval. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dhikewhitney said:

I can’t tell whether the luster and mirrors are adequate, but I don’t think either of those marks would prevent the coin from receiving a sticker. The one to the right of Liberty’s mouth is more significant to me.

Thinking that might be as struck. Nevertheless, it affects eye appeal. Agree about not being able to call the PL-ness from here.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 8:10AM

One way to find out...send it in.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would be good to see additional photos of the coin at different angles. A Trueview might show off the PL surfaces better.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen this coin in person, and it does have pretty nice mirrors, very very unusual for a 1921!

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I have seen this coin in person, and it does have pretty nice mirrors, very very unusual for a 1921!

Several images of this coin at different light angles would be so helpful to appreciate the mirror-like surface for sure...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the sticker! Attractive 1921 Morgans are hard to come by, and PLs are definitely tough coins. I know one person who seems to be collecting 1921 PLs by VAM number. He has quite a few and these very early die stages make studying the dies much easier. Unlike some of the earlier dates, there are no 1921s that show that the dies were repolished to PL.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm dangerously attracted 1921-Ps in PL. But then, I'm dangerously attracted to 1921-Ps in general. I have 11 PLs (10 are PCGS), but the collector messydesk refers to has me beat easily). The TPGs have different ideas about what is and isn't PL for 1921s, so I stay away from non-PCGS coins. PLs are wonderful for examining scribbles in their earliest and most detailed state – which is usually all there is to identify the VAM, since pickup points on later die state specimens have rarely happened yet.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job. OK I'm sending my '21 in.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lotta Cheek there avocet. One beautiful Morgan, glad you received the CAC sticker.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@dhikewhitney said:

Everyone is acting like this is a 68. I don't think the 65 is in question.

• Options

65 or 68 doesn't matter to me that is one gorgeous coin and I would love to have that for my type set. I have one with a PL reverse but I don't think the obverse would make the team.
    I love it, your lucky to have it.
    Congratulations!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting looking coin but the photography would be more informative if it had a tilting version to view the mirrors on the surface of the coin?

Heritage seems to offer a tilting view of some of their auctioned lots and it does seem to clarify the mirrors.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof like surfaces do highlight bag marks much more than satin surfaces which makes viewing photos difficult to ascertain the grade.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Avocet said:
    Thanks to everyone for taking a look at this Morgan. Here is a follow-up image of the coin with the CAC result. I noticed that the text at the bottom of my OP was easy to miss— this coin has already been submitted to CAC and passed (the post was meant to be a bit of CAC GTG).

I am excited to have this coin, and the mirror-like finish is best appreciated with inspection at different light angles. A video like those you see at Heritage from time to time could be helpful. Several great comments touched on that point.

I took this picture last night using two diffused light sources and a 100mm macro lens—

Good show! Congratulations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file