Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this worth grading?

I'm new to coin collecting and found a 1980 lincoln d penny coin that has some unique features but don't know if it is worth much.

Any thoughts?

Comments

  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Severe post mint damage- PMD.
    Not worth grading and in fact, only worth one cent.
    Sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news.
    Welcome to the forum though!

    Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yikes. Why would you even think that was worth anything?

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If being run over by a dumptruck is unique then yes your coin is unique. However unique does not = valuable all the time.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not bad but that fingerprint will keep the grade on the low side.

  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It won't cac either.

  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Is this a joke?

  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

    no

    waste of time, effort and cash

  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I say submit it. You could consider it the beginning of your education.

    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think we're being punked.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

    PMD

  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Obvious troll, unless OP is a foreigner and has never seen a Lincoln cent before

  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Obvious troll, unless OP is a foreigner and has never seen a Lincoln cent before

    Or his name is RobertLahti.

  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You guys don't seem to realise what's happening over on the social media platforms. There are echo chamber coin groups on Facebook etc where anybody who posts a battered, corroded coin gets praised and told they've got a weird rare error coin.

    Coming out of those groups is not entirely unlike coming out of a cult. There is much for them to unlearn.

    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

    Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

    @Sapyx said:
    You guys don't seem to realise what's happening over on the social media platforms. There are echo chamber coin groups on Facebook etc where anybody who posts a battered, corroded coin gets praised and told they've got a weird rare error coin.

    Coming out of those groups is not entirely unlike coming out of a cult. There is much for them to unlearn.

    Yep, I briefly spent some time there. If you have the audacity to explain that the coin is damaged you are called a hater, a liar, a con artist, etc.

  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    How hard would it be to go to Google or ebay to look at slabbed coins similar in year and discover for yourself if it's worth grading? How hard is it to know when a coin is trashed and has no collectible value? I view these people as bored idiots who's only interest in numismatics is to make an ass of themselves by putting on a clown show. JMHO. :)

    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

    "A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2023 3:20AM

    @1Mike1 said:
    How hard would it be to go to Google or ebay to look at slabbed coins similar in year and discover for yourself if it's worth grading? How hard is it to know when a coin is trashed and has no collectible value? I view these people as bored idiots who's only interest in numismatics is to make an ass of themselves by putting on a clown show. JMHO. :)

    Understandably, many non-collectors don’t know what “slabbed coins” are.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @1Mike1 said:
    How hard would it be to go to Google or ebay to look at slabbed coins similar in year and discover for yourself if it's worth grading? How hard is it to know when a coin is trashed and has no collectible value? I view these people as bored idiots who's only interest in numismatics is to make an ass of themselves by putting on a clown show. JMHO. :)

    Understandably, many people don’t know what “slabbed coins” are.

    I just now "used the Google" and asked, what is a slabbed coin. The results are below. If they put in a fraction of the effort to gather information rather than making these worthless posts, then I'd be more convinced that they truly want to know about coins and their value.

    Slabbed coins are coins that are preserved in clear, plastic containers and include the grade confirming the coin's authenticity and condition, as determined by the service. Slabbed coins are highly prized by collectors and can be extremely valuable.

    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

    "A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @1Mike1 said:

    @MFeld said:

    @1Mike1 said:
    How hard would it be to go to Google or ebay to look at slabbed coins similar in year and discover for yourself if it's worth grading? How hard is it to know when a coin is trashed and has no collectible value? I view these people as bored idiots who's only interest in numismatics is to make an ass of themselves by putting on a clown show. JMHO. :)

    Understandably, many people don’t know what “slabbed coins” are.

    I just now "used the Google" and asked, what is a slabbed coin. The results are below. If they put in a fraction of the effort to gather information rather than making these worthless posts, then I'd be more convinced that they truly want to know about coins and their value.

    Slabbed coins are coins that are preserved in clear, plastic containers and include the grade confirming the coin's authenticity and condition, as determined by the service. Slabbed coins are highly prized by collectors and can be extremely valuable.

    Someone unfamiliar with "slabbed coins" has no reason to do a search for them in the first place.

    I'm not saying that the poster couldn't have done research and learned about the coin or that I know he/she isn't a troll. However, even for novices who do search the internet to learn about coins, there's a great deal of highly misleading "information". In many cases, that includes videos and the posting of absurd for-sale asking prices, that can easily lead beginners to think their pocket change is extremely valuable.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

    @chenvictor8 said:
    I'm new to coin collecting and found a 1980 lincoln d penny coin that has some unique features but don't know if it is worth much.

    I'm going to go with no.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @chenvictor8 .... Welcome aboard. Your cent has severe damage... Likely spent time on the ground in a parking lot. There is no numismatic premium.. It is just one cent. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file