Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan spot removal

justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts on PCGS restoration being able to remove the spot?

Would like to keep it in the set. Not concerned about the cost of restoration if there is a chance it would improve the coins eye appeal. I plan on keeping it either way.

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

If PCGS considers this toning they will not remove it. I would suggest you attend a show with a PCGS booth and ask in person. Is it a rare date? Not cheap to do.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

91 CC PL MS 63. Not 'rare' but not one in PL that comes up often from what I see.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

But its in an NGC slab. They do conservation as well.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@gumby1234 It's the last NGC coin slab I have for Morgans. The Morgan set for me is all in PCGS. So, considering crack out and send in for restoration. If not, restoration crack out and send in for PCGS to slab. One of the two options.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is baked into the surface. Could they remove it?.. I doubt it. It might be able to be preserved in some way so it doesn't got worse.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. It looks like a toning spot. Appears to have some of the same color at the rim also. They won't restore a coin to remove toning. So maybe just go for the crossover.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Got it. That's helpful. @OAKSTAR @gumby1234

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a spot from a Mylar tear back when the coin was in a 2x2. I don't think it'll come off without leaving a scar, but it would be somewhat inconspicuous.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the part of the restoration service guidelines that apply to your coin is the spots. Below are the guidelines. Note, that pcgs will do the restoration submitted in the ngc holder as long as you sign off on them cracking it out. However, it could still come back details graded as they only guarantee ones submitted in pcgs holders.

I think your spot is active and will continue to grow but could be very slowly. In the past my experience is that the rust colored part of the spot can be removed. The darker / black part might get lighter some but will be there. Note, how pcgs indicates not stripping the coin and therefore not all of the spot (darker) will be removed if they decide to do it. If you have other stuff on the surface then that may also be removed and might give the PL fields more flash. However, I had one spot removed and it had a light ring where the spot was but I still thought that was a big improvement.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

@messydesk interesting to know the possible cause.
    @lilolme thanks for the clarification. I did read the spots part but didn't understand the analysis due to lack of experience. It would be bad for the coin to end up in a details holder. That makes me rethink the process altogether.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file