Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

WaterSports FUN show report

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2023 9:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was very much looking forward to attending FUN as I had not been in 4 years. My transportation was different this time as I had built a camper van during Covid and in the last 2 years have driven it back and forth across the country putting over 50,000 miles on the odometer. Being that its winter in Florida camping sites are a bit hard to find so I had to bounce around to different campgrounds as none had a 3 day straight opening. I arrived about 40 miles south of Orlando at Moss Park on the 4th and enjoyed the 80+ degree weather. But on the morning of the 5th I had to drive north of Orlando up to Magnolia Campground and register in order to obtain the gate pass code as I knew I would not be back from the show before 6 pm when the gate was closed.

Once checked in I turned back towards the Convention center 20 miles away arriving around 11 and after getting my name tag walked into the show looking for a forum member at the LCR site. Like others I started at isle 100 and walked the floor looking for Lincoln cents and 3 cent nickels that my son collects. I will say that those nickels are very scarce and I did not see many at all. I did get a photo of one for him to consider but that was it on the 3-cent search. But on the other hand, I did buy 3 cents. First up a MS 66 R&B 1944 D DDO. I have a 64 Red example and this was an upgrade. I think most of us look the floor over before buying our first coin but when I asked to see the coin the dealer had a $170 sticker on the reverse. I knew that was NOT right and asked his price. He confirmed he said he could not go lower. I said sold and after walking away confirmed on my phone it was a pop 2 coin with no previous sales but a 65 R&B sold for over $500. So yeah, a nice affordable upgrade.

Walking along I met my friend and we had a nice chat and agreed to continue shopping and meet up for lunch at 1. I did come to the JJ Teaparty table and there was a 64 Brown 1925 S in a PCGS old green holder So I asked to see it and it was and EDS unattributed 1925 S DDO. This would have been a perfect cherrypick and later flip but their asking price of $600 left very little profit for me to bother with so I eagerly passed. After having a not-so-bad BBQ sandwich lunch with my friend Cliff we parted to continue our search gawking into cases when I saw PCGS 1917 65 R&B. What caught my attention was a bit of toning and when I asked to see it the price was $155. Not sure, I passed and walked up to another table with yet another PCGS 1925 S Brn. A quick look confirmed it was 1 of the 3 RPMs. All which I have in MS, but this was a darn nice-looking cent for 63 and I knew my RPM 1 had a bit of corrosion on the reverse and this one did not so I got the price of $290 and had to walk way to do some quick research for die markers to confirm it was RPM 1. I then hurried back with cash pulled from my pocket and closed the deal happy to cherrypick a lovely coin and one I may even send in for grade consideration.

Looking at the time it was approaching 4 pm – time for the PCGS Cocktail Party. But as I exited the building I thought I would check on that 1917 again after seeing the BV was over $250. It was still there so I bought it at the $155 price and think it’s a lovely cent and happy with the purchase.

While checking in with the Cocktail Party I got the commemorative coin and then got a glass of wine and sat at a table and introduced myself to none other than the now more famous Bill Jones. Truly a gentleman and scholar. After about an hour later the PCGS President approached the podium to give us a welcome and said she would be walking around if anyone had any questions.

Being exhausted and with coins in my pocket I opted to leave and try and beat the Orlando traffic and hurry back to my quiet campsite and enjoy the warm evening around the campfire. My only other observation is that there were definitely more Civil War Tokens in slabs than I had ever seen.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious if most or all those 25S RPM have what looks like a die crack near Abe's hairline?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect Lincolns but I enjoyed your report. I too would have liked to meet Bill but I skipped the reception since I got to the bourse so late.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick-ups! congrats.

Tom

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    Curious if most or all those 25S RPM have what looks like a die crack near Abe's hairline?

It is a die Marker for RPM 1. Reverse Die cracks are found on RPM 2 & 3. But the real marker for RPM 1 is the bump under the L in Liberty.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! 👍

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate your discerning eye, nice purchases. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report. I was totally unaware of those varieties.
    And I agree, I saw quite a few certified cwt’s and was surprised by that.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. I always enjoy reading about collectors cherrypicking scarce varieties.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport .... Thank you for an interesting report.... and you got some nice coins. Looks like a nice camping spot.... I have van camped in Florida while I lived there... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file