Home Sports Talk
Options

Frogs vs Dawgs

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who ya got?

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frogs are local to me in Fort Worth. But I'm rooting for the Dawgs. I know my friend @Hallco is a big Georgia fan, so I'd be happy for him if they win.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

TCU without question

And I actually think they can win

• Options

I'm not really rooting for anyone, I just hope it's a slugfest!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Frogs are local to me in Fort Worth. But I'm rooting for the Dawgs. I know my friend @Hallco is a big Georgia fan, so I'd be happy for him if they win.

You're a Texan now, you need to support the Cowboys, we were 2015 World Champions.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alum-Dawg says WOOF!!!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go dawgs!

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia. It won't be close.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frogs got Mo-mentum, hopin' for the upset.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Texas Christian

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

TCU

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two months ago on the college football thread I said everyone else was playing for second place and the season was basically over.

Georgia will bend but won’t break.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live about 40 miles from Athens and the UGA campus. Needless to say, 99.999% of folks here are Dawg fans, dyed in the wool Dawg fans. Can't blame them, it's their moment to shine and enjoy.

Georgia got to where they are by a missed field goal with no time left in the OSU game when the OSU kicker shanked a 50 yeard attempt. Had he made the kick, you'd watch OSU vs TCU tonight. Pretty lucky for Dawgs fans, and a crusher for OSU.

I think TCU is the better team and will win in a tight game.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think this is a trap game for gamblers and non-gamblers alike. a cinderella story in TCU. Georgia narrowly escaped OSU.
    but the gap is talent is real. i expect a valiant effort by the Frogs, but for how long is the question.

i say there's a better chance of Georgia covering the 13 than TCU winning the game

• Options

GO DAWGS!!!!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i think this is a trap game for gamblers and non-gamblers alike. a cinderella story in TCU. Georgia narrowly escaped OSU.
    but the gap is talent is real. i expect a valiant effort by the Frogs, but for how long is the question.

i say there's a better chance of Georgia covering the 13 than TCU winning the game

Partway through the first quarter this looks right, but time will tell.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well by now most people have turned off ESPN :D:D:D and go watch something interesting - B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Well by now most people have turned off ESPN :D:D:D and go watch something interesting - B)

I'm still watching. My stream has Canadian commercials, so that's keeping me glued to the screen.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Steven59 said:

I'm still watching. My stream has Canadian commercials, so that's keeping me glued to the screen.

Boston Pizza!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible game - TCU playing like the Washington Generals

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Steven59 said:

Boston Pizza!

I had never heard of it, and told me wife about it at halftime. lol.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

One comment.

Michigan should have been there if they had played up to their potential. But they played poorly, the coaches were worse with trick plays early and the officials sealed the deal. Still Michigan would be losing by less.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Steven59 said:

Boston Pizza!

I had never heard of it, and told me wife about it at halftime. lol.

I watch the Habs on Center Ice and see all those Canadien commercials for their home games. Boston Pizza looks like something I'd love to have in my neck of the woods!

• Options

It’s 65 to 7. We need the mercy rule.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    One comment.

Michigan would be losing by less.

That could be true.

And Michigan could have lost 77-3.
    That could be true too.

But we’ll never know because Michigan never showed up.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@BillJones said:
    One comment.

That could be true.

That could be true too.

Which of the four playoff teams had the benefit of playing in their own backyard?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 6:57AM

@coolstanley said:

@Goldenage said:

@BillJones said:
    One comment.

That could be true.

That could be true too.

Which of the four playoff teams had the benefit of playing in their own backyard?

How did Ohio state do this year in their backyard against Michigan ?

Ohio State lost AT HOME.

Neither of the four SEC teams won AT HOME.

U$C played bowl games AT HOME.
    Miami, Fla did also.

No SEC team ever has.

• Options

Bama best Texas at UT.

UT beat KSU at KSU.

Plenty of other examples I don’t have time for.

Try another excuse instead. Thank you

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got side tracked and missed the game... something to be thankful for after looking at the outcome.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 7:31AM

Some game that turned out to be, I spent the night watching episodes of Green Acres.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 8:02AM

I zonked during the 2nd and 3rd, woke up in the 4th and apparently hit the final on the bar $10 squares board for 400, zing. Not bad for a quick $20 throw in yesterday. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    TCU without question

And I actually think they can win

Wow was I wrong lol

• Options

@Brick said:
    Georgia. It won't be close.

Brick is one of the best knowledgeable posters we have in the college football thread.

Many others are not at his level
    of understanding.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 8:52AM

@coolstanley said:
    Texas Christian

The team that beat. Michigan!

College football for 500 please !

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@BillJones said:
    One comment.

That could be true.

That could be true too.

Let's see ...

Michigan ran Ohio State out of the stadium in the second half of their game.

Ohio State almost beat Georgia

TCU ripped Michigan. Michigan made it look better with some last minute scoring.

Georgia destroyed TCU.

I guess that makes Georgia the best, but it's hard to judge the rest given game to game performances.

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 11:14AM

@BillJones said:

@Goldenage said:

@BillJones said:
    One comment.

That could be true.

That could be true too.

Let's see ...

Michigan ran Ohio State out of the stadium in the second half of their game.

Ohio State almost beat Georgia

TCU ripped Michigan. Michigan made it look better with some last minute scoring.

Georgia destroyed TCU.

I guess that makes Georgia the best, but it's hard to judge the rest given game to game performances.

Making hypothetical statements about what could have happened is silly.

TCU made it to the final.
    Michigan didn’t.

You tried to exalt Michigan over TCU with your statement.

TCU beat Michigan. Michigan has nothing to say about the final.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I got side tracked and missed the game... something to be thankful for after looking at the outcome.

I wish I would have gotten sidetracked and missed this thread.
    It’s much like the college football thread, just a lot of bickering.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Darin said:

@coinkat said:

I wish I would have gotten sidetracked and missed this thread.
    It’s much like the college football thread, just a lot of bickering.

Lol. This stuff cracks me up.

When people say this stuff they are the ones bickering about what they don’t like to see in a thread.

I love this place.
    There ain’t anyplace better in the world.

• Options

I said, "TCU ripped Michigan. Michigan made it look better with some last minute scoring," but I guess that's not good enough for you. Michigan played poorly and did not deserve to be in the final game.

I'll admit that I have some affinity for Michigan for a strange reason. I graduated from the University of Delaware. Dave Nelson played at Michigan and ultimately became the U of D athletic director and head football coach. He built the program and compiled a record of 84-42-2. He developed the wing T offense. He also copied the Michigan football helmet design on the University of Delaware helmets. So of all of the mid-west teams, Michigan is the only one that that gets my loyalty.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    It’s 65 to 7. We need the mercy rule.

Hey it now looks Oregon for their first game with a new system and a new coach at 3-49 against Georgia, wasn't so bad after all............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Goldenage said:

When people say this stuff they are the ones bickering about what they don’t like to see in a thread.

What is the saying in the Bible? 'Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone'. So you are saying you are not guilty of this and hence can start throwing?

Best, SH

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Michigan didn’t.

Seems like you are 'bickering'.......................

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    [You tried to exalt Michigan over TCU with your statement.]

OH NO - Freedom of Speech, how dare you.........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

As I've said, I kind of checked out on college football (and college basketball) sometime in the late 90s. The basketball thing was most likely because of the changes to teams. There were no longer star players sticking around for years it seemed. I also got married and had my first kid in 2000, and I remember making a conscious choice to just go with NFL, which was my favorite. Sometimes I worked a second job on Saturdays, and when I didn't, I chose family over football. I actually remember thinking about that. It seems so long ago. My wife is from a different country, and had never been acclimated into the American sports weekend watching culture. I chose Sundays, and made that a thing. College football faded away for me. I know that it is often more fun, innovative, etc. Still, I watch little.

Nonetheless, I have occasionally peaked into the college football threads here at Sports Talk and been impressed with the subtle nuances and fervor that only college sports, and in particular college football, can add to any sports conversation. I decided last night to watch the game, and I am happy that I did. I didn't know any of the players names or faces, so I watched innocently, not knowing who was supposed to be the best players or the worst. It was a lot of fun. I watched all the way through to the end of the 3rd quarter, buoyed by the Canadian commercials that I referenced earlier. I didn't really turn it off because of the score. I don't have ESPN, or any other channel that one must pay for, so I stream games on my Chromebook. As the 4th quarter approached, my battery was almost dead. I took that as a sign that I had watched enough.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2023 1:38AM

@spacehayduke said:

@Goldenage said:

What is the saying in the Bible? 'Let he who is without guilt cast the first stone'. So you are saying you are not guilty of this and hence can start throwing?

Best, SH

Laughing at something is a lot different then throwing a stone at someone to kill them.

Stoning was a way to kill people for their actions.

Laughing at human behavior is very far from killing people for their behavior.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@Goldenage said:

Michigan didn’t.

Seems like you are 'bickering'.......................

TCU got humiliated.

No need to pile on the poor guys.

• Options
    edited January 11, 2023 6:28AM

😎

• Options
    edited January 11, 2023 2:20AM

@BillJones said:

I'll admit that I have some affinity for Michigan for a strange reason. I graduated from the University of Delaware. Dave Nelson played at Michigan and ultimately became the U of D athletic director and head football coach. He built the program and compiled a record of 84-42-2. He developed the wing T offense. He also copied the Michigan football helmet design on the University of Delaware helmets. So of all of the mid-west teams, Michigan is the only one that that gets my loyalty.

I’ll let this die because you’re a good guy here, but answer this.

If Georgia beat Michigan badly in the final, would you have come on here and said TCU would have given Georgia a better game ?

Sorry Bill.
    I was rooting for Georgia but felt really bad for TCU.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luckily the wife and I were finishing a movie when the game started. I turned it on at 24-7 and Georgia passed for a first down at the 8. I flipped on Ancient Aliens figuring that was more believable that a TCU comeback.
    Let’s face facts. The SEC will be the dominant factor in college football for an extended time. Not sure how many Nattys in the past 10 years between Clemson, Alabama and Georgia but it’s a bunch with one here and there for LSU and an outsider.
    I just looked. 13 since 2007. Ugh

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.