Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Share your vintage baseball board (and Arcade) games

fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2023 9:48AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This is my only baseball board game so I guess it’s my favorite…1910 Kellogg’s full box along with a cut/flat box. I know a few of you must collect them, so let’s see some! Looking forward to some cool board/box graphics from back in the day.

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paging @Stone193 !

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

You beat me to it Dan. lol I was going to say that this thread is like a bat signal for Mike.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 9:02PM

I played Strat-O-Matic baseball and football in the 1960s…

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my only baseball board game so I guess it’s my favorite…1910 Kellogg’s full box along with a cut/flat box

Wow that's quite a game and hard to find in the original box!

Thanx for sharing. Sorry - don't know your first name?

Mike
  • Options

Hey there Mike, my name is Forrest…that is one incredible image on that game box! I see the box is made of wood…can you share some pics of the inside?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Nice game…it almost looks travel sized…looks like it’s from the 40’s-50’s?

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought of Mike too!

That Kellogg's box is awesome!

Shane

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fmclaug11 said:
    Nice game…it almost looks travel sized…looks like it’s from the 40’s-50’s?

You might know more than me on this one...I really don't know to much about it... :)

• Options

Hiya Forrest

Here's the inside - there's also a "generic" version of the game where the outside cover only has the name of the game.

Mike
  • Options

National League Base Ball Game - c. 1890 - Yankee Novelty Co. - Chicago

Mike
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2023 6:44PM

The National - American Baseball Game - c1910s - Parker Brothers

Very popular with card collectors with Nap Lajoie on the backs of the play cards. Game comes in red and blue tint - the red being the more rare I believe. Total set 50 "play" cards.

Mike
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Hi guys - thanx for summoning me.

I've been collecting baseball board games since 2004.

I could post for days.

So, instead. Let me post the flagship of my fleet.

Major League "Indoor" Base Ball - c1913 - Philadelphia Game Company

There's 16 players on the cover - 11 are HOF'ers including Honus Wagner - the photo is from Carl Horner - used in the T206 Wagner card.

Every top Hall of Famer is here--Baker, Cobb, Lajoie, Walsh, Speaker, Chase, Johnson, Wallace, Mathewson, Chance, Bresnahan...

Chase is not a HoFer. By the numbers he's not close to being one. By reputation he had great ability. IMO he gets no credit for being better than the games he was throwing, if that makes sense.

Can you give the complete checklist?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card is from a board game called Challenge the Yankees:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited January 8, 2023 12:50PM

@daltex said:

@Stone193 said:
    Hi guys - thanx for summoning me.

I've been collecting baseball board games since 2004.

I could post for days.

So, instead. Let me post the flagship of my fleet.

Major League "Indoor" Base Ball - c1913 - Philadelphia Game Company

There's 16 players on the cover - 11 are HOF'ers including Honus Wagner - the photo is from Carl Horner - used in the T206 Wagner card.

Every top Hall of Famer is here--Baker, Cobb, Lajoie, Walsh, Speaker, Chase, Johnson, Wallace, Mathewson, Chance, Bresnahan...

Chase is not a HoFer. By the numbers he's not close to being one. By reputation he had great ability. IMO he gets no credit for being better than the games he was throwing, if that makes sense.

Can you give the complete checklist?

Hiya Alex

That was a "misquote" by me. Thanx for catching it. He's obviously not one of the 11.

Here's the list: *HOF

Frank Baker*
    Ty Cobb*
    Nap Lajoie*
    Ed Walsch*
    Tris Speaker*
    Hal Chase
    Walter Johnson*
    Bobby Wallace*
    Christy Mathewson*
    Frank Chance*
    Honus Wagner*
    Red Dooin
    Roger Bresnahan*
    Bob Besher
    Nap Rucker
    Johnny Kling

Mike
  • Options

That's a super game Tim. Don't have it - never able to find at a price I would want to afford.

The ML BB game was pure luck that I found it on eBay at the right time at a price I could live with.

Mike
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

That's a super game Tim. Don't have it - never able to find at a price I would want to afford.

The ML BB game was pure luck that I found it on eBay at the right time at a price I could live with.

Thanks, Mike! I think that’s the 1964 version of Mickey, there’s a 1965 version, too. I’m not sure much changed besides a little line of stats.

I also have this premium photo from 1957 Gardner’s Big League Baseball featuring Mickey Mantle:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I also have this premium photo from 1957 Gardner’s Big League Baseball featuring Mickey Mantle:

I've got that one too.

Also, the game debuted in 1957 but I have seen stat cards up to 1959.

Mike
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I haven’t thought about this game in 20 years until I saw this post. I can’t remember the name or year of this game.

• Options

I haven’t thought about this game in 20 years until I saw this post. I can’t remember the name or year of this game.

Pretty much the way it's written - from IMO the best source of games on the web - the game is listed:

Tru*Action Electric Baseball Game - Tudor Metal Products Corp. - 1950s to 70s.

Was a very popular game and had a really good run from 50s to 70s.

Mike
  • Options

The Great America Game - Base Ball - Frantz Manufacturing Co. - 1923-4

This is not a very rare game - due to really good construction, many have survived in varying levels of condition and number of parts. I.e., the round wooden dots on the bottom are pawns for marking the bases and are either totally or partially missing.

What makes this one special?

Has the original box "and" cardboard display flap!

Mike
  • Options

I wanted to keep this thread going so I expanded the title to include baseball arcade games also

I've seen that one before Forrest - very nice buddy.

This is one of my favorites - what makes it rare is the fact that the "base" has survived.

And better yet? The "Banner" on top is usually broken off/missing.

And - of interest - some of the gum ball machines kind of double as a "skill" game for kids.

Mike
  • Options

Great vintage games Mike! Love that Bat a Ball game and those graphics…amazing survivor

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 Your collection must take up so much more space than ours!!

• Options

Thanx Forrest.

Your collection must take up so much more space than ours!!

Not sure how much space we're talking about Alex?

Yes it does take up some space - what helps is making a pedestal that can accompany 4 vending machines like this one. I'm fortunate to have the front office of our house and one bedroom vacated by our son.

Mike
  • Options

Like the Lajoie game, I'm trying to find games that would interest the "card" people.

The National Game - SS Game Co. - 1936 - 52 cards (no Ruth unfortunately; cards have been sold - TPG

Set's been shrink wrapped - small box - most likely a "travel" game as was the Lajoie game.

Autographs - The Leister Game Co. - 1945 - 52 cards - key BB - Ruth & DiMaggio - cards sold TPG also

Mike
  • Options

Another card game.

1968 Topps Game Inserts.

The 1968 Topps “Game” set consists of 33 cards, each one measuring about 2-1/4” x 3-1/4”. Topps issued the set as inserts and were meant for use as a card game.

Now. Years ago, I was surprised to find out that Topps also offered this as a stand alone "purchased" set/game?

I picked this one up years ago on eBay. The cards inside are quite "minty" but not centered well. Would not be surprised if some were "swapped" out?

Mike
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2023 12:09AM

I'm gonna focus on "player endorsed" games that I hope you'll enjoy seeing.

First.

Say Hey Willie Mays' Baseball Game

I have 2 versions of the game in green:

The board and a nice photo included in one of the games....

The photo's many times missing from the game and has been lost or sold separately....

and one in "red":

I'll be adding a Mantle game along with a "Big Train" game down the road....

Mike
  • Options

Highly sought after is the Johnson game.

Walter Johnson Base Ball Game - c1930-40

Often missing over the years is the mechanism of play - the "spinner" and the "coins" which are sold separately.

Mike
  • Options

Wow, that’s some awesome & rare stuff right there…never knew the topps game inserts came as a boxed set also…

• Options

Thanx Forrest.

Here's an especially popular one with the game collectors.

Mickey Mantle's Big League Baseball - c1957 - Gardner Toys & Game Co.

Included in the game and often missing is the photo pic of Mantle and the "Stat" sheet.

If you've noticed? Tim aka 1951WheatiesPremium has posted a copy of the Mantle photo in his collection. A mint copy might set ya back a hundred or 2?

Note that I've posted 2 different sheets which have update stats - so the earliest is 1956 for the '57 game and so on - I've seen stat cards that allude to a 1960 game (1959 stats) - so many believe the game was sold from 1957 to 1960 or so.

Thanx to everyone for taking a peak at some of my collection.

I know this is a very esoteric niche here. There is a game forum on the net but it gets very, very little love to be honest.

Mike