Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question re. FUN 2023

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 6, 2023 6:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It’s been 15 years since I attended a show. Is it still mostly cash on the floor, or can I get by with a debit card? I almost never use cash in my daily life anymore. I suppose I could go find an ATM before I set foot on the bourse, but I’m concerned about the security implications of carrying cash on my person.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last show I was at was the ANA WFOM in Chicago. I was helping behind a table as a dealer, so I didn't get to see as much action on the floor as I usually do. But, from what I saw as well as my experience as a behind the table, is
    that it is still mostly cash on the floor with the exception of checks from time to time from known dealers and past known customers. Other than that, I have never seen a single card transaction on the floor aside from coin supply from wizard.

Have fun at FUN :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some dealers will do CashApp, Venmo, Zelle, PayPal etc. A lot of cash is still done. Some will do checks. I'm at FUN for two days.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan .... Bring cash and a bodyguard.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that hat!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan for the Harry Bass sale if cash shy you could just sell a kidney ;):p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

ATM's only allow a certain dollar amount withdrawal per 24 hours.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2023 10:57AM

:D > @Tibor said:

ATM's only allow a certain dollar amount withdrawal per 24 hours.

A problem I just realized. Didn’t bring my checkbook to the show today. Will do it tomorrow.
    In the meantime, that ATM limit will help me stay sane and safe (from myself). :D

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Posting my live walkaround pix on CoinTalk, if anyone is interested.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/fun-show-orlando-2023.402155/

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw you Lord M but you were engaged in conversation with an ancients dealer so i didn't interupt.
    Then I lost track of you.
    I'd like to say hello if I see you tomorrow.
    -Mark

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

Cash is best but some dealers will take a check.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob, I think I’ve met Tom Wood, isn’t he from Charlotte?

• Options

I’ll take your check. B):p

• Options

@asheland said:

He’s from the piedmont area of NC, I know that much.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lord Marco - just went to your CT thread - great pics reminded me of my last days! Love the pic of ldhair, we hung out alot early in the show, last time I saw him was 11 pm on Thurs nite and he was still goin' strong.................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@lordmarcovan said:

@asheland said:

He’s from the piedmont area of NC, I know that much.

I’ve talked to him before, that’s him, he’s really cool. And I think Michael might know him too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gonzer .... No tarnish... Not on my sidearms.... always clean and very lightly lubed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

So glad to finally see meet you and say hello.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@sparky64 said:
    So glad to finally see meet you and say hello.

Likewise! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file