Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why is this black?!

BeattymomBeattymom Posts: 12
edited January 5, 2023 8:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum



It will NOT come off! Is there something special about it or am I insane?

Comments

  • hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2023 8:13PM

    You would do better spending the quarter and getting a new one from a dealer or eBay. This is a common date non precious metal quarter worth only 25 cents. What ever you do to “improve” it will leave you with a 25 cent coin worth 25 cents.

  • @hfjacinto said:
    You would do better spending the quarter and getting a new one from a dealer or eBay. This is a common date non precious metal quarter worth only 25 cents. What ever you do to “improve” it will leave you with a 25 cent coin worth 25 cents.

    Absolutely! I've just never seen anything like it before, so I'm a bit puzzled

  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like environmental damaged from having been buried in the ground and dug up.

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Beattymom said:

    @hfjacinto said:
    You would do better spending the quarter and getting a new one from a dealer or eBay. This is a common date non precious metal quarter worth only 25 cents. What ever you do to “improve” it will leave you with a 25 cent coin worth 25 cents.

    Absolutely! I've just never seen anything like it before, so I'm a bit puzzled

    It's just corroded. Try removing rust from your car.

  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's a warrior of commerce, just doing its job.

    That huge numbers of coins have been badly abused shouldn't be too much of a shock.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Corrosion residues, environmental damage... No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

  • @Broadstruck said:
    Looks like environmental damaged from having been buried in the ground and dug up.

    Having found numerous examples of these, I can confirm that this is not the case. Clad coins that were underground for an extended period of time almost always display a uniform clayey color (at least in my local soil). However, I have seen some with similar color to this one that were found on the surface.

    Young Numismatist

  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @hummingbird_coins said:

    @Broadstruck said:
    Looks like environmental damaged from having been buried in the ground and dug up.

    Having found numerous examples of these, I can confirm that this is not the case. Clad coins that were underground for an extended period of time almost always display a uniform clayey color (at least in my local soil). However, I have seen some with similar color to this one that were found on the surface.

    I seeded the whole backyard with $50.00 in JFK 50c and Ike $1's when my son was little for when Santa brought him a metal detector. Over a decade later still finding some and they mostly all look like the OP's quarter.

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

    spend it get a newer one

  • To be perfectly honest, I got a little obsessive after I couldn't rub it clean. So that guy has been hit with 3m ultra fine polish and felt pads on my Dremel. So whatever that is was either there from the get go or became fused with it and it kinda drove me nuts for a day 😬

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Beattymom said:
    To be perfectly honest, I got a little obsessive after I couldn't rub it clean. So that guy has been hit with 3m ultra fine polish and felt pads on my Dremel. So whatever that is was either there from the get go or became fused with it and it kinda drove me nuts for a day 😬

    Corrosion.

    How, exactly, would it be there "from the get go"?

    Errors are never oddities that you cannot explain. They are always oddities that you CAN explain.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file