Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A downside of rising prices.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems that for every positive thing that happens there is an inversely equal negative happening and it tends to hold true in our Hobby,

Beginning about 4-5 years ago I once again became interested in Classic Commemorative Half-Dollars as prices steadily slid lower and some really attractive coins became available at reasonable prices, coins graded MS64-66. Bright white coins didn't dominate the auction sites and dealer webpages, although they were still plentiful. I managed to buy several nice coins, designs I like with tone that wasn't over-the-top but pleasant to look at. I was finally able to own what I had only looked at but things didn't last very long. After a few years the number of nicely toned coins started to shrink. I can only believe others were doing what I was doing.

Eventually we arrived back where it seems the market for Commems always ends up, dominated by bright white coins and MS67-68 toned coins. I did some looking around this morning after several months of having given up and that's really all I saw. I swear, it seems like about 75% of all Commems ever struck are white, Heaven for @ricko I suppose, but not so for me. I'm left wondering how long it might be before the tide turns again and the pleasant toners show up.

Timing is everything, I guess. I'll pay attention and hope I can catch the turn.

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are already showing up. I’ve sold about $30k worth of high graded toned commems.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad we weren't fighting over this one back in 2018!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood .... There are some nice BW commems out there.... Perhaps you should buy a couple and put them in old albums for a couple of years... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Btw, go look at current Heritage auctions for MS68 booker T’s. I believe one is up to $14k already.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too look daily as I get eBay email updates each morning and feel on that site 90% is white and anything else has ho-hum toning. There have been some darker ones offered lately for strong asking prices which are terminally toned. I guess the prices will need to rise a bit more for nicer examples to reenter the market as with the lower levels they have remained in strong hands.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

Consecutive serial numbers. You just need to know where to look. I constantly sell on Instagram.

• Options

Consecutive serial #’s

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2023 12:21PM

I had to pay up for my favorite toned Commem when it showed up for auction in 2021. While blast white commems have struggled in the past, nicely toned examples have often seen a premium (even in down markets). I believe nicely toned commems will not see much of a decrease even if the blast white start falling significantly again (in large part due to the supply of them being fairly low vs untoned examples).

• Options

• Options

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

The upside is all the ones you own have gone up in value.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a forum member selling several nicely but not monster toned commems on the BST. Not my coins and I'm not involved with the sale but if you have not seen them maybe something there for you.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2023 8:30PM

68 CAC I sold.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Broadstruck mentioned, until prices rise or you find a buyer who will pay the premium for quality and color, the nicer coins are going to remain off the market

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came across this beautiful Lafayette in 65cac at the fun show. I really loved the patina with a subtle blue hue. The dealer that had it was a wholesaler out of Encino, CA. I collect gold and I couldn’t pull the trigger but the coin vas very appealing to me.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan, that one looks satiny smooth!! B)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were a few nice 64 and 65 commems listed a few days ago on eBay by a certain seller. I can PM you a link if you want to take a look. Most have a brownish original looking tone, but a one or two have some attractive rim tone.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 7, 2023 4:28PM

That Lafayette is one commemorative I have always wanted in BU. Seems to be a difficult one to locate. I am curious about his price.....

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    I came across this beautiful Lafayette in 65cac at the fun show. I really loved the patina with a subtle blue hue. The dealer that had it was a wholesaler out of Encino, CA. I collect gold and I couldn’t pull the trigger but the coin vas very appealing to me.

I think you honestly lucked out by not buying that coin. The “cigarette burn” style tone on the reverse is a tough selling point if you decided to ever let it go. A better example will come along.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file