Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Year As CCAC Chair

Eleven months ago, I appointed to serve a one-year term as Chair of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen.

In accordance with 31 U.S. Code § 5135, the 11- member CCAC is charged with (1) advising the Secretary of the Treasury on any theme or design proposals relating to circulating coinage, bullion coinage, Congressional Gold Medals, and national and other medals produced by the Secretary of the Treasury; (2) advising the Secretary of the Treasury with regard to the events, persons, or places to be commemorated by the issuance of commemorative coins in each of the five calendar years succeeding the year in which a commemorative coin designation is made; and (3) making recommendations with respect to the mintage level for any commemorative coin recommended.

Attached is a copy of 2022 fiscal year annual report of the CCAC. As stated in last paragraph of my message as Chair:

"This report continues the trend of circulating and commemorative coin designs recognizing a more diverse America as exemplified in the America Women Quarter program while continuing to embrace the beauty of classic design elements as reflected in the American Liberty High Relief coin. In other words, coin designs that we can be proud of will both be relevant to and representative of a diverse America while continuing to remind us of the legacy of classic designs."

For more information about the CCAC, please view: https://www.ccac.gov/

I am interested in seeking your questions and feedback on this report or the CCAC.

Lawrence Brown

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need some asian coinage too !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting!

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

I actually applied for a general public position to the committee back in August! Have not heard anything back though!

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments.

Regarding foreign or Asian coins, that is outside the purview of the CCAC.

Regarding the status of applications to join the CCAC, please follow-up with the person to whom you sent your application.

I look forward to comments and suggestions after you have digested the report.

Best regards

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was hoping there would be some word as to the design choice for the 2023 Gold Liberty.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options

If you mean the 2023 24K Gold Liberty, the CCAC made its recommendation of the design as indicated in Annual report attached to the first post.

Regards

• Options

@Casabrown said:
    If you mean the 2023 24K Gold Liberty, the CCAC made its recommendation of the design as indicated in Annual report attached to the first post.

Regards

I did see the design for the 24k gold in the report before I made my post. I might have to pick one up when it's released. Missed out on 2021's because the price spooked me.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2023 5:58AM

I think that the US Mint has a good thing going with making modern Morgan and Peace Dollars as a recurring product. The US Mint should also consider issuing 24k gold Indian Head $2.50, $5 and $10 coins as well as a 24k gold Saint Gaudens $20 with the original 1907-1933 design and using the original diameters of these coins. The US Mint already has the broad statutory authority to do this, the 100th anniversary of the ending of these series are coming in 2029 and 2033 and the US Mint can make a good rendition of these classic designs that can compete with the pre 1933 gold coin market. Think about it, counterfeits are VERY common in the original series', especially with the Indian Head $2.50 and $5 coins; prices on generic gold has risen and there's big price differences between CAC and non-CAC coin especially with Saints due to over grading (not withstanding the fact that there are many Saints that would technically be AU but are in MS holders). These are some of the nation's most beautiful coin designs and deserve to be enjoyed in a MS69 or MS70 version without having to worry that your coin is subpar because it doesn't have a CAC sticker. If the US Mint did this, customers would have the benefit of purchasing a raw classic gold coin that is guaranteed to be genuine, something that would be a very good thing given there are counterfeits of these classic gold coins that sometimes even fool the grading companies.

The US Mint can make good modern renditions of these coins, in fact, its my opinion that the 2016 Gold Walking Liberty Centennial coin is the most well struck rendition of the Walking Liberty Half Dollar you can find, none of the original 1916-1947 halves come close.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget about doing reproductions of past coin designs. Hire top artists/sculptors to create the designs of truly new circulating coins. Don't allow politicians to dictate designs or artists used.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM ... Thank you for the link to the annual report. I found it interesting reading the accounts describing the choices for some of the designs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko.

Wasn’t me!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM.... Ooops...mechanical error... Thanks for letting me know.
    @Casabrown... Thank you for the link to the annual report. I found it interesting reading the accounts describing the choices for some of the designs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Most of the designs were well done.

--AML-R-12. I watch a lot of Eagle and Peregrine live video and the position of the eagles feet look wrong and eagles rarely if ever fledge from a rock outcropping. Perhaps real life accuracy isn't much of a concern.
    --JI-R-08. Too plain and I don't like the lettering across her chest. No explanation was given as to its sloppy look.
    --Rosie the Riveteer. I understand the diversity tilt but the design was over done. One or two women with a rivet gun, rivet, muscles, and goggles would have been better IMO. Rockwell had a nice design.

Thanks for sharing the report and giving us a behind the scenes look.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better coin designs are needed for circulation coinage. Other countries coins put our designs to shame.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, I would like to thank you for your post and appreciate your position. I mean no harm in my post, but what exactly is the driving force behind the last 70 years of pop art style coins, with little or no original artistry as was in pre WWll coinage. Just my opinion, but am truly interested in the reason. It seems as post WWll most all of our coinage became so plain and much less talent required to produce the outcome. Do not intend on offending anyone, just would like to know why the change. I feel that with the end of the Buffalo Nickel, the Standing Liberty Quarter, the Walking Liberty Half and the Peace Dollar we ended artistry in our coinage. Even with the modern ASE's and one or two other artistic coins are merely copying and filling a need for past artistic work. Thank you for your time.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

If there was one past design to revive for whatever reason, I would like to see the $20 Liberty type 3.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring back classic designs to our circulating coinage. I imagine that it would bring in new collectors.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Bring back classic designs to our circulating coinage. I imagine that it would bring in new collectors.

Not yet please! I have not finished my sets yet! :D

• Options
    edited January 10, 2023 12:29PM

@oih82w8 said:

Yes to bringing back classic designs, but I think it should be for non circulating since that would be the most politically expedient. Nobody wants to take Washington, Lincoln or Sacagawea off of circulating coins and Democrats wouldn't want to take FDR or Kennedy off of a circulating design. The 20th century had the most beautiful coin designs but strikes were such a huge problem that it is hard to enjoy these works of art. Personally I'd have a series of Indian Head $2.50, $5, $10 coins and Saint Gaudens $20 in 24k gold (which could even replace the proof AGE's as an annual product) as stated in the above comment. For silver I'd do it this way:

-1 oz silver Mercury Dime using original design and edge lettering saying 1 oz fine silver like the ATB pucks in satin finish replaces burnished ASE as annual product.
    -1 oz silver Type 2 Standing Liberty Quarter using original design and edge lettering saying 1 oz fine silver in satin finish replaces S mint proof ASE as annual product.
    -1 oz silver Walking Liberty Half Dollar using original design and edge lettering saying 1 oz fine silver in satin finish replaces W mint proof ASE as annual product.

I specifically spell out satin finish because the classic design artists including MacNeil and Weinman objected to mirror proof finishes and felt that it cheapened their designs (something Roger Burdette mentions in his books and ATS). Also MacNeil objected to the Type 1 SLQ design. This would bring the classic designs used today in line with the original intent of the artists. Also instead of having 3 different ASE's annually sold to the public, you can have 3 different 1 oz silver coins with 3 popular classic designs.

I also think the modern Morgan and Peace Dollars should be 1 oz silver rather than .85 oz silver. Canada Silver Maple Leafs are smaller than an ASE (about 38mm, same size as a traditional silver dollar) and have 1 oz fine silver. A thicker planchet could mean that you could have better strikes/relief (especially for the Peace Dollar).

• Options

Good evening,

Your comments are the reasons for my original post. It has been my experience that too few, in numismatics and the general public, know about the process of circulating and commemorative coin design or the role of the CCAC in this process. Again, for more information about the CCAC, please view: https://www.ccac.gov/

I can guarantee that more opportunities will be provided to provide substantive input. It is up to us to respond to the call.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 8:53PM

I'm loving the coins mixing classic(ish) designs with new ones...like the American Women Quarters.
    Getting the report first hand essentially directly from you is super neato :smiley: Thank you for posting it!

How about some American Folk Heros? Some of whom are real people and some not, and some not quite so clear whom the real person was. Folks like...
    Paul Bunyan, Daniel Boone, Betsy Ross, Arrow Boy, Geronimo, Pecos Bill, John Henry...

Molly Pitcher

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    I'm loving the coins mixing classic(ish) designs with new ones...like the American Women Quarters.
    Getting the report first hand essentially directly from you is super neato :smiley: Thank you for posting it!

How about some American Folk Heros? Some of whom are real people and some not, and some not quite so clear whom the real person was. Folks like...
    Paul Bunyan, Daniel Boone, Betsy Ross, Arrow Boy, Geronimo, Pecos Bill, John Henry...

Molly Pitcher

Not a bad idea for a circulating series. At this juncture we are going to have circulating commemorative quarters in perpetuity. At least make them short series like the American women quarters.

• Options

@Cranium_Basher73 said:
    If there was one past design to revive for whatever reason, I would like to see the $20 Liberty type 3.

The US Mint has the statutory authority to do it now given its broad authority to mint gold coins. I think that the revivals of classic designs show that they can sell well. At this point they can make the AGE a bullion coin option only to create room for reviving the classic gold designs. Let's face it, no one can afford a deep cameo $20 type 3 liberty, but the US Mint selling one for $2700 as a 1 oz 24k gold coin would be a VERY good option.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like how all the designs for this year include enough to determine what field they are related to. I just got an Anna May Wong quarter in my change and had to do a search to see who she was (not that was a bad thing).

• Options

I so appreciate these comments. Please keep them coming.

Also, another option to communicate your views is to contact the CCAC with your ideas via https://www.ccac.gov/

Best regards

Casabrown

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2023 9:49AM

I love all the new designs, so awesome. <3

Please do not go backwards, keep moving forward.

• Options

Great. Please also consider the commemorative coins over the years.

• Options

@Casabrown said:
    Great. Please also consider the commemorative coins over the years.

Yes there has been plenty of room for new designs including never ending circulating quarters since 1999. Annual Native American dollars, American Innovation Dollars, commemoratives. There's many new designs to choose from for those who want new designs. I won't say that's necessarily true for the classic coin collectors, its hard to get a completely struck Type 2 Standing Liberty Quarter, its hard to get full thumb AND full feather details on Walking Liberty Halves, its hard to get a Saint with no rub on the knee which would knock it down from MS to AU if it was any other series.

• Options

Points well made!

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people are saying to bring the classical design style back in circulating coinage by using the same exact pre-WWII designs. Why not just make new designs in the classic style? Modern commemorative coinage is getting old and outdated. New designs bring a big change from our current standards, in result new curiosity for new coin collectors and nostalgic eye candy for the current collectors.

Bring back perched eagles! Bring back mythical figures!

@Kurisu said:

Molly Pitcher

I think this is a great idea and could bring positive results if executed correctly.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

@jacrispies said:
    Many people are saying to bring the classical design style back in circulating coinage by using the same exact pre-WWII designs. Why not just make new designs in the classic style? Modern commemorative coinage is getting old and outdated. New designs bring a big change from our current standards, in result new curiosity for new coin collectors and nostalgic eye candy for the current collectors.

Bring back perched eagles! Bring back mythical figures!

@Kurisu said:

Molly Pitcher

I think this is a great idea and could bring positive results if executed correctly.

There's no reason why the US Mint can't have both new circulating designs and revive old designs. It's the country's largest coin dealer and likely has the capacity for both. Look at how we have 2 dollar coin series, 2 gold bullion programs, now 3 separate silver programs. Let people who want new designs be able to get theirs while people who can't afford proof 1878-1904 Morgans, fully struck 1916-1930 SLQ's or MS65/MS66 CAC Saints can get modern versions from the US Mint.

• Options

Interesting thoughts

• Options

Just circling back to recommend that all who have proposed suggestions or comments to also write the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (https://www.ccac.gov/) so that your ideas receive attention.

Best regards,

• Options

ttt

• Options

ttt

• Options

ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list