Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Series 2013 (B) $1 Star Notes - Project 2013B is still going strong

I think I first posted here about a year ago about the project. In that time the list of registered serial numbers has grown from 10,000 to almost 28,000. Today marked the confirmation the project's 20th matched pair. Photos of both the DC and FW notes are verified for the serial number, B seal, plate numbers and so on. Once that occurs the email addresses of the registered owners are shared between the two owners and they go off and negotiate to physically complete the pair.

Got a 2013 (B seal) star note? Register it today!

Background info....
The ERROR:
In 2014 and 2016, The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP), printed series 2013 $1 Federal Reserve New York star notes from two facilities, Washington DC and Fort Worth. This, in itself is not unusual. The unusual part is they duplicated some serial numbers. There are dollar bills out there circulating with the same exact serial number as another dollar bill! The only difference is one bill has an indicator showing it was printed in Fort Worth, while the DC note does not. When the government does it it's legal, when WE do it it's called counterfeiting... LOL.

The PROJECT (prior and NEW)
In an attempt to help currency collectors find a matching pair of notes, Mr. Ed Zegers of Maryland and Mr. Karol Winograd of Florida started a project (known as the Zegers/Winograd project) of recording all the serial numbers submitted to them by fellow collectors. The Zegers/Winograd project ceased maintaining the list in September 2021, but I stepped in and carried on where they left off. For lack of a better name, I called it "Project 2013B".

Let's get matched!
Please let fellow collectors know that the Zegers/Winograd project lives on under Project 2013B. There have been reports of collectors spending their 2013B star notes after hearing that Zegers/Winograd had stopped updating their list. A matched pair could be worth thousands of dolalrs, with one matched pair recently selling at auction for $7200! The new 'Project 2013B' website has an online form that allows you to submit the serial numbers of any 2013B star notes that you might have. When a match is found in the database, the two owners will be contacted, and they can then decide if they want to get the notes together to be auctioned off (or simply kept as part of a collection). Completed pairs have been auctioned off for $3705, $7200, and even $9300 (depending on condition and where you auction it off).

Here is a photo of a recent matched pair (from the project's blog)

💵_(^ ̮ ^)/

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 12:51PM

Wouldn’t common sense dictate that the more matches are found, the less valuable they become, asking for a friend.

This appears to be a duplicated thread.

• Options

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Are there confirmed buyers for this?

• Options

Why do I need to give credit card number

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been participating in this program for some time now. I've submitted many notes. There's even a database of all entered notes. Patience is a good thing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall