Home U.S. Coin Forum

Results Posted at the End - Worth Submitting? Somewhat early gold

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 15, 2023 2:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I need to round out a submission to PCGS, do you think these will straight grade? Both show signs of old cleaning, but minimal hairlines. The $2.5 also has an old gouge on the neck.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they might be a little too far gone for a straight grade myself, but then again I’ve seen some scrubby looking classic head gold in straight graded holders

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos are a bit out of focus, but I don't think I'd want to buy them in straight-grade holders..... therefore I think the graders would see it that way too. Cool coins nonetheless.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree that details/cleaned is likely on those two.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the 2.5,
    I believe the reverse rims have been filed. Look how low they are and so much smoother than all the others.

The rims don't lie.
    I think you get a body bag. Not worth sending in. Imo.

Have a nice day
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    On the 2.5,
    I believe the reverse rims have been filed. Look how low they are and so much smoother than all the others.

The rims don't lie.
    I think you get a body bag. Not worth sending in. Imo.

Thanks. I just studied the rim and reeding in that area under good mag and lighting, and don’t detect any filing evidence. But I see what you mean.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look at the arrow on the reverse of the 2.5.
    The shaft is still prominent above the arrow tip. There is a name for this and I've forgotten.
    Now look at the reverse rim. Very worn down into the denticles. And squared off smooth. The arrow shaft shows little wear. The rims show wear. Contradiction there. I believe the rim is telling us something.
    Jmo

Have a nice day
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

They might be more saleable in a details graded slab anyway, as the buyer would pay a premium for knowing the coin is genuine.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there is any rim filing on either one.

There is a reasonable possibility of problem-free grades on both (VF30 on quarter eagle and EF40 on half eagle). The neck gouge on the quarter eagle is the most significant detriment on either. So the half eagle has a better chance.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they will straight grade... borderline decision. But a slab will enhance the chances of selling should you decide to do that. Cheers, RickO

edited January 5, 2023 6:46PM

Thanks all!

I have the advantage of having them in hand, and after some research, I think that they have a fair chance to straight grade.

Given my cost basis from having acquired them some time ago, and seeing what current valuations are, it’s worth the shot.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not so sure they'd straight-grade from looking at those images... but then again... I've bought coins from you in the past and they usually look better "in-hand" than in the image... juss sayin' :wink:

Seriously though... for me, it wouldn't matter. A guarantee of authenticity goes a long way when looking at early gold... early silver... early "anything" really. There are so many counterfeits out there and they're getting better every day. I don't have Fivazs' Book, so I'm not sure the extent that Classic Head Gold has counterfeited but I'd be willing to bet someone has tried at some point... FWIW... I'd never buy a raw Classic Head Gold, but I'd entertain the idea if it was certified as authentic and the price reflected the problem. Like Early Copper!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2023 4:19PM

I usually drop off these types of "on the fence" coins with ANACS at local coin shows with grading costs being about $14 to $16 each and if it straight grades, then attempt a crossover if felt appropriate. :wink:

Am very content that 14 of 38 submitted during their $16 express three week turnaround special got straight grades with the following example of 1853 Liberty head dollar getting slabbed as an AU 58 whereas the 1856 with slanted 5 got A8 (AU 58 cleaned details).

** Edited to add pics.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Congratulations!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@lkenefic said:
    Awesome! Congratulations!!

Thanks.
    I also award you honorable mention, for your assumption that the coins probably looked better in hand, as I have a knack for casting them in a negative light with my pics.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you.

BTW, the coins look MUCH nicer in the slab photos than they did in the first post.

@BryceM said:
    Good for you.

BTW, the coins look MUCH nicer in the slab photos than they did in the first post.

Thanks.
    Totally different environment, with natural sunlight and an overhead LED light in my office.
    Maybe I need to use this more regularly!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file