Home U.S. Coin Forum

2000-P Sacagawea Dollar, Some Type Of Doubling

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been searching dollar coins for quit awhile. This one jumped out at me. It's probably some type of minor anomaly. It's under the eagles neck and along the top wing edge.

The area under the neck looks different from the normal machine or strike doubling I've seen over the years. It's a raised line, and then it goes back down to field lever behind the line.

The strike along the front of the wing looks more like strike doubling with a shelf-like look. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see this anywhere else on the coin.. Just these two areas.

I'm probably not explaining what I'm seeing very well.

Trying to get the lighting and focus correct wasn't easy. Hope you can see what I'm talking about.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine doubling. I’ve seen this on many 2000 P sacagawea dollars

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

a fantastic example of machine doubling since it shows it BOTH on the horizontal AND vertical plane.

actual doubling would be VERY hard pressed to create this effect because if it were just doubled horizontally, we'd only see it on the wing and if it were doubled vertically, we'd only see it on the neck.

vertically, we'd see it maybe on the tips of the feathers and horizontally we'd maybe see it on more of the neck/body/tail feathers.

if it were just rotation doubling, we would see the doubled areas be tapered one way or the other but both areas are about the same width the entire length.

if you notice the 55 1c doubled die, the doubling is more as it gets out away from the center of the coin since it is rotation doubling. we often see this with other types as well with pivot-points. less near the pivot-point and much more the further out you go.

the seemingly inconsistent doubling on the devices with BOTH actual and machine doubling almost never fails to make me shake my head at the weirdness of it all.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I don't believe I ever came across this? And I searched 1000's of dollars!
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

Post some pictures here of yours.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@1madman said:

Unfortunately that is not an easy request for me. I haven’t seen those coins in ~20 years. I think they’re grouped together in a plastic butter container, buried somewhere. I threw all my unusual roll finds together and haven’t seen them in quite a while.

I thought these were neat back when I found them. I also liked finding the sac dollars with 2 sets of eyes on sacagawea herself. I’m surprised nobody asks/posts pictures of the 4 eyed sacagawea coins? Those are only on the 2000 P coins as well, iirc.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman ... I do not recall seeing any "..4 eyed sacagawea" pictures here... or anywhere. Not familiar with the anomaly. May have to open my mint rolls of 2000 P Sacs. Anyone have a picture to post of this?? Cheers, RickO

@1madman said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@1madman said:

Unfortunately that is not an easy request for me. I haven’t seen those coins in ~20 years. I think they’re grouped together in a plastic butter container, buried somewhere. I threw all my unusual roll finds together and haven’t seen them in quite a while.

I thought these were neat back when I found them. I also liked finding the sac dollars with 2 sets of eyes on sacagawea herself. I’m surprised nobody asks/posts pictures of the 4 eyed sacagawea coins? Those are only on the 2000 P coins as well, iirc.

Well, if you ever find them post them here.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 2:30PM

@OAKSTAR said:

@1madman said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@1madman said:

Well, if you ever find them post them here.

a 4-eyed sac coin, ya, we gotta see that! por favor

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Wouldn't it be odd or unusual to have vertical and horizontal machine doubling on the same device?

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    [ Wouldn't it be odd or unusual to have vertical and horizontal machine doubling on the same device? ]

That question reminds me of a song............Hmmmmmmm

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Let me call the doctor.........@FredWeinberg

• @Steven59 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    [ Wouldn't it be odd or unusual to have vertical and horizontal machine doubling on the same device? ]

That question reminds me of a song............Hmmmmmmm

I’ll take your comment “For what it’s worth”.

"Rent regulation: an impenetrable thicket confusing not only to laymen but to lawyers".
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical/ejection Doubling, Imo

….. and I loved Buffalo Springfield ( & still do) - actually interacted with them when I was in
    stage crew at my high school in late 1966 and they were performing for our Friday night Sports Nite

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

@FredWeinberg said:
    Mechanical/ejection Doubling, Imo

….. and I loved Buffalo Springfield ( & still do) - actually interacted with them when I was in
    stage crew at my high school in late 1966 and they were performing for our Friday night Sports Nite

Thanks Fred!

Really? What High School?

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2023 7:01PM

Hamilton high on Robertson Boulevard
    Los Angeles

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Let's bump it. This is the second one I've found in 10 months. Probably minor, maybe not.

So Fred, can mechanical/ejection doubling occur in the horizontal and vertical position on the same strike?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file