Home Sports Talk

Say A Prayer For Damar Hamlin

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just heard he is at local hospital in critical condition. Keep the prayers coming for this young man.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts and prayers going out to Damar and his family from me.
    Get well soon!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

terrible, terrible, terrible. I just hate this. I hope this young man will be alright

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a pretty scary situation and the hit didn't even look that bad. Hopefully its all positive news from here forward,
    Kudos to the two head coaches for agreeing to postpone the rest of the game. Some of the players didn't look like they should be jumping back into game mode after what happened.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking online right now, just at general NFL headlines that are most prevalent and trending, there is an overwhelming narrative that is the only thing being discussed. It is essentially..."the players cancelled the game, the NFL wanted it to continue. The NFL is evil". I'm a bit surprised by this. I'm not going to argue that the game should have continued. But yes, work does often and usually continue for people after a co-worker is taken away in an ambulance.

@Brick said:
    Suddenly the game does not seem important, nor appropriate to continue. Hopefully Hamlin has a full recovery.

I commented on this above. I'm fine with not continuing. But inappropriate? I'm not trying to die on this hill. Just saying...

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Showtime this isn’t the thread to try to start an off topic discussion

You could have at least offered condolences or something after all he is in critical condition

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Showtime this isn’t the thread to try to start an off topic discussion

You could have at least offered condolences or something after all he is in critical condition

Im sorry. I did agree with other posts, and I also said a prayer for him here in my living room before even commenting. Others here said the game shouldn't continue. I went online to read more about his condition and saw what I saw, then commented here. I was just surprised by what I saw. To be honest, the reason that I was surprised is that I agree his condition is important. Which is why I was surprised that the narrative was shifting towards being about the NFL. I didn't see my post as wrong, but I see now that it was ill-timed.

I apologize to the board and won't be commenting more on this thread.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way this game could have or should have continued. The decision to postpone it was a no-brainer.

I hope we get some good news over the next 24-48 hours.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Godspeed Damar Hamlin

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 10:43PM

how? well, it's quite easy when someone playing in tonight's game could have potentially died.

i sincerely hope that skip loses his job over this display of obtuse insensitivity

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just lost for words on what happened on the field earlier...It's sad

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts and prayers to this young man and his family, they made the right move postponing the game, his life is all that matters.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2023 3:56AM

sad

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suddenly football doesn’t seem that important. Prays and get well.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

after reading comments on various forums, watching some television, and listening to the radio this morning, I am wondering how the NFL will deal with this game. from what I hear, it is unlikely this game will be continued, as the Bills have apparently gone back to Buffalo last night.

if KC and Buffalo both win next week, it would put them 1/2 game in front for the first seed and bye week. the first playoff round is in 2 weeks.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    after reading comments on various forums, watching some television, and listening to the radio this morning, I am wondering how the NFL will deal with this game. from what I hear, it is unlikely this game will be continued, as the Bills have apparently gone back to Buffalo last night.

if KC and Buffalo both win next week, it would put them 1/2 game in front for the first seed and bye week. the first playoff round is in 2 weeks.

It is my understanding that the commissioner cannot declare a unilateral forfeit. Buffalo must return to Cincinnati to play the game within 2 days (Wednesday) or else the Buffalo organization declares a forfeit.

@countdouglas said:

@craig44 said:

It is my understanding that the commissioner cannot declare a unilateral forfeit. Buffalo must return to Cincinnati to play the game within 2 days (Wednesday) or else the Buffalo organization declares a forfeit.

thank you. that is exactly what i was looking for.

I wonder what would happen if both teams were to refuse to play?

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer they move the playoffs back one week. Do away with the off week before the Super Bowl. That would give the League an entire week to finish this game. Now I feel guilty for even thinking they finish the game. However both Cincinnati and Buffalo will play in the playoffs. They will not cancel the remainder of the season. Just my opinion. I can be swayed by others opinions. Right now football does not feel important. Hamlins recovery and prognosis for his future are far more important than anything else.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    I would prefer they move the playoffs back one week. Do away with the off week before the Super Bowl. That would give the League an entire week to finish this game. Now I feel guilty for even thinking they finish the game. However both Cincinnati and Buffalo will play in the playoffs. They will not cancel the remainder of the season. Just my opinion. I can be swayed by others opinions. Right now football does not feel important. Hamlins recovery and prognosis for his future are far more important than anything else.

That is a great idea Brick. I do like having 2 weeks between the CG's and the SB so both teams can heal/rest and we see the best versions of both SB teams possible. This year, however, I can certainly see changing that around considering the circumstances.

I dont think you need to feel guilty about wondering how this will all play out. we all multitask and can have both a deep concern for Damar Hamlin while still wondering about the mechanics of the season.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Damar Hamlin suffered a cardiac arrest following a hit in our game versus the Bengals,” the team said in a statement. “His heartbeat was restored on the field and he was transferred to the UC Medical Center for further testing and treatment. He is currently sedated and listed in critical condition.”

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes and speedy recovery for this young man.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard his mom was at the game and was with him in the ambulance. That's got to be tough for her.
    Hope he pulls through and gets better.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

God bless him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember there was only 1 week between the conference championship games and Super Bowl XXV when the Giants beat the Bills so it's been done before.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

are there any new updates on Damar?

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend all your time waiting
    For that second chance
    For a break that would make it okay
    There's always some reason
    To feel not good enough
    And it's hard at the end of the day
    I need some distraction
    Oh a beautiful release
    Memories seep from my veins
    Let me be empty
    Oh and weightless and maybe
    I'll find some peace tonight
    In the arms of the angel
    Fly away from here
    From this dark cold hotel room
    And the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage
    Of your silent reverie
    You're in the arms of the angel
    May you find some comfort here
    So tired of the straight line
    And everywhere you turn
    There's vultures and thieves at your back
    And the storm keeps on twisting
    You keep on building the lies
    That you make up for all that you lack
    It don't make no difference
    Escaping one last time
    It's easier to believe
    In this sweet madness
    Oh this glorious sadness
    That brings me to my knees
    In the arms of the angel
    Fly away from here
    From this dark cold hotel room
    And the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage
    Of your silent reverie
    Songwriters: Sarah Mclachlan. For non-commercial use only.

Maybe this beautiful song will comfort us all at this time.

This is so sad... :(

Looks like the prayers worked - not to mention the fast response of the on the field medical staff, the hospital professionals, and his family being by his side - looks like the young man is doing great and soon should be out of the critical care unit!

I saw this mentioned elsewhere but has anyone taken a look at what Hamlin's cards have been selling for since getting injured?
    This is just his 2021 Chronicles Draft Prestige Xtra RC that went from selling for $4-6 in the days before the injury to upwards of $1K to 15K. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=damar+hamlin+chronicles&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Complete=1&_ipg=240&LH_Sold=1&_sop=16

Here's another,2021 Contenders Draft Picks Rookie Ticket Auto that were selling for $4-5 in the days before his injury that ended up selling as high as $12K. Average price of last 5 recent sales have it back down to around $150.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=damar+hamlin+contenders&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_Complete=1&_ipg=240&LH_Sold=1&_sop=16

With Aaron Hernandez & Kobe Bryant's deaths we saw many of their cards rise to pretty crazy numbers before dropping back down to realistic prices. I feel bad for whoever it was buying those Hamlin RCs at those prices in the links above because they're probably not getting anywhere close to what they paid for them if they go to resell later.

it usually happens when an athlete dies or is severely injured. A massive bump then they flatten out again.

I can remember there even being a bump when Pete Rose was first being investigated and when OJ was in the news in 1994

I can just imagine the amount of cancelled auctions/BINs over the next week or two when it finally dawns on some of these buyers that they spent thousands of dollars on a $5 card. They'll be hitting that INAD button on returns even though most of these cards went through ebay's authentication process.

"Bills' Damar Hamlin released from Cincinnati hospital after cardiac arrest on field"

"Bills safety Damar Hamlin has returned home to Buffalo after nearly a week at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center following a Week 17 matchup against the Bengals where he suffered cardiac arrest, doctors said Monday.
    Dr. William A. Knight told reporters that he accompanied Hamlin to the airport on Monday morning, adding that the second-year safety was "doing well" and is "beginning of the next stage of his recovery."