Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eric Newman's HK-401 Panama-Pacific So-Called Dollar is now raw

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2, 2023 3:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just saw this raw HK-401 PPIE listing pedigreed to Eric Newman and decided to look it up. Looks like it used to be slabbed with the EPN insert.

The slab from Heritage:

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a fair price.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedigree on the slab label aside now the surfaces are too impaired for more than 1/10th the asking price.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

HK-401 is listed as an R4 and can be found easily for less than $100. I can't see the label adding any real value to a medal that probably wouldn't grade MS63. I suppose if the seller includes the NGC insert with the raw medal that a new owner would have no problem proving what they have. To me the Provenance isn't all that important mainly because the medal itself isn't very significant. A medal of more importance or rarity might be different to some collectors.

• Options

Agree this is common enough that the So-Called Dollar isn't that interesting without the insert and mostly interesting for collecting inserts when it was present.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Agree this is common enough that the So-Called Dollar isn't that interesting without the insert and mostly interesting for collecting inserts when it was present.

If holding a cracked-out NGC slab label insert with EPN printed on it yields you a rise in your Levis... Consider that a sign you're most likely hitting the Pedigree Kool-Aid a little too hard! ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks overpriced to me.... and I agree with @Broadstruck.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins Why do you suppose they cracked the coin out of the NGC holder? They didn't like the "grade" displayed so close to the medal and instead now force people to look up what NGC called it?

Mark

• Options
    edited January 5, 2023 8:29AM

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

If holding a cracked-out NGC slab label insert with EPN printed on it yields you a rise in your Levis... Consider that a sign you're most likely hitting the Pedigree Kool-Aid a little too hard! ;)

I was talking about about the insert in an intact slab, but yes, you're right in that many people have drank the Kool-Aid at big name sales like EPN and Pogue! It seems that some times people want something to memorialize being at the event.

• Options

@Mark said:
    @Zoins Why do you suppose they cracked the coin out of the NGC holder? They didn't like the "grade" displayed so close to the medal and instead now force people to look up what NGC called it?

I'm not sure about this specific piece, but in general, a number of people crack out "no grades" in the hopes of getting it into a graded holder or at least selling it without mentioning the problem.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file