Home Sports Talk

If you could go back in time and watch one sporting event

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's pretend you can step into this time machine and watch one game or sporting event, live, in person, what would it be?

Comments

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

any game from 1914-1919 when Babe Ruth was the starting pitcher for the Red Sox

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first quarter of the Illinois- Michigan game when Memorial Stadium was dedicated in 1924- Nothing like that ever happened before or since then. To write that it was electrifying is a gross understatement

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 8:09AM

1st. The seventh game of the 1960 World Series when the Pittsburg Pirates came back from a big Yankee lead with a dramatic homerun by catcher Hal Smith and then won the series with a walk-off homer by Bill Mazeroski in the bottom of the ninth.

The Baltimore Colt win over the Giants in the 1958 NFL Championship game in overtime.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 8:59AM

First choice,I'd go with Lakers-Celtics at the Boston Garden for Game 7 of the 1984 Finals. Second,would be Russell vs Wilt in game 7 of the 1962 Finals.

Edit: Actually I'd have to go with any Celtics game from the 1986 Finals. Once the game is over I'd take the 20min drive to where I was living in MA at the time and I'd hit every store that I knew sold 1986 Fleer basketball packs/boxes to clean them out. 😎

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 2. I would have loved to have been in person at the Willie Mays "catch" game. My other is not so much the game, but to have been present at Lou Gehrig's farewell speech.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seabiscuit match race against War Admiral in 1938 at Pimlico

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    First choice,I'd go with Lakers-Celtics at the Boston Garden for Game 7 of the 1984 Finals.

Or we could go Dutch on a trip to the Forum for game 4 in 84. You know I love the McHale clothesline game

https://youtu.be/X7r6vXeOfyQ

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love Heinsohn..."that's part of the game"

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    First choice,I'd go with Lakers-Celtics at the Boston Garden for Game 7 of the 1984 Finals.

Or we could go Dutch on a trip to the Forum for game 4 in 84. You know I love the McHale clothesline game

https://youtu.be/X7r6vXeOfyQ

Fine but seeing that we'd be a couple weeks before Jordan goes 3rd in the 1984 draft we'll have to go looking for boxes of 1980-81 Topps Basketball for some Bird/Magic rookies instead. 😉

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 1:30PM

I would go back and watch this fight ringside, Sugar Ray Robinson vs Jake Lamotta VI, known as the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. An absolute war between two terminators, Sugar Ray was on another level that night, it is the greatest performance by a boxer that I have ever seen, I can't imagine being in the ring against Sugar Ray that night, he was ripping off 3 and 4 hooks at a time, explosive flurries, combinations, just relentless determination, it's almost as if he was possessed. I don't think any middleweight in boxing history beats Sugar Ray this night, I just don't see anyone being able to weather that storm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sKynWce-loE

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly the World Series between pirates and tigers, honus wagner against Ty Cobb. I’m thinking 1909?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd probably pick Wilt's 100-point game in 1962.

Steve

edited January 2, 2023 6:45PM

@Darin said:
    Possibly the World Series between pirates and tigers, honus wagner against Ty Cobb. I’m thinking 1909?

Cobb challenged Wagner that he was going to steal second, calling him a “Krout.” Wagner tagged him out splitting Cobb’s lip in the process, which Cobb acknowledged in admiration.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

1982 Wimbledon final Connors vs McEnroe.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

USA over Russia in hockey.....USA, USA, USA.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

give me some 19th-century baseball. I am mostly interested in the pitching back then. I would like to see Old Hoss Radbourne in 1884. What a season!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@SDSportsFan said:
    I'd probably pick Wilt's 100-point game in 1962.

Steve

That one will be a legend forever because no film was taken of that game. It was played in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

@craig44 said:
    give me some 19th-century baseball. I am mostly interested in the pitching back then. I would like to see Old Hoss Radbourne in 1884. What a season!

They were probably mostly side armers back in those days because their arms would have fallen off otherwise. They also could not have been hard throwers.

There were rules at the beginning that the pitcher "served" the ball to the batter to hit. The batter could specify if liked high or low pitches.

Many years ago I attended a recreation game in Worchester, Massachusetts when a recreation of the Worchester National League team played team from Troy, NY using the old rules. In that game, the pitchers did throw to get the batters out. They were not "servers." No one wore gloves. In 1883 the Worchester team became the Philadelphia Phillies and the Troy team became the New York Giants.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

They were probably mostly side armers back in those days because their arms would have fallen off otherwise. They also could not have been hard throwers.

There were rules at the beginning that the pitcher "served" the ball to the batter to hit. The batter could specify if liked high or low pitches.

Many years ago I attended a recreation game in Worchester, Massachusetts when a recreation of the Worchester National League team played team from Troy, NY using the old rules. In that game, the pitchers did throw to get the batters out. They were not "servers." No one wore gloves. In 1883 the Worchester team became the Philadelphia Phillies and the Troy team became the New York Giants.

That would be an interesting game to attend. would love to see one. the distance to home plate was also in flux until 1893 I believe. I think i have read that some pitchers were straight underhand. they also could not flick/snap their wrists for quite awhile. I have always wished there was video of the old-time hurlers.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Babe's called shot. Any game with Russell playing. In my book, he's the GOAT.

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:

That would be an interesting game to attend. would love to see one. the distance to home plate was also in flux until 1893 I believe. I think i have read that some pitchers were straight underhand. they also could not flick/snap their wrists for quite awhile. I have always wished there was video of the old-time hurlers.

I have footage of Walter Johnson. “The Big Train” was a sidearmer which explained how he could pitch three shutouts in four days. The sidearm motion puts less pressure on the arm.

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

The 1936 Olympics that features so many firsts for the Olympics and highlights such as Jesse Owens

In MLB, When the Yankees played in Anaheim and Jim Abbott was a Yankee pitcher. Abbott got the win and Mattingly hit a homerun in that game to contribute to the run support. I really like those two athletes and for them to shine on the same day would have been special. I only read about the game after the fact and regretted not going as southern California resident at the time.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2023 3:30PM

DUH?..

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 8:54AM

Game 8 of the 1972 Summit Series

In my opinion, the series, as a whole, could not have been scripted better. Watch the documentary narrated by Peter Coyote on YouTube. I believe there is a newer one from 2022, but I haven't had a chance to watch it.

Two of my favorite items are a signed "Esposito Address to the Nation" card from the 1990's Summit Series set (this was after the game 4 loss in Vancouver, making the series 1 win, 2 losses and a tie before going to Moscow for the last four) and an 8x10 signed by Paul Henderson ("Henderson has scored for Canada!) when he's being hugged by Cournoyer.

The series changed hockey forever.

Da, da Kanada! Nyet, nyet Soviet!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shot heard around the world or Dodgers winning the WS against the Yankees