Home Sports Talk
Options

The Dolphins just plain

olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

suck. They had about a dozen players out today with the playoffs on the line. They basically benched Tua instead of him making a fool out himself again. This was a GM move to save his job. Truly a pathetic job of coaching by McDaniel. They run the ball well but Mcdaniel is out to make a big splash.

After making 5 of the first 19 super bowls, they haven't been back for 38 years. really sad.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    suck. They had about a dozen players out today with the playoffs on the line. They basically benched Tua instead of him making a fool out himself again.

He was in concussion protocol and not allowed to play.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dolphins ended up playing their third string quarterback because of injuries. It’s hard to win when get that deep in roster.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without Tua in there it's a different team, Bridgwater is probably worse than Jones

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2023 5:35PM

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:
    suck. They had about a dozen players out today with the playoffs on the line. They basically benched Tua instead of him making a fool out himself again.

Exactly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd place schedule counted for 5 wins in a row. The season starts in December or for the Dolphins ended

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:

Exactly.

supposedly.

• Options

lots of big decisions coming up for tua and the gm.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:

Exactly.

supposedly.

There's no "supposedly" about it.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Dolphins ended up playing their third string quarterback because of injuries. It’s hard to win when get that deep in roster.

Unless the qb's name is Purdy.......... :)

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:

Exactly.

supposedly.

You don't seem to know very much about the team you "supposedly" follow.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:

Exactly.

supposedly.

If there's a possible conspiracy afoot, please spill it...

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 6:07AM

i know there's a snowball's chance in hades of this happening, but i really wish Tua would hang it up

kid is continuing to play with fire

no amount of fame and fortune is worth having your brain shredded

• Options
    edited January 3, 2023 12:42PM

@grote15 said:

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:

Exactly.

supposedly.

In my opinion the coach and the GM are done with Tua, just like the raiders and Carr. They have no desire to pay him and they don't want him to go out and stink it up anymore, in case there is some trade value. I played football for 15 years, played against Brett Favre, Deion Sanders, and Michael Irvin and many other pros, I find it very peculiar a day after a POP TARTS performance that you suddenly are having concussion issues. And almost immediately they ruled him out.

If he does have real concussion issues after being normally "tackled" playing tackle football, then he needs to retire.

• Options

The NFL stated recently that they are in the works to design special helmets for QB’s that have extra padding for the back of the helmet as most concussions happen when a QB slams the back of his head on the ground.
    I think artificial turf is another cause as some of the turf just has a small pad underneath. I’d imagine it’s like getting your head slammed against concrete.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2023 12:43PM

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

@Tabe said:

@olb31 said:

Exactly.

supposedly.

In my opinion the coach and the GM are done with Tua, just like the raiders and Carr. They have no desire to pay him and they don't want him to go out and stink it up anymore, in case there is some trade value. I played football for 15 years, played against Brett Favre, Deion Sanders, and Michael Irvin and many other pros, I find it very peculiar a day after a POP TARTS performance that you suddenly are having concussion issues. And almost immediately they ruled him out.

If he does have real concussion issues after being normally "tackled" playing tackle football, then he needs to retire.

I don't find what you are saying outside the realm of possibility, but dying on that hill here looks like it will get you some push back.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    The NFL stated recently that they are in the works to design special helmets for QB’s that have extra padding for the back of the helmet as most concussions happen when a QB slams the back of his head on the ground.
    I think artificial turf is another cause as some of the turf just has a small pad underneath. I’d imagine it’s like getting your head slammed against concrete.

I agree, but Tua got two of them in Miami on grass. Has to be concerning, if that's is true. Grass is much better for the players health in football and baseball.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@2dueces said:

I agree, but Tua got two of them in Miami on grass. Has to be concerning, if that's is true. Grass is much better for the players health in football and baseball.

I have always wondered about the logic of artificial tuff when natural grass is a viable option. What is the sense of signing players for 100s of millions of dollars when you have field surface that is going to ruin their legs? Crazy and penny wise and pound foolish.

I think the worst surface may have been at the late and unlamented Veterans’ Stadium in Philadelphia. I saw players bounce baseballs off that surface like a basketball.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@olb31 said:

@2dueces said:

I agree but banging your head violently on any surface isn’t a good feeling. Had one as a 13 year old. Woke up with a bunch of people standing over me. Of course I finished the game. That’s was getting your bell rung

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@BillJones said:

Unless the qb's name is Purdy.......... :)

That is highly unusual. The last time I remember a team getting down the third string quarterback and going anywhere was the Baltimore Colts in the late 1960s. The third string replacement was Tom Matte who was a half back. He had the plays taped to his wrist before it was fashionable.

• Options

Before we put the jacket on Mr Purdy let’s calm down a bit. It’s truly a feel good story, so far. But this is the NFL and film and adjustments are the death of many a QB with 4 starts. The more film, the more we find weaknesses and flaws. For the 49ers sake they better hope it’s later than soon. Still besides Purdy they are a complete team and head and shoulders the best team in the NFC.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Purdy stats so far give him a rating of 101 this season. That puts him 7th overall if sustained for the season. His QBR is 67.8, that puts him 5th overall for NFL qb's if sustained from the season. As the films find weaknesses and flaws as time goes on, so does Niner coaches and strive to correct them, they watch the same films of Purdy's performances after all. So sure valid point, but this is a tug of war, and how he improves is dependent on coaches correcting him and his own adaptations. I have not seen the level of poise in a first year qb that he has shown in quite some time. I suspect he is going to do just fine for the next couple games, but if the Niners win in the playoffs it will get harder against better teams, that will be his true test. Nevertheless, Purdy has shown more than Trey Lance and I hope they don't go back to TL next year...............

More importantly, is the FAA going to fix the computer glitch in their system for Florida flights so I can have a smooth ride to MCO tomorrow for FUN? You would think the FAA is watching film too and they can correct this quickly enough to not put me in travel hell tomorrow, we will see..............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Seems likely that he was concussed during the game and it impacted his play. The 3 straight interceptions was abnormal for his play this year.

With his concussion history, I am not sure I would want to sign him to a mega contract but I think he will get one anyway. Sidney Crosby had concussion issues in hockey and managed to work through them, so it is possible the same could happen with Tua. Eventually, I think you will see much longer recovery times for concussions. How quickly they return right now will be considered criminally negligent in 10-15 years.

Robb

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have thought all along that Tua needs to retire. for his health. I do believe that it takes less trauma for each successive concussion event. this does not bode well for Tua's health or the Dolphins roster.

truly a lose-lose situation

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Dolphins should go after Aaron Rodgers.