Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

IMEX

I did not want to poop on @EVillageProwler ’s fantastic 2022 accomplishments thread, so I started a new thread to reply.

Apologies to all, but I need to say this.

@EVillageProwler said:

@Exbrit said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@Exbrit said:
Wow - nice recap. Now that there will be (possibly) an alternative to NYINC, which I always miss, in Nashville. Will you attend it as well?

Tell me more please. But TN is far from where I live (NE USA).

1st Annual International Money Exposition. The convention and show will be held October 26th through 29th, 2023 at the Music City Center, Downtown Nashville, Tennessee. The event will be known as “IMEX”

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/international-money-exposition-scheduled-for-nashville-in-october

Thank you for the link to the show.

When I saw the name of the show promoter, I immediately thought not only will this show never be close to NYINC in stature, but I can almost guarantee it will be a flop from the very beginning.

I hate to rain on anyone’s parade, but I think this must be said publicly. When this person was a high official at ANA, he showed up unannounced at the Mexico City show, ostensibly as an official representative of the ANA. I was present at the show from setup until tear down and witnessed these events firsthand.

The Mexican Numismatic Society, trying to be hospitable but without notice and put on the spot, gave this individual a half-table at a sold-out show so he could peddle his wares. Those wares consisted of, among other inappropriate things, political banknotes and medals depicting the then-sitting President of the United States, someone who made multiple very unkind comments about the country in which said individual was currently the guest of at a free table where those inappropriate things were on full display.

I have purposely tried to forget the unsavory actions and comments of said individual while at the show, so I cannot recount them here. Needless to say I was extremely embarrassed by this individual, on the part of my country and the ANA. And frankly, I couldn’t believe someone could be as incredibly insensitive as he was being.

You may have heard of the term “Ugly American” as related to American tourists abroad. Besides being tone deaf, this guy was the Ugly American in spades.

I cannot imagine a time or place where this person would be a good ambassador for anything, let alone world numismatics.

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Politics and personalities aside, an annual trip to Nashville would be a welcome addition to my travel schedule, and I'd like to support the show. Unfortunately, it's scheduled to run against USMEX, which means I have to skip IMEX this year.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Many dislike the individual, but I am willing to give the new show a chance. I agree that it will never be NYINC, but if - and it is a big if - he can convince some quality overseas dealers/auction houses to attend it will be a nice alternative for those who do not want to or cannot attend NYINC for what ever reason. Nashville in October would be a nice change. I wish him good luck for the shows sake.

Regardless of the qualities of the individual, Nashville as a location is not terribly viable.

London to Nashville?
    Berlin to Nashville?
    Mexico City, Lima, Panama City?

True enough - terrible flights.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Regardless of the qualities of the individual, Nashville as a location is not terribly viable.

London to Nashville?
    Berlin to Nashville?
    Mexico City, Lima, Panama City?

Agreed. Nor does it have the varied entertainment and dining options of NYC.

From the CW article, it seems the promoter promised the governor a big show in the state in exchange for his support on the sales tax issue.

Can he pull it off?

edited January 1, 2023 8:16AM

Oh, and by the way, that is the same weekend as the USMex Convention in Scottsdale.

Which also brings up a good point. You need the support of a (preferably large) club to put on a successful show.

@pruebas said:
    Oh, and by the way, that is the same weekend as the USMex Convention in Scottsdale.

Which also brings up a good point. You need the support of a (preferably large) club to put on a successful show.

What poor planning

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2023 8:27AM

His “ international show” runs smack dab into the 11th USMEX show which is slated 10/26-28 2023 …....and attendend by major auction firms and of course some Mexican dealers and mexican/ Latin American coin collector enthusiasts

I know which show I will be attending
    Not good planning on his part .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Bad timing, bad flights, but plenty to see, do, and eat. I’ll be attending.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

The inaugural IMEX show is also 2w before the Baltimore show, which will hurt collectors who have to budget their travels.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Amtrak in Nashville :D And if I ever get on a plane again I'm thinking Tokyo ;)

• RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

If you have never been to Japan I recommend you go, coins or no coins. It is a fascinating place in many ways.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2023 7:15AM

I want to acknowledge that I read this and would rather not comment further in an effort to insure the thread remains.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RSP said:
    If you have never been to Japan I recommend you go, coins or no coins. It is a fascinating place in many ways.

Totally agree. There's a money museum I somehow missed in Tokyo which was an egregious oversight on my part (my only excuse was I was busy with work). The big Tokyo coin show is fantastic of course (though I stood out like a sore thumb to say the least). And the mint in Osaka is an excellent visit too. But really, there is so much more and if I could do one thing it might be to visit a certain little yakitori stand. Even though I don't really eat much meat anymore.

Kyoto is gorgeous. Climbing Fuji-san is a bucket list thing for sure. Hiroshima is moving. A bullet train ride is a must. Shoot public transportation is a must! And one other rando thing I loved was the big taiko drumming event in Narita. If anyone is going to Japan sure, look at coins but that shouldn't be your focus. Food should be the focus ;).

And back to the thread topic...I would like to get to Nashville someday but for coins I question the location due to transportation alone. But I find the backstory very 'interesting' and will likely stick to NYINC, ANA, and Whitman in that order.

@Stork said:

And back to the thread topic...I would like to get to Nashville someday but for coins I question the location due to transportation alone. But I find the backstory very 'interesting' and will likely stick to NYINC, ANA, and Whitman in that order.

Ah, but a beautiful drive over the mountains in October? Priceless. Plus it would be nice to have an alternative. I am looking forward to the ANA Pittsburgh show as well.

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 354 ✭✭✭

There are worse places to put a trade show than a burgeoning city/metro area in terms of population migration, business and arts/entertainment.

I mean, someone mentioned Pittsburgh which has an ANA every few years. Happens to definitely be my kind of town, personally... but they are two areas on much different trajectories. If you had to start a show today, which would you pick?

Whether the person(s) who do the show pull it off in spite of their unbearably traumatizing Ugly Americanness... we'll see, I guess?

PS - Conflicting with the USMex convention is not ideal... but is that really a dealbreaker? You're talking a specific niche market - granted a quite popular one, but still. Also, it's on (almost) the other end of the country. Being close to fall Baltimore might be the bigger issue.

@realeswatcher said:
    There are worse places to put a trade show than a burgeoning city/metro area in terms of population migration, business and arts/entertainment.

I mean, someone mentioned Pittsburgh which has an ANA every few years. Happens to definitely be my kind of town, personally... but they are two areas on much different trajectories. If you had to start a show today, which would you pick?

Whether the person(s) who do the show pull it off in spite of their unbearably traumatizing Ugly Americanness... we'll see, I guess?

PS - Conflicting with the USMex convention is not ideal... but is that really a dealbreaker? You're talking a specific niche market - granted a quite popular one, but still. Also, it's on (almost) the other end of the country. Being close to fall Baltimore might be the bigger issue.

This may be the last show for Pittsburgh for a long time as I believe they have decided to keep it in Chicago from now on.

Nashville is booming and offers a lot.

Baltimore will be a challenge for Nashville. The Mexican show, I do not know much about it or whether European dealers attend in mass.

Heritage , Stacks Bowers, Daniel Sedwick , Steve Album all have attended USMEX …. for years .
    I don’t think European dealers attend

Unless those firms send out two teams to both shows I don’t see that changing anytime soon .

@Exbrit said:

@realeswatcher said:

This may be the last show for Pittsburgh for a long time as I believe they have decided to keep it in Chicago from now on.

Nashville is booming and offers a lot.

Baltimore will be a challenge for Nashville. The Mexican show, I do not know much about it or whether European dealers attend in mass.

European dealers going to Nashville? In your wildest dreams!

You'll be lucky if the show isn't canceled.

edited January 3, 2023 7:12PM

@pruebas said:
    European dealers going to Nashville? In your wildest dreams!

You'll be lucky if the show isn't canceled.

I really believe that it may turn into a decent regional show. International may have too many obstacles associated with it. In any event - Nashville will be fun. The below, may be a bit hard to live up to, but a regional show might work out well. British Airways has a non-stop from London. I’m sure some will come.

From Coin World:
    This will not be just another coin show. It is destined to become a must attend event, held in a world class facility in the heart of one of the country’s top destination cities, Nashville, Tennessee, ‘Music City USA.

The press release states that Nashville is one of the top cities to visit on people’s bucket list and a world class destination: It is home to the Grand Ole Opry, and Nashville’s BNA International Airport’s $1.2 billion remodeling project is under construction, “making it one of the best and easiest centrally located airports to fly in and out of in the world,” according to the press release.

“We hope to attract the best dealers and firms in the United States, but also many from Europe and Asia,” he said. “The Music City Center and the Visitor and Convention Corporation have been very helpful with the convention center and the hotel plans to support it.”

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nashville is an amazing city that many of you do but give enough credit.
    As I live in Birmingham, I will try to attend the show.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's within driving distance for me (five hours) but I'm guessing I would rather go to NYINC, when I can go.

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yorkshireman said:

Birmingham Alabama?

I live in Huntsville Alabama so I've hopes that the show will be somewhat successful. Maybe selfishly for my own interests but it is a nice thought to have a show so drivable. I will report back here assuming it goes ahead as planned and maybe do a show report. I think a lot of shows cannibalize each other sadly but willing to see what the fuss is about.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

He is here on the floor hustling dealers to attend the IMEX .

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio said:

@Yorkshireman said:

Birmingham Alabama?

I live in Huntsville Alabama so I've hopes that the show will be somewhat successful. Maybe selfishly for my own interests but it is a nice thought to have a show so drivable. I will report back here assuming it goes ahead as planned and maybe do a show report. I think a lot of shows cannibalize each other sadly but willing to see what the fuss is about.

Yes, B’ham, AL.
    I hope we can connect .
    PM me sometime.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

@bidask said:
    He is here on the floor hustling dealers to attend the IMEX .

That’s good - more the better

Gary Adkins Joins IMEX Money Convention
    Colonel Steven Ellsworth, ret. has announced the partnership of Gary Adkins will be joining the International Money Exposition. The convention and show will be held October 26th through 29th, 2023 at the Music City Center, Downtown Nashville, Tennessee. The event will be known as “IMEX”.

A couple of “Legends in their Own Mind” trying to drum up business for a coin show in their home state. Yawn.

@pruebas said:
    A couple of “Legends in their Own Mind” trying to drum up business for a coin show in their home state. Yawn.

:)

@pruebas said:

While not a fan of either of them, I do hope they succeed and much rather travel to Nashville than NYC these days.

edited January 23, 2023 9:57AM

@Exbrit said:

@pruebas said:

While not a fan of either of them, I do hope they succeed and much rather travel to Nashville than NYC these days.

Agreed in the hope they succeed. More coin shows is always good for the hobby and for the business. I’m just not getting sucked into the vortex of hype.

Too often, people think being an ex-ANA President makes one “special” in the American sense of the word. I tend to think it makes one “special” in the (translated) Mexican sense of the word.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

This show coinciding with USMEX in Arizona is a big no-go from me.

@Exbrit said:

@pruebas said:

Your MISSING out by not going to NYINC

• ClioClio Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Exbrit said:

@pruebas said:

Agreed in the hope they succeed. More coin shows is always good for the hobby and for the business. I’m just not getting sucked into the vortex of hype.

Too often, people think being an ex-ANA President makes one “special” in the American sense of the word. I tend to think it makes one “special” in the (translated) Mexican sense of the word.

There's more a vortex of dislike in this thread than hype. A few folks hoping for a show within a reasonable commute for them and then everyone else talking about how it's doomed to fail. Who knows, maybe it is. :(

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

@Clio said:

@pruebas said:

@Exbrit said:

@pruebas said:

There's more a vortex of dislike in this thread than hype. A few folks hoping for a show within a reasonable commute for them and then everyone else talking about how it's doomed to fail. Who knows, maybe it is. :(

Actually, I started this thread with a comment that the new show promoter has no business of trying to recruit attendance at his new project due to his lack of cultural sensitivity for people with other world views. Can you see a French or German person, just to name two proud, assertive cultures, willing to put up with this guy's antics? Heck, I'm from New Jersey and we give and take a lot of bs here, but I would be all too happy to never see this guy again.

The thread then morphed into his planning being as bad as his manners.

Coin dealers drop serious cash to set up at a show. Particularly international dealers. So they expect a decent return on their investment. If this guy can't even plan his show properly, do you really think he instills confidence of a good attendance of ready buyers/sellers?

Hard as it may be for me, I wish his show well. But this serious numismatist isn't going.

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

It is also the same dates as the Manchester NH show, which is a major Northeastern regional show. That's where we will be set up that week

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics