Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Completed 1936-1942 Cameo Proofs Die Catalog

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 26, 2023 5:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have completed my die catalog for all cameo dies from 1936-1942. It can be viewed ATS:
https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/429771-completed-1936-42-cameo-half-dollar-study/

For some reason their forum supports copying and pasting images, while the forums here do not. I'm not trying to promote ATS, but I also don't want to spend a half hour transferring images here for something that will probably garner little interest where I can just link it. It's all explained in depth over there, thanks! Feel free to comment or ask questions as well.

Note: I did include one extra die while anticipating what dies I would need, and as I finished up today I realized my error. It was all adjusted and fixed, and the die numbers now end at 30.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work. I think fake CAMS could still be made from somebody using the correct die pair coin thou.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive and a learning experience for me. Thanks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited December 31, 2022 5:51PM

@gumby1234 said:
    Nice work. I think fake CAMS could still be made from somebody using the correct die pair coin thou.

True, but this will certainly make it harder.

Edit: if this were to really take off (which it would to really have an effect on the coin doctors), I expect the die pairs listed may garner a slight premium. I doubt this will go much of anywhere though :smile:. I plan to use it as a reference guide for cherrypicking.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 6:36PM

@gumby1234 said:
    Nice work.

Agreed.

I think fake CAMS could still be made from somebody using the correct die pair coin thou.

I also wouldn’t rule out the possibility of new discovery cameo coins from dies not known to have produced other cameos thus far. About 10 years ago, a hoard of original proof sets from the era came to the market after the original owner died. The pieces were consigned to Scotsman. The hoard produced a nice 1942 designated cameo WLH and a second 1942 WLH that received a 67* that had frost comparable to designated examples. I’m not sure if the die pairs and the photos I have aren’t great. I hope to cross them (or at least have them reholdered) prior to reimagining. The point of all this being that fresh examples can still surface.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@gumby1234 said:
    Nice work.

Agreed.

I think fake CAMS could still be made from somebody using the correct die pair coin thou.

I also wouldn’t rule out the possibility of new discovery cameo coins from dies not known to have produced other cameos thus far. About 10 years ago, a hoard of original proof sets from the era came to the market after the original owner died. The pieces were consigned to Scotsman. The hoard produced a nice 1942 designated cameo WLH and a second 1942 WLH that received a 67* that had frost comparable to designated examples. I’m not sure if the die pairs and the photos I have aren’t great. I hope to cross them (or at least have them reholdered) prior to reimagining. The point of all this being that fresh examples can still surface.

I agree that there could be new die pairs that come out later - this won't be perfect just like how the CBH die catalogs aren't perfect. I'll try and update the die catalogs as new die pairs surface, but the goal is to put a dent in how easy it is to alter these coins. In addition, this can help collectors who want a type coin - they can see what die looks the best to them and find that die pair. There are many uses for this.

@cameonut2011, are these the coins you mentioned? The 1939 is a 65CAM and die pair CA-30, the 1942 is a 66CAM that is a CA-31 coin. There also was a 67* (should have been designated) that was also from CA-31. The set owner of these coins states the 1942s were from a 2014 Scotsman auction. CA-31 can be seen in auctions up until 2006, so the discovery of these coins was nothing new die wise.

• Options

Nickels have also been added to the thread ATS.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that certain die pairs have superior strike characteristics. I think the PCGS grading system does not give adequate to strike. I am happy that you are quantifying this important aspect of coin quality.

OINK

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. @FlyingAl . The images suck unfortunately.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl .... Excellent work. You certainly do provide us with detailed, extensive information that can prove most useful. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Bump.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent study, and represents a TON of work. Well done!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just drag and drop photos here. Wouldn’t that work for you (I haven’t gone to your link yet)?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    I just drag and drop photos here. Wouldn’t that work for you (I haven’t gone to your link yet)?

Yes, but there’s probably well over 100 photos. It would take an immense amount of time.

• Options

I'm going to TTT this one more time for anyone interested.

This was a huge undertaking, and literally every die that produced a cameo proof from 1936-1942 is cataloged, inventoried, marked, and described. This is a TON of research and information.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If anyone would want to see this published, let me know and I can see if I can get it prepared for publishing. I'd want some strong support for it though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file