Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did this toner go for fair money?

Not a common date for toners, and this one comes with nice colors(pinks and greens), on both sides and vivid but not full covering and a lower grade.
Toner experts did this morgan go for fair money?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202856776936?

Comments

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Too much for me, as I recall a decade or two ago purchasing these for $300. raw or $500. already graded. It isn't easy to get those memories out of my mind when I see the pricing now in the thousands (for under MS65 coins to boot).

    peacockcoins

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll bet previous owner thinks it was fair!

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

    The price may be fair, but seems very expensive for color that darkens over time.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 4:04PM

    I don’t think so. The colors are on the darker end of the spectrum and are not vibrant. The luster looks somewhat muted to me. The most expensive coins are vibrant neon rainbow toners with vibrant luster. Granted I’ve been out of the this market for a bit, but I’d you had asked me to guess the price it would sell for in a no reserve auction, I would have guessed $225-$275. Of course ownership adds a digit or so for the owner so I’ve heard. 😜

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

    P.S. Sometimes eBay will post incorrect prices realized on BIN or OBO listings and make it look like it sold for the full $5600 asking price. I suspect it probably sold for less.

  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I find it hard to believe that was the actual price. 1889 is a tougher date for color but there are some nice ones out there. The reverse color is quite pretty and having both sides toned is fairly rare, but I don’t see this coin selling for more than $600-$800 as a 62.

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:
    P.S. Sometimes eBay will post incorrect prices realized on BIN or OBO listings and make it look like it sold for the full $5600 asking price. I suspect it probably sold for less.

    This site says it sold for $1250

    https://130point.com/sales/

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No way, never ever, not happening... I would never pay such a premium just for colorful tarnish. Environmental damage, that, should I really desire such condition, I could do myself, and likely a better result. :s Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

    Not a fan of toners
    Ludacris if someone paid that for year and grade

  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

    True Morgan color aficionados won't touch something like this as at only MS62 it's like a pretty hub cap with road rash.

    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LazybonesLazybones Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think what @ricko is trying to say is...

    USAF (Ret) 1974 - 1994 - The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. Remembering RickO, a brother in arms.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It's not for me, but might be right for you.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @davewesen said:

    @cameonut2011 said:
    P.S. Sometimes eBay will post incorrect prices realized on BIN or OBO listings and make it look like it sold for the full $5600 asking price. I suspect it probably sold for less.

    This site says it sold for $1250

    https://130point.com/sales/

    That seems more reasonable.

  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2023 11:41AM

    @Zoins said:

    @davewesen said:

    @cameonut2011 said:
    P.S. Sometimes eBay will post incorrect prices realized on BIN or OBO listings and make it look like it sold for the full $5600 asking price. I suspect it probably sold for less.

    This site says it sold for $1250

    https://130point.com/sales/

    That seems more reasonable.

    It's still about double what something like this would typically sell for (maybe even triple). But yes more reasonable than $5,600!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file