Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many Numismatic items did you purchase in 2022?

goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased 23 coins both US and Foreign, zero currency and one Red Book. I was surprised that I had bought that many coins this year.

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased 3 coins.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably several hundred but most were rolls of BU cents. Individual coins about 10 raw and 10 slabbed.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

15-20 including pickups for the wife and kids and some slab boxes.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots. More than I will buy in 2023. It was fun.

:)

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took advantage of the buying frenzy at FUN and sold all but a few treasured items. No purchases this year.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 7:11AM

Six minor bullion-related items and one "real" though comparatively inexpensive collector coin.

I also ordered something pretty cool just this week but it won't be here until mid January so I'm looking at it more like a 2023 acquisition.

mirabela
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

27 that I can count right now with 11 that arrived today on 12/31.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am new, so there are several. I bought 10 coin books, renewed my EAC membership, renewed my Greysheet membership, 2 Dansco albums. I bought about 20 coins to advance my sets.

Gosh that's 34.

My plan for 2023 is different. I will probably still buy several books, but I am only looking to buy 2-4 coins that are at the upper end of my "per coin" budget and will collectively come-in ~my annual budget.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 12:17PM

One unique coin per day is my goal.

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

At least 100

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 slabbed coins and few things during a visit to the Philly mint with my daughter's family. A mint set for each of the kids and a 1/10 oz gold commem for me.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

Zero. I'm a patient collector.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    I bought at least 22 PCGS graded coins this year for the three U.S. Type sets that I am working on.

Below is my last pickup of the year. This arrived on 12/30/2022.

My goal for 2023 is to focus on and finish my "Basic U.S. Coin Design Set (1792-present)"

Happy hunting to all for 2023!!!

Donato

Basically ditto on all. I only need the Draped Bust $10 and I will complete that type set. Money is set aside for it, just need to find an example I like.

• Options

Great post! Fun to look back!

6 Mint State Morgan's (I am a toner guy)
    Draped Bust 1806/5 Large Stars 50 Cent VF CAC
    1835 Capped Bust 50 Cent AU 50 (toner - not CAC)
    1838 Capped Bust Reeded Edge 50 Cent AU 53 (toner - not CAC)
    1902 Liberty $2.5 MS 65 (love Gold CAC)
    1907 Liberty $2.5 MS 66 (not CAC)
    1884 Liberty $10 AU 55 (love Gold CAC)
    1897 Liberty $20 MS 63 (CAC)

Whew! I have started posting pictures (taken by Gerry Fortin - still figuring this out on my own), and am still "learning" my way on the threads! Mike

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 1:38PM

Bought 32 and sold 41, not counting rolls. Probably 15 or so bu rolls, which I keep.
    Jim
    Edited to add: I also bought 9 new coin books, 7 of which are early large and early half cent books.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bunch, I started an Australian 5 Cent set, so a bunch of raw coins, that I had PCGS grade as well as keeping up with my Canadian 5 Cent and Jefferson sets.

For my Liberty Nickel Set, I upgraded 4 MS65's to MS66. Also picked up quite a few raw varieties.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 12:40PM

28 PCGS slabs and a few books.

Edit: I also sold almost as many slabs, now that I look at it.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 3:02PM

Three MS Seated Dollars and a MS Morgan.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally managed to get a whole bunch of my stuff graded.
    Have a full set of Morgans in slabs sans the 1895 and instead of upgrades, was very tempted to complete the Dansco collection in the raw instead of busting it out from slabs, but am too chicken to do it with all the fakes floating around.
    So picked up partial collections of Barber as well as Mercury dimes to sift through them but most were lower grade than what is already in my collection.
    Notably, perhaps my first time that NOTHING was bought from the mint. :blush:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I’m not mistaken, 23 coins.
    Plus a few pieces of silverware, another thing I avidly collect no currency surprisingly. A few select pieces of pottery although I’ve slowed down with that.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought several of these about 6 months ago.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

According to my wife, way too many.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least 31 slabbed ones and about 5 raw ones

Mr_Spud

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 4 coins, but I sold 7

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I'm not sure I recognize that. Is it an adapter for old ANACs slabs to fit in PCGS boxes?

I bought 45 coins: 31Barber quarters, 11 large cents, 2 Washington quarters, and a New Jersey copper.
    39 certified & 6 raw coins.
    Sold 14 raw coins and just one graded one, an 1804 large cent.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Is it an adapter for old ANACs slabs to fit in PCGS boxes?

Exactly! For a generic box that holds PCGS, ANACS (older and newer slabs), NGC, VSS and ICG slabs.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't incriminate myself, so I'll admit to not buying any, I got all of them in change. :D

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a total of 48 coins. 12 gold, 8 copper and 28 silver. All from GreatCollections.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 8:08PM

Bought a few items this year.
    The last was this Ottoman Empire (Turkey) "silver dollar" in November 2022:

Turkey 20 Kurush 1877 (AH 1293-2)
    Silver, 37.0 mm, 23.50 gm, Constantinople Mint, Sultan Abdul Hamid II

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

this looks about right.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every year I do a review of my coin purchases and additions to see if any goals were met and remind myself of perhaps some additions I already forgot about. To me it was a slow year and from the start I knew I would be either upgrading existing coins, flipping what I could cherry pick and put that money towards my collection and pick up a few lesser known varieties for the fun of it. I also focused on trying to keep my three # 1 proof sets alive which I was able to do until this fall but 2 are already passed up so my assumption is my last # 1 registry set should perish very soon in 2023.

I probably made more money this year selling Lincoln cents than any previous year thanks to both the strong market and Great Collections. Any coin I upgraded, plus numerous cherry picks made me over $4,100 and I spent $5,500 during the year. I would have sold more but the slow grading times prevented me from bringing additional coins to market at the end of this year. Of all the coins purchased this year (55) I sold 27. I still have 8 sitting at PCGS now that will be sold but I do not expect to get them back till March.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how many coins I bought in 2022, will need to check my records. Pretty sure it's less than 5-7 coins

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 -12 coins, 4-5 seated halves, 2-3 seated dimes, and a few Franklin's.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Just a few medals with a nautical theme, and a couple of coins early in the year that attracted me. This was a slow year in coins for me. Spent a fair amount of time with coin books, and also looking online. Just did not see a lot that demanded to join my collection. I really like the CWT Our Navy '61 that I picked up. Cheers, RickO

Likewise though I did end the year with acquiring a four figure coin that I had been looking for to meet a need.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin ... That coin sounds interesting... Follow up with pictures when you can. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    smalltimesmalltime Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Thousands of Kennedy Half Dollars that I use for making the sets I sell on Ebay.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2023 5:24PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

One unique coin per day is my goal.

January 4th, 2023

I have bought 4 TPG unique coins so far this year in 2023.

It may be hard to keep up, this pace :#

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

0, although I look almost everyday.

Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file