Home U.S. Coin Forum

1860-O H10C new pickup

I cannot get this right. I played with several lights, angles. I think the issue might be that I am using a galaxy A13 phone and it has a 50megapixel camera and not an actual
camera . I will eventually get good at imaging coins. This coin is so beautiful in hand to me. The colors that pop out if this coin are amazing. I see the true view images of toned coins and I want to be able to take the same pictures. I have never owned anything like it. It makes me smile! I hope it makes you smile too....

Comments

• Actually those pics aren't that bad. Maybe just a little out of focus. Do you hold your phone when you take the picture or use a stand? If you use a stand are you using the timer to take the picture? I have a couple of Seated dimes that have color like yours.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

you're close and your camera is most likely fine. i am still HAPPILY using an iphone 6s and getting darn good results if i do say so myself. ;)

put the coin in the top part of a cardboard 2x2, it will sit down on the plastic but not slide away, hold your camera in one hand and the flip in the other. move em around WITHOUT taking a picture. keep looking at the screen until you find some sweet spots, then take some pics. try to get your light up higher or the coin below the surface the light is sitting on.

hands-DOWN, i keep telling people, you gotta move the stuff around to find those sweet spots until your experience permits otherwise.

you can do it!

here is just a random image. hope it helps. :)

1 light, 1 camera phone

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

If you want to get better, the first place to start is getting a decent camera, along with a copy stand or similar (I use a camera mount that is mounted to my desk), and 2 or 3 lights. I have recently discovered that a ring light on my camera actually does have some uses (ie raw toned coins). Also some decent macro lenses will help for closeups. Even a copy stand designed for a phone camera and some lights can help a lot as you will not be fighting a steady hand and focus.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here as there are many who are eager to help and are very knowledgeable... And don't be afraid to experiment. If you've seen any of my posts, you will know that I didn't get to where I'm at overnight... 6 months of experimenting, asking for help and experimenting some more!

Good luck and keep at it!

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most difficult part of half dime collecting isn't finding them or paying for them. It's imaging them.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most difficult part of half dime collecting isn't finding them or paying for them. It's imaging them.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• I love them. Half dimes a bust dimes. I don't know what it is but man they do it for me.
    If anyone has upgraded and is interested in selling I might need a couple. Keep me in mind. I am a little fussy, shouldn't we all be?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the coin. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your photos are pretty darn good and the camera in your phone has plenty of resolution. It is just a matter a focus, stability and lighting angle at this point for you. In my opinion, you are doing a terrific job at images.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• goldengolden Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes me smile!

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to hear that enthusiasm, especially went directed towards half dimes.

I find it helpful when imaging half dimes to place my loupe lens over the phone's camera lens. It helps me get a little closer up on the coin and sharpens the focus a great deal.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did well with the lighting. As good as phone cameras have become, they still aren't up to speed with a traditional DSLR. Getting good photos takes time, trial and error, and experience.

I like the series and the coin. I think I got my 1860-O in a similar condition from between the pages of an old LOC album.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your images are very good... Focus is the only comment I would make... just a tad bit of fuzziness in the pictures. Even so, far better than I can do. Cheers, RickO

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin. Looks lightly circulated.

• I believe it is an AU coin also. It was in a ms64 holder but I didn't agree with the grade. I took it out of the slab. I do not buy coins to make money. I do this for a hobby. It is an investment in a way. I bought this coin right, I mean really right so removing it from the holder was a non issue.

• @Watchtower said:
    I believe it is an AU coin also. It was in a ms64 holder but I didn't agree with the grade. I took it out of the slab. I do not buy coins to make money. I do this for a hobby. It is an investment in a way. I bought this coin right, I mean really right so removing it from the holder was a non issue.

What holder was that?

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:
    I believe it is an AU coin also. It was in a ms64 holder but I didn't agree with the grade. I took it out of the slab. I do not buy coins to make money. I do this for a hobby. It is an investment in a way. I bought this coin right, I mean really right so removing it from the holder was a non issue.

Interesting. I'm curious to what holder it was in.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome little coin! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file