Home U.S. Coin Forum

Added another Bob Grellman Large Cent to my Newcomb Late Date Set

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1854 N-2 is PCGS MS62 and is from Bob Grellman's Collection. She is a really nice addition to my growing Late Date Newcomb set. Starting this set has allowed me the freedom to add coins like this...that have an interesting story. Grellman literally wrote the book on Late Date Large Cents. I like knowing he used this coin for his reference. With 373 different varieties I know completion is not realistic...but maybe getting half is a worthy goal. Have you started any sets that you know you will never complete. If so..why?

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:

Have you started any sets that you know you will never complete. If so..why?

With the rarity of the key date in my only series set, Chopmarked Trade Dollars, (estimates range from 1 to maybe 5 chopped 75Ps in existence) I will probably never finish the set. I love the coin design and the history and uniqueness of each coin.

I always thought I would be bored with putting together a date/mm (how many identical versions of coin x does anyone really need?) set but I continue to be fascinated by this series.

• ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Very nice example. I love the hersheys chocolate brown. Congratulations

I will probably never complete my Lincoln set. Always upgrading for the next 30 years

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, congrats on the coin. It's beautiful!

I do not expect that I will "finish" my half cent collection. I am building a business strike date set, but omitting the 1796, 1831 and 1836. I am also adding a few varieties like the 1804 C-6 (Spiked Chin) and the 1828 C-2 (12 Star). My collection will be incomplete by pure definition, but it will have some depth and I am excited to get it to where I want it. It will be a nice group of coins.

Collecting this way, I set the finish line for myself (and have options to extend the race to suit my interest and budget).

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition! Anything associated with Grellman is a winner.

** Have you started any sets that you know you will never complete. If so..why? **

Barber quarters, loved them but had no desire to obtain the big three in the series. Seated halves, loved those also, but way too many tough issues. Both sets were easy to sell when I wearied of them.
    Large cents - love those also. Not sure if I’ll ever finish the date and major variety set. Still need the 1799, a Chain, a 93 liberty cap, etc. But proud of the ones I do have, especially the middle dates.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin! I'm sort of a sucker for Grellman cards too... love the provenance.

...sets I'll ever finish... Large Cents! lol!! Now, I just collect nice pieces I can [somewhat] afford... unless I hit the lottery, I'll never own a 93 Chain or Liberty Cap..1799, 1804, etc...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    With 373 different varieties I know completion is not realistic...but maybe getting half is a worthy goal.

what, in your estimation, are the challenges prohibiting doing so?

available material, buying the rarities, having them all in graded plastic, available finances...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC seeing that our friend DLH is at 96% with unlimited resources lets me know it ain't so easy. It does give me a little pleasure knowing that my 1840 Small Date N-12 is one our friend needs. I offered it to him through DLRC but he declined the price I was asking. Maybe when he gets to 99% my price will seem more reasonable.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC seeing that our friend DLH is at 96% with unlimited resources lets me know it ain't so easy. It does give me a little pleasure knowing that my 1840 Small Date N-12 is one our friend needs.

unless your net wealth is in the 7-9 figures, i doubt comparing yourself to a billionaire is an effective way to set goals for yourself and just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he can't. (even some of the people in his circles don't fully know how/why he does/doesn't buy certain things, especially if you've followed the conversations about him)

don't get me wrong, it is a challenge to get all the marriages but DLH i suspect is trying to maintain a level of quality when possible along with some personal preferences. those will restrict him, whereas you don't need to be bound by those.

if you contact enough eac guys, watch the big auctions throughout the year, look for big copper collections, the coins will mostly be there. so that leaves the personal preferences. slabbed vs not, what level of condition etc.

personally, where a person may think to buy higher grades for the more common ones, i personally would steer away from that and buy BELOW the quality that may appeal because over the course of that many coins, saving a little bit on a big handful of commons will come in handy when it is time to pick up the toughies.

getting out to some eac conventions and big shows partially just to see what is out there, what it looks like, how it is priced, pick up a few cards etc will help IF you have any inkling to do a full late-date marriage set. :)

i hope i get to see the thread where you state, well guys, i'm up to 350 now and it is getting tough....

happy hunting

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Building sets has never been a major attraction for me. I have done the CC Morgan set, Franklin halves, Kennedy halves up to a point...and ASE's until they skipped a year. Now, it is just coins that attract me, for various reasons. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file