Home U.S. Coin Forum

What happened to this wheat penny?

Comments

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage. It could have happened in many different ways.

• I don't understand how that's post mint damage though?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

It probably spent some time in a parking lot. Or you could use your imagination on how it happened. Your guess will be as good as anyone's. One thing is for sure, it didn't leave the mint like that. Your coin is damaged. Better known as PMD = Post Mint Damage. Welcome to the forum.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Beattymom said:
    I don't understand how that's post mint damage though?

Post means, AFTER it left the mint.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I was trying to alter the 4 to a 1, then add a D underneath

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Beattymom said:
    I don't understand how that's post mint damage though?

Are you asking what the definition of post-mint damage is? If so, it means damage that has occurred to the coin after the minting process. That is, typically damage while in circulation.

Alternatively, are you asking what could produce this type of post-mint damage? If so, take a cent you find and drop it on a parking lot and then scrape it under your shoe a few times. Pick it up, look at it and you have one way a coin could be damaged this way.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• How could it have moved the line all the way over to the clear four without either chipping off or leaving an impression where it was to begin with?

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Beattymom said:
    How could it have moved the line all the way over to the clear four without either chipping off or leaving an impression where it was to begin with?

Copper is ductile.
    It can move/distort without breaking off.
    This is one of the reason it's used for electrical wiring (another reason is that it's a great conductor).

• Thank you for explaining something still pretty obvious, though I hadn't considered it, and not explaining how the English language works 🙃

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Beattymom said:
    How could it have moved the line all the way over to the clear four without either chipping off or leaving an impression where it was to begin with?

Take a screwdriver and you can do it yourself.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

parking lot find got ran over a few times

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking parking lot also.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I has the "parking lot penny" look.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Beattymom... Welcome aboard. Yes, it is damage that occurred long after the Mint released the coin. As suggested, likely dropped on a street or parking lot and driven over, walked over several times. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file