Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US 1870-S $3 Gold Unique PCGS SP-50

2»

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i have nothing for or against the coin or what it may sell for but after reading some about it (again) and looking at the images/vids, it looks like to me the coin still has polishing compound on the obv in the devices.

so did a "potentially" polished coin AND graffitied get straight-graded?

Very late to the thread since it already sold.

Just wanted to comment that I think it's ok to get a straight grade. I presume it was "net graded".

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

Won’t be coming home with me but I did get to check it out!

I almost spit out my beer! Thought you bought that, FloridaFacelifter old pal. Would have been a great coin to bring to the Saturday Morning With Coins thread! 😆

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

I almost spit out my beer! Thought you bought that, FloridaFacelifter old pal. Would have been a great coin to bring to the Saturday Morning With Coins thread! 😆

Ha! Sure would have been!

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the end the buyer is most likely very happy and knows that this is a once in a life time buy.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 11:14PM

@breakdown said:

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    For sure it will sell for much more than it is worth if there are more than one serious bidder. Bass probably paid much more than it was really worth but he needed it........

I bet that Hansen will not go over 5.5M.

OINK

Turns out to be an interesting comment.

More an interesting guess. I understand that the successful bidder also bought the $4 Stella. Hansen NEEDED both. He is way too invested in his collection to have this hole forever........

It is only an assumption that Hansen has to completely replicate the Eliasberg set. But he has a much more complete collection of proof coinage than Eliasberg. Elisasberg collected in a time where there was not so much distinction, from a collecting perspective, between circulation strikes and proofs. I have always found that interesting because proofs have always been the ultimate collector coin.

OINK

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

That photo is worth more than the thousands of words here. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file